Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oh for goodness sake......

Poster: A snowHead
After three days of cooling and ppn the GFS for the last two runs basically downgrades and washes everything away.

Heavy rain and high temps in France.

Game over? Cancellations for all?

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn17417.png
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
micksup, not all forecasts agree. This one shows a whole load of different ones based on different models. The upper lines are the temps (red is 30yr seasonal average, grey the average of all the models) and the bit at the bottom is the precipitation. The link below is set (approximately) for la Rosiere.
http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/MS_746_ens.png
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Given the foregoing is this a load of codswallop Puzzled http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/snow_forecast.asp?resortID=31
snow report
 brian
brian
micksup, way too far to out to get that much detail from a global model. Don't jump the gun based on one run from one model !

Nick L, no it doesn't. It shows a number of possible outcomes from the same model allowing for possible errors in the accuracy of the original input.

(oh and 46 North, 7 East is just above Argentiere in the Chamonix valley which puts it the other side of Mont Blanc from La Ros, which can make a big difference).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[quote="brian"]micksup, way too far to out to get that much detail from a global model. Don't jump the gun based on one run from one model !

Its two runs now showing this though. 12Z had better be better. This is now in the almost reliable timeframe and hence is surely more accurate tha what was showing at the back end of last week.

Odd though how in 24hrs its done a complete and utter change.

Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
micksup, yep they were forecasting sleet showers in Salisbury on Friday now they are saying +8°c
snow report
 brian
brian
It's nothing like a complete and utter change if you actually look at it. The basic pattern is High pressure to the north over Greenland, Low pressure coming off the atlantic towards the continent running into High pressure over Russia (possibly extending towards Scandinavia).

The variation is in the track of the Low pressure, a few hundred miles to the North (milder) or the South (colder) will make a big difference. A few hundred miles is next to nothing in a global model at a week away.

As you say it's only the edge of the reliable timeframe, there's still time for major changes in the pattern (particularly as its quite an unusal one) let alone the detail (which is what you're talking about).

boredsurfin, for England this is an absolute forecaster's nightmare. I doubt they'll be looking more than a day ahead in the tv forecasts this week !
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
looks like snow forecast to me
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowangel., certainly does. My metcheck snow dump alert has been sent three times today, they must be excited too. It's gone from no snow until Saturday, to loads in 24 hours. MY fingers are very tightly crossed (again!!) snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Keeps changing for Wengen. Latest Metcheck shows FL roller-coastering, snow and rain forecast.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont, i hope it does, althought we are still very white and ridable we do need it as its very very solid!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian, thanks for the corrections(s). It's my favourite chart because it has lots of possible outcomes beyond 2-3 days so keeps me guessing/hoping/aware that forecasting is still virtually impossible beyong even a couple of days

Does anybody know the correct latitude and longitude for la Rosiere?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nick L, from what i can see you will be one of the very lucky ones. We get the storms all week and you get the benefits. To be honest I have quite enjoyed messing about in poor viz the last couple of times.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, it is looking a bit snowy for you - but who says that it will stop for us?
snow report
 brian
brian
Nick L, indeed. It's a very useful indicator of whether the model is struggling or not. Given that there's a 5 degree spread in the temperature less than 3 days away I think we can safely say it's struggling at the moment !
ski holidays
the French forecasters, amateur and professional (including chamonix meteo, who are usually pretty good) reckon it will snow this week down to a reasonable altitude though they are arguing about the quantities. But 20cms (Cham meteo) would make everything pretty again and refresh the pistes.
snow report
Hi pam w, that would be nice for you - but aren't you coming home soon to avoid the school holidays?
ski holidays
All the sites I've looked at predict a load of snow this week. Tuesday through to Sunday. Only really been looking at St Sorlin D'Arves but sure they wont all be wrong.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, Lets hope Wengen forecast is for more snow. It needs it now. We go there in 20 days (and counting) Confused Confused Confused
snow report
Nick L, yes I am, but we have friends who are borrowing our apartment for the half term weeks, and just for all our local friends, restaurateurs, ski hire people etc, we are keeping fingers crossed for a good start to these vital weeks. Les Saisies was pretty busy yesterday (we actually had to queue for some of the lifts) so it must be time to go home. Les Saisies still has good piste skiing, the only place around here which does, so there were lots of local day trippers (plenty of Savoie number plates) as well as holiday makers who arrived on Saturday.

garethjomo, I suspect we won't have "a load". But even a little would be welcome. Too much grass at the moment.
snow conditions
Im confused as the Interlaken metcheck shows good low temps with snow but the Wengen Metcheck is the opposite ??????

Wengen -

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/AU/FREE/snow_forecast_7.asp?resortID=73

Interlaken -
http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/europe_forecast_48hrs.asp?locationID=3463

Can anyone explain ?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Does anyone else get 'forecast envy' when you see other SH's discussing weather in such a knowledgeable manner. I haven't got the foggiest (if you'll pardon the pun...). wink
snow report
rainman wrote:
Does anyone else get 'forecast envy' when you see other SH's discussing weather in such a knowledgeable manner. I haven't got the foggiest (if you'll pardon the pun...). wink

Not really, a little knowledge can be a real pain, it can get in the way of all that optimism!!

Plus.. I always look for the possible good news in the forecasts, for some reason I fail to see the really dodgy looking runs on GFS charts!
snow conditions
rainman, I haven't got a clue either. Like piste maps I leave it to others to do the brainwork. Lazy really.
latest report
I really like http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html
Click on "Animator-Panel" and a new window opens up in which you can load 4 different sets of predictions. Niedersclag and 850hPa Temperature being my favourites. You can track them side by side by running your mouse down over the timescale on the LHS. A rule of thumb is that green temps and blue niederschlag (precipitation) means snow at all levels. Light yellow temps are ok providing its not a low resort, orangey yellow is bad, and the orangey red that we had a couple of weeks ago produced all that rain up to 2700m. Currently showing lots of blue in the Niedershlag and lots of green/ pale yellow temps.

No knowledge is neede for this, just a bit of observation
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, plus a smattering of Deutsche?
latest report
pitchski, Exactly! Never let the facts dent your optimism Madeye-Smiley (Pessimists may be right more often but optimists have more fun Laughing )
snow conditions
Chris Brookes, could be an inversion.

As for amateur forecasting, I have strong suspicions that it's snowing in the Vosges right now. Low cloud here and temps just above freezing, so head up a couple of hundred metres, and it should be snowing.
latest report
 brian
brian
Chris Brookes, on that page it says Interlaken, 46 deg N, 7 deg E.

It's actually 46.7 N, 7.9 E, so they're probably just using the wrong data. (46 N, 7 E) is near Chamonix/Argentiere).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian wrote:
Chris Brookes, on that page it says Interlaken, 46 deg N, 7 deg E.

It's actually 46.7 N, 7.9 E, so they're probably just using the wrong data. (46 N, 7 E) is near Chamonix/Argentiere).

well that aint good news... Laughing
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I really like http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html
Click on "Animator-Panel" and a new window opens up in which you can load 4 different sets of predictions. Niedersclag and 850hPa Temperature being my favourites. You can track them side by side by running your mouse down over the timescale on the LHS. A rule of thumb is that green temps and blue niederschlag (precipitation) means snow at all levels. Light yellow temps are ok providing its not a low resort, orangey yellow is bad, and the orangey red that we had a couple of weeks ago produced all that rain up to 2700m. Currently showing lots of blue in the Niedershlag and lots of green/ pale yellow temps.

No knowledge is neede for this, just a bit of observation

OK, accepted, this is a great tool that any fool (me included) can easily track the forecasts with. I have been on the Wetterzentrale site every day since last September (more or less) and thanks to Frosty I now have another tool that I can chose to ignore if I don't like what its telling me!! Oh well driving out on friday - even had a go at putting my snow chains on!! Talk about optimism!! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy