Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

thermals - how cheap??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
Cn you buy cheap thermals ( off the market!! type) or is it worth paying the £27 in M & S?

Thanks for your help
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know what the science will say in relation to certain materials and there wicking effects. I also know what some of the gear heads on here will say.

However, i also know that i have some very unattractive thermals from the market that have never left me cold.

I also have some expensive stuff that is very nice too, and looks a whole lot better - we're all shallow gear heads at heart you see;-) wink

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 5-02-07 18:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It depends how much you feel the cold and, of course, on how cold you expect it to be. I only need thermals in the coldest conditions. If I were you I'd buy the cheapest, or none at all, and upgrade in Lofer (assuming that the transparent automata are still functioning on all cylinders) if it turns out chilly.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
minicat, I've just purchased some Odlo thermals, and found them exceptionally good.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think it depends on how much you sweat and how active you're going to be. If the answer is not much then it's not so important to buy expensive stuff, but if you do sweat then the lightweight, breathable, moisture-wicking materials will keep you warmer and feel more comforatable.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Beware of M and S Thermals some are just cotton which is not good

I am using new ones from Lidl and Aldi this year and they are really good
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I buy base layer stuff from the yacht chandlers - Musto and Gill stuff. Not the cheapest - at just under £20 for long johns and same for long sleeved tops. But they are close fitting, extremely comfortable, anti-bacterial, stay dry and I use them for other things as well like working outdoors, dogging (well, dog walking). My Musto long johns have been worn through 3 winters and a few ski holidays and are still good as new. All I wear on bottom half when skiing is my LJs and my lightly insulated trousers, and top half is the long sleeved top, microfleece (if cold) and outer shell. I never get too hot in the LJs - they regulate temperature well, and any stickyness between legs and inside of ski trousers. Must check out the Lidl stuff if I ever see any, but I dead happy with Musto and Gill. Never a fan of M&S as they're always too expensive for what you get - I think that about all their clothing though! Molly old stuff....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
minicat, Decathlon (Quechua) do very effective cheap ones. Well impressed...

Also, good wicking facrics make an enormous difference to your comfort levels. As they say, "Cotton'll kill ya"
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Which? magazine did a test on thermals a couple of years back, and price did not seem to bear any relation to how good the material was at wicking moisture. So don't be put off buying cheap ones as they are probably just as good as the name brands. Have a look at this lot:

http://www.thermalsdirect.co.uk/

I have skied in both cotton and thermal base layers and not really noticed much difference at all. However, I don't sweat much, and it might be different if I had a big accident and then had to lie in the snow for a while waiting to be rescued. In those circumstances you might get very cold very quickly in damp cotton clothing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
the ice perv, do you remember if there was a relation between price and odour? or between price and static cling?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex, Laughing good point - esp the odour! I can wear my Mustos all week without even a whiff of fried onions or fish, and I'm a sweater.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i am in the forces and when on exercise i wear womens tights to keep my legs warm(not a perv, well not much Embarassed ) they seem to work fine.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
so how do explain the frilly bra? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jase2472, do you wear full tights, hold-ups or crotchless? I prefer the hold-ups and crotchless as they give much better ventilation. Full tights make me a bit sticky in places.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I bought some nice half price thermal zip neck shirts in ribbed black from an outlet store. As they look good I can wear a clean one to go out in the evening and then use it for skiing the next two days. There is also an antibacterial spray for clothing I just noticed (my Lowe Alpine powerstretch tights came ready treated with it and didn't smell after 6 days use). I really rated those things for the legs, much better than normal thermals for high activity comfort in my case. I'll defo buy another pair.
snow conditions
thanks
liked the Oldo but only have xl left in mens!
latest report
Scarpa, try the Lowe Alpine powerstretch top to match, warmest top i have ever worn, its not often cold enough to wear it. I think i would sweat to death if i wore the legs aswell
snow report
Primark had £1.50 ladies thermals last weekend . . . .
snow conditions
Merino Wool is expensive but very comfortable and doesn't stink so you can wear if for a few days and don't need to pack as much.
Plus you can ski and then Apres Ski without stinking.
snow conditions
DB,

Merino are just a type of sheep...(pretty large numbers in NZ and Oz)

the trick with wool thermals is to check the wool quality...

Merino wool comes in various grades depending on the micron sizes... fine, superfine, ultrafine etc

You can probably find these on internet.... the super dooper expensive very fine wooled ones live indoors in climate controlled conditions - if they come out to play they wear jackets! Wool from these fellas worth a small fortune per fleece ....

Sorry - used to live just down the road from the indoor sheep in a previous life.... and "wool week" with sheep in jackets sitting in sports cars etc and all the "party stuff" is ... well... different! Shocked
latest report
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wool

wiki has the micron sizes and grades
snow report
little tiger,

Gettaway next you'll be telling me milk comes from the cows and not from the milkman Wink
snow conditions
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=456665&highlight=merino#456665

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=539710&highlight=merino#539710

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=528103&highlight=merino#528103
snow report
http://www.merinos.com.au/history.asp

and this has photos of the difference in merinos
snow conditions
The point is the wool works and feels different depending on the TYPE of wool (micron size) not the BREED of sheep...

(merinos are really mongrel crossbred things that resulted from much crossing of sheep early in Oz history to get the sheep that would tolerate climate etc)

I never buy less than superfine for thermals - it makes a BIG difference

YOU are welcome to buy thermals made of STRONG merino... I hope your skin is tough...
snow report
Quote:

do you remember if there was a relation between price and odour? or between price and static cling?

Nope, but I wear cheap ones and I don't stink! If you stink it is a personal thing - don't blame your clothing!
snow report
Yup, Icebreaker, from New Zealand, is some of the best base & mid-layer stuff you can buy. It may be exxey, but it breathes well, wicks well, and does not stink. Have a bunch now and would not go back to synthetic thermals.

Apart from cost, the only downside is that they cannot go into a tumble dryer.
latest report
ulmerhutte, yeah they use superfine merino.... but was better when they manufactured in Kiwi land I think.... I worry about the move to china for production Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the ice perv wrote:
Quote:

do you remember if there was a relation between price and odour? or between price and static cling?

Nope, but I wear cheap ones and I don't stink! If you stink it is a personal thing - don't blame your clothing!

Thermals stink mainly because of sweat that builds up. When I'm pottering around the piste it's not much of a problem but when skiing hard (e.g. skining / booting up 100's of metres or fighting with moguls for a few hours) like most other normal people I sweat.
snow conditions
ulmerhutte wrote:
Yup, Icebreaker, from New Zealand, is some of the best base & mid-layer stuff you can buy. It may be exxey, but it breathes well, wicks well, and does not stink. Have a bunch now and would not go back to synthetic thermals.

I bought some for my last trip in a mixture of thicknesses, excellent quality stuff and I'll certainly be getting some more soon. It was lasting me several days at a time without getting stinky and does squash down well for travelling.
Got it from here - http://shop.themountainfactor.com/section.php?xSec=127
snow report
Hmmmm, I've just this morning received the merino samples for 08 from NZ. Some really nice stuff.
I gotta support the old man back home. He's always wingeing that manmade fibres will be the end of him. (hes a sheep farmer in case you didn't pick up on it) Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy