Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which of these all mountain skis K2 Rec or Fischer AMC 76 or 79

Poster: A snowHead
Assuming I sell my Dynastar Legend 4800s (for sale in Buy Sale or Exchange) though I think I've got a buyer, I'm going to treat myself to a ski for good snow days. I intend to have off piste lessons subject to conditions while on holiday. Already ski on Fischer RX8 for my piste ski. The choice above is primarily dictated by price from well know German ski retailers, so I'm not going to be able to test.

I'm 6 ft 3 15st (36 years old). Reasonably fit. Ski at present on piste but seeking to rectify. While I could go for an 80mm plus ski, there are none in the price bracket I've set which is broadly no more than £200.

The choices are Apache K2 Rec probably in 181 length. Price with marker M11 binding 279 euros plus p&p (Ellis brigham sell this for near £500)
Fischer AMC 76 probably go for it 182 length. I guess I'd win an ebay bid on this with ski bilek 250-270 euros
or
Fischer AMC 79 (similar price again with an ebay bid-have seen them go for as little as 205 euros) not sure whether I'd go 176 or 182 length

The latter is the fattest ski of the three. Anyone with views on the respective merit of the three skis? Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Since you have the RX8 already, I'd go for the AMC 79 as a second ski and definitely 182 length for your height/weight.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
uktrailmonster wrote:
Since you have the RX8 already, I'd go for the AMC 79 as a second ski and definitely 182 length for your height/weight.

any views on the recon?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dan100, I know the Recon and it will take a foray in soft stuff but it might not be so very much better there than the RX8 so not worth the difference.

If you are getting into doing more stuff then a more helpful - and wider- ski might work... I'd take the Outlaw over the Recon if you could.

Or go for Karmas or a B3 or last years Mantra. I mention these skis as I feel they will have enough oomph to bash through stubborn unhelpful snow that would knock the Recon and RX8 types about and that is the most difficult stuff to come to terms with IMV. Any ski can do ok and turn in fresh stuff, its the crud you get the other 80% of the time that is the problem
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT wrote:
dan100, I know the Recon and it will take a foray in soft stuff but it might not be so very much better there than the RX8 so not worth the difference.

If you are getting into doing more stuff then a more helpful - and wider- ski might work... I'd take the Outlaw over the Recon if you could.

Or go for Karmas or a B3 or last years Mantra. I mention these skis as I feel they will have enough oomph to bash through stubborn unhelpful snow that would knock the Recon and RX8 types about and that is the most difficult stuff to come to terms with IMV. Any ski can do ok and turn in fresh stuff, its the crud you get the other 80% of the time that is the problem

Good viewpoint. I could get the outlaw for the same price as the recon 279 euros. So its AMC 79 or K2 Outlaw on the basis of dismissing the AMC76 as being too narrow. Not the most scientific approach I admit.

More views welcomed
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dan100 wrote:
More views welcomed

AMC 79 has a nice friendly soft tip and a decent sidecut for very reasonable performance in chopped snow, ice patches and the occasional refrozen death cookie/ coral reef but the 182cm will be really pushed to the limit under your weight for any float in truly deep off-piste. Meaning one will be obliged to ski fast and keep momentum, without the option to duck in and out of tree pockets or anything requiring major speed changes. Go Atua. Don't let the "expert ski" reviews fool you, it is much friendlier than some others of that size.

Or find a Sugar Daddy in 173cm.

[/opinionatedblather]
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dan100, I've a pair of brand new unused Atomic Sugar Daddy's in 173cm for sale c/w brand new CR412 bindings. They're the 04 AFT (Atomic Freeride Team) model with stats of 124/99/114 & a 28m radius.

And, as comprex says, 173cm is the right length for your weight in this ski as it's reasonably stiff. Basically a way better ski than the one's you're considering wink

They've been fully prepped (hot scrape clean, two applications of base prep wax, Dominator uni wax & edges super polished) & are an absolute steel at £225 + postage if required.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT wrote:

In terms of the Outlaw how does it perform as an all rounder on the piste if we are having a mixed day? What length 174 or 181? Could I get away with the shorter length?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm an inch shorter and and a stone and a half lighter and I'd ski the Recon and Outlaw in 181 The Recon doesn't really do anything the Outlaw can't and the robustness of it will help crush crappy snow. It has an 88mm waiste but the days of skis that wide being tankers have gone. If you are running gates then that is not its best party trick but the Recon isn't your ski of choice there either.

It may be poss' to get away with an Outlaw in 174...maybe, but defo not for the Recon. All my falls last year on a Recon were caused by tip diving. I just don't get peeps skiing an off-psite ski too short, you have to worry about balance etc. If I find the Outlaw this year, I'll use the 181 or go for a Mantra..which is a blinding ski at 184 and 96mm
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT wrote:
I'm an inch shorter and and a stone and a half lighter and I'd ski the Recon and Outlaw in 181 The Recon doesn't really do anything the Outlaw can't and the robustness of it will help crush crappy snow. It has an 88mm waiste but the days of skis that wide being tankers have gone. If you are running gates then that is not its best party trick but the Recon isn't your ski of choice there either.

It may be poss' to get away with an Outlaw in 174...maybe, but defo not for the Recon. All my falls last year on a Recon were caused by tip diving. I just don't get peeps skiing an off-psite ski too short, you have to worry about balance etc. If I find the Outlaw this year, I'll use the 181 or go for a Mantra..which is a blinding ski at 184 and 96mm

How does the outlaw hold on ice? I asked the qn about length in view of sypderjon's offer on the 173 sugar daddy's albeit on a fatter ski. I prob think I would go for the longer ski.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dan100,

Tried the Outlaw at the PSB which was on a wind-blown glacier so that was a good test. I put it up against the Mission and X-wing Fury and it won the day there, IMV I posted as much a while back. It has a GS type turn which will be your friend in deeper stuff but easy enough th through around.

The skis, I have tested this season have been

Outlaw
Snake BC
Mantras
X wing Fury
Mission
Movement Sparks.

All hold an edge well enough and not a problem at all to use on piste. The Mantras were best off piste and the Snakes BC, Outlaw and Sparks had the best edge hold, IMV.
None of them are a bad ski by any means IMO
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the advice guys. The ski choice is the Fischer AMC 79. I ended up winning it on a ski bilek auction for the price of 171 euros (£110).

there are some great deals out there as my first post shows with the K2 Recon/Outlaw both availiable from ski conrad for under £200.

I'll post a review when I come back from St Anton in March Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dan100, That's a great deal. Hope you enjoy your new toys.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks. I should have said thanks for your offer. I suspect my skiiing not yet up to waist deep powder in the trees on a 96mm wide ski nor trying to ski on a ski that wide on piste. They sound a good deal and hope someone worthy of them gets them
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What is Ski Conrad? Can't find it in Google, it the same as Ski Bilek?
snow conditions
Where did you find them for £200, I can only find them for €499?
snow conditions
http://www.sport-conrad.net/Warenkorb/check_out.asp?CartPack=70005214*72103726

I don't know if this link will take you there directly.

If it doesn't click on the K2 specials on the home page. It should be the first ski there. the price will be 299 euros. Then choose the freeride package. This enables you to choose the binding. Choose marker M11. Bizarrely this takes the price down to 279 Euros. You can it have it more expensive with the various choice of bindings that exist. I would have thought the M11 binding will be adequate
snow conditions
Just bought a pair of Fischer AMC76 from Ski-Bilek (via eBay). Incl binding mount, extra wax coat, delivery........(drumroll)........

£109 Very Happy

how do they make a profit?? The bad news is I'm not going away again until April. Bah! Sad
ski holidays
the ice perv wrote:
Just bought a pair of Fischer AMC76 from Ski-Bilek (via eBay). Incl binding mount, extra wax coat, delivery........(drumroll)........

£109 Very Happy

how do they make a profit?? The bad news is I'm not going away again until April. Bah! Sad

Arrgh You beat me I paid £120 for AMC79
snow report
dan100, what length did you go for in the end, i am your stamp (6' 4" and 15 6) and got K2 recons in a 174 and love the shorter lenght on piste and they were great in 30cms of fresh stuff over half term....

How long are your RX8's? i am looking for a slalom type on piste ski that holds an edge on ice with the deals flying around i might be tempted to get a second pair of skis any recommendations
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
dan100, what length did you go for in the end, i am your stamp (6' 4" and 15 6) and got K2 recons in a 174 and love the shorter lenght on piste and they were great in 30cms of fresh stuff over half term....

How long are your RX8's? i am looking for a slalom type on piste ski that holds an edge on ice with the deals flying around i might be tempted to get a second pair of skis any recommendations

I got the AMC79 in 182. I've got the RX8 in 175. I found it a great piste ski last year. Although I was blessed with great conditions in courchevel, whenever there was some ice about it just seemed to grip e.g skiing down the runs to meribel to cut over to St Martin in the morning. I found I was improving on bumps. Not great in fresh unpisted snow, but that's probably down to me and its what the AMC 79 is for. I'll review next week in st anton

If you want a purer slalom ski my mate bought the rossi 9s from ski conrad for £260 ish.
ski holidays
the ice perv wrote:

£109 Very Happy

(

was that ebay Deutschland or the UK variety ??
latest report
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Ski-Bilek_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ0QQftidZ2QQpZ4QQtZkm here's a link to uk route in to the ski bilek ebay shop
ski holidays
eBay UK. I paid with PayPal. When you win they email you a link to a german payment site, you click on the Union Jack to get english and the rest is simple. I never thought I'd say this.... but god bless the Common Market!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy