Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do ski's wear out?

Poster: A snowHead
@kb0000, you are Dr Emmett Brown and I claim my $5.

So wrong it's unreal.

@Gordyjh, I'm afraid decambering isn't going to make a difference how your SL11s ski in powder!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"Camber is essential to turning a ski with the least effort. I have skied skis with no camber, and it is exhausting, bordering on impossible. So, the lesson is, as long as there is camber, the ski is not worn out."

I apologise to everyone who has bought a pair of our Redeemer, Ragnarok or Director models, how could we have got it so wrong. Email me immediately for a full factory refund!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@the_doc, Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
the_doc
I'm safe, I went for the R108's. I'm obviously not a gullible as some of your younger customers wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@the_doc, does that mean you'll be giving remaining stock away? I'll take a pair of Directors off your hands, whether or not they turn Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, It did actually. They were fantastic in all conditions until they got old and lost their camber.

On thinking about it, they were quite hard to control in bumps.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 4-03-17 20:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

I guess I had better sell my DPS Spoons, as they are obviously completely useless and impossible to ski on Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All this talk about worn out skis ....
Does anyone know where I can get some of those "screw on" edges from?
All the ones under the the boot plate of the "safety binding" are missing now.
I think the last owner must have abused these skis back in the 1950s.
They are so hard to turn.

While I'm at it ... where do you get a 220cm ski bag from?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DrLawn, I think these replacement edges are what you need Toofy Grin

http://www.tognar.com/12-solid-edge-section-each/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi @PowderAdict,

No, the ones I need are just in sections about 10cm long.
The edges have screw holes at both ends.
They interlock into each other.

I must admit I don't have a set of these skis any more, but I was given a pair of these back in 1972 to learn to ski on.
they had the sections missing, but how was I to know that you needed edges under your feet.
The boots were very comfortable though, with lots of laces.

I just found this info on eBay:

A segmented steel edge was invented in Austria in 1928 that allowed wooden skis to better grip hard snow, but the pieces often came loose or even broke in the middle of skiing. Skiers using these types of skis often carried extra parts and screwdrivers with them so they would be ready to make repairs.

I guess the guy who gave them to me didn't have a screwdriver.

I see this thread was started by Megamum back on 2007,
Hey Megamum when are you going to post again?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@PowderAdict do I know you by another name? Oki
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@spyderjon, ...warning, warning...the US is an irony-free zone....

And I don't think that an absence of camber in a ski makes turning per se a problem, it makes GRIP a problem. The nice thing about camber on an SL ski is that it gets the edge just aft of the toe of the ski tucked into the snow and keeps it pushing down and grabbing the surface. Which I guess does translate as 'hard to turn' in some sense.

Do skis wear out? We've got some phenomenally knackered skis in the garage in CH - buggered bases, curling edges, delamination, extreme floppiness. But I love these trash skis in a snowless Christmas or muddy easter, since my hand-prep'd 'best skis' stay inside at such stony, base-scratching times. I have no anxiety when mud hopping and skiing over embedded rocks if I am on sh+t skis. I have one weird pair of Salomons (Scrambler 400s) which are are in a truly terrible state. But the weird thing is that the sh=tfoam cores have not collapsed at all - the skis always have had massive camber - and I mean a silly gap of around 5cm which has GROWN not reduced over the years. Bonkers skis.

Like many I have put skis in the rubbish at various times - no edges left, massive delimitation etc - including a tearful incident of putting some Dynastar Speed 90 SLs in the bin. Handmade in Chamonix, wood cores, radical sidecut and ultra narrow waist for moguls and gates, brilliant race plate - took off the Look pivot ti bindings - wonderful things - and sadly cut skis in two and put them in the bin. And a clutch of Atomics went a few years ago but without the wake which followed the loss of the Dynastars.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@valais2, I never ever want to put a set of skis in the bin again.
I don't know why I keep the old skis ... I like to think that one day I'll get to use them again.

Perhaps one day I'll take my van on a ski bash and be able to take all my old toys with me.
Then I could relive the times with the old boards.

I've only got three pairs of skis that hide away with the spiders in the back of the garage.
There is one particular pair I want to take out, I don't know if I can ski them anymore, they were the last in the line before the advent of parabolics.
I haven't looked closely at them for a long time, I'm sure there will be a bit of rust on the edges and the bindings could well be salted up as well.

But it would be great to ride them again if I can.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DrLawn, ...ah ha Royston ... the only hills anywhere near us ... indeed the East Anglia Alps. At New Year our German friends in the chalet below us in CH went through all the cupboards and took out on the hill their grandparents' 1970s ski suits. The male suit was rubbish, and Luca wore it with full irony; carried it well. He did of course, get licked by Alex at some point. For those unsure of this see

https://schofie.wordpress.com/2009/12/01/one-peice-licking/

Jana wore her grandma's checker-print suit and it looked wonderful, incredibly contemporary. She drew lots of admiring comment. However, they stopped short of changing skis. But then again, there was a group of Swiss who went the full distance and dressed in proper Alpine kit of the 1950s and used 50s kit. Brave them, using non-release bindings. They joined us in the gondolas at the mid station at Marollires; they were having an EXCELLENT day - much laughing and discussion of skis. Who said every day should be about distance on the 'best skis in the world'. Hmmm....I feel another thread coming on.....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Just back from Japan where there are an impressive selection of old skis and 80/90's clothing. This particularly finely outfitted gentlemen (seen with our guide) was on Atomic Arcs and was found in Sahoro Cool
latest report
Lady F's skis always last longer than mine, which is down to tactics.....She sends me down in front and when I start looking like a cat that's jumped onto a hot Aga, she knows where to avoid.
snow report
@Gordyjh, hmmm, unconvinced decambering alone would make such a difference...
ski holidays
Try it
snow conditions
@Gordyjh, on the grounds that most powder skis sold these days are reverse camber...

My suspicion is that you skis were broken internally and so unbelievably soft thus just sank into the snow.
ski holidays
@under a new name, Which is why they decambered
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy