Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Broadband internet access in Les Arcs?

Poster: A snowHead
Anybody (PG?) now what the situation is with regard to broadband internet access in Les Arcs? Do any service providers offer it in that area, and would it be possible to sign up on a month by month basis (just to cover the ski season; unlikely I know). I would like to be able to have a broadband connection in our apartment, which will make popping out for a long weekend that much easier if I can access work through the internet.

Regards

Rob
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rob, we don't have broadband in La Rosiere yet although the PTT keep saying it's coming. More likely to be available in BSM.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Posted this url a while back....

http://www.agence.francetelecom.com/eliadsl_ftbynet/html/popup_eli.html

Which, if you enter a landline number will tell you if broadband (adsl) is available.

Just tested an ad hoc number (04 79 07 39 71) Sports 2000 at Arc 1800, and the line's compatible up right up to 2048kb/sec....... so the answer seems to be yes.

I know they were working on it earlier this summer. Checked a number up at Arc 1950, hasn't arrived up there yet.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, that's encouraging. Any idea of ADSL costs? Just a 'wires-only' service is what I'm looking for, so email, web-hosting or other services are not important.

Regards

Rob
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How good's your French? There's a list comparing current offers here..

http://www.lesproviders.com/arti/dossiers/dossiers.php?id_dossier=25
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PG, to my eternal shame my French is pretty much non-existant. Thanks for the link, prices seem reasonable.

Regards

Rob
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
PG, to my eternal shame my French is pretty much non-existant. Thanks for the link, prices seem reasonable.

Regards

Rob

French DSL is about the cheapest in Europe actually.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yea. DSL is great here. 1024 = 15.95 2048 = 19.98 with Tele2. No minimum signup time, no initial cost. BTW There's a lead time of 15+ days setting one up though
latest report
 brian
brian
Diarmuid, is that Euros/month ? Shocked

I pay 25 quid (~40 Euros) for a measly 756K Sad

Well, actually work pays Little Angel
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian, Yes, that's euros.... the cheapest dsl offer is 9 Telecom at 14.90 euros a month.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, I'm in Nancroix which is in the valley between Les Arcs and La Plagne. I've recently been in touch with Francetelecom and the have told me that our little village is scheduled to go on to broadband around 4th October. Very Happy

Meg
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chaletarc, do you know "Flying Squirrel" ? snowHead We'll definitely have to have a snowHeads expat get-together at some point in the near future!

And welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Free chips with a jug of beer Very Happy

Uh, Yes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chaletarc, Are you there all the year round? (Flying Squirrel is a fellow snowHead member by the way, currently wandering around the streets of London in a squirrel costume (photos provided in relevant squirrel thread)....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No,

Just for the season. Go there now and again throughout the year as well. Was there in July, managed to get up to Tignes for a day, that was fun. Might be heading out there again soon.
ski holidays
chaletarc, You have just made my day!!! We're heading out for the season and have been trying to find out if broadband was going to be available in that part of the woods.

Cheers for the info!
ski holidays
Welcome to snowHeads, FMH! Arc 1600 and 1800 already has it, as does Bourg St Maurice itself. Arc 1950/2000, not yet.
latest report
PG,

Thanks for the welcome . . .

Had heard the Arcs have it but thought it might take them a few more years to get it to the Peisey area!
latest report
Times are changing with the Vanoise Express link! Just tested the Flying Squirrel bar's number at the France Telecom adsl test link above, not up and running yet as chaletarc says...

(The Flying Squirrel bar, according to France Telecom directory enquiries, is known as the "L'Ecureuil Funky")......
snow report
PG,

Times are definitely changing when a french telephone company starts saying things like "funky" Very Happy
ski holidays
Ah yes... thats the name of my french company. L'Ecureuil means squirrel; don't ask about the funky bit...

chaletarc, hello. I presume I know you as you mentioned the free chips with a jug of beer! I am, erm, revisiting that offer this season, but no doubt it will be replaced with another Happy Hour special!

I'm back out in Peisey-Vallandry for the winter on Wednesday 29th. Lots to do to the bar this year so will be mainly pulling things down and putting them back up again, so give me a holler if anyone fancies beer somewhere.

cheers
Will / F_S.
snow conditions
yep,

You know me.
latest report
give me a clue then!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Seasonairres gaff in Nancroix. Toofy Grin
snow report
Heeeyyy! How're you doing? Be seeing you out there this winter?
snow report
chaletarc, Let me know when BBand gets there, if I can't get a daily fix of Radio7, I ain't goin'! . . . If you have to ask . . . well . . . there's a big hole in your life. Sad
ski holidays
flying_squirrel - Yep, I'm looking forward to it and definitely pay you some visits.

Masque - will do.
ski holidays
France is just great, some of the line checkers say I can't get ADSL and some do. The tele2 site now says I can, but that only 1024k is available and it's 19.95, oh well, it's not like I'm going to pay for it but still.......
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ah... a French moment.. going further into the form the price has dropped to 19.85 for 2048
snow report
It's a good job I speak a few words of French, we're back to 1024 at 19.85 again....
snow conditions
Well,

The 4th October deadline has passed. Does anyone out there know if we've got broadband at Peisey-Nancroix yet? Puzzled

I'll check their website at some point but this seemed like a nice lazy way of checking.

Meg
ski holidays
Not according to France Telecom, broadband for the line for the Bar du Ski at Peisey is still "non disponible"....
snow conditions
But try to order it via tele2, it seemed to work for me when the France Telecom line checker said it was not available. That said, I placed the Tele2 order and that was the last I heard a week ago.
ski holidays
I think you can order via FT as well, it's just that the lines aren't compatible yet?
ski holidays
Just checked the following site today http://www.agence.francetelecom.com/eliadsl_ftbynet/html/popup_eli.html

Bourg st Maurice and Les Arcs now have broadband.

Peisey-Vallandry is scheduled for tomorrow.

Meg rolling eyes
snow report
BSM has had it for the last year or so now, it's just you lot out in the sticks that have had to wait your turn! Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy