Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste Closure/Insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone - new to the forum so be gentle with me...
I spent the new year in Villars - my 3rd time skiing. One of the runs was a blue from Bretaye to Villars, having never skied back to a resort before I though i'd give it ago. Anyway to cut a long story short, got so far down the the mountain to find the piste roped off - meaning piste closed I take it. Whilst waiting for the ski train to pick me up and return me to Villars, people just skied past me and around/under the rope. So I followed and returned to Villars! Did this invalidate my insurance? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
probably, I don't really know. It's normally closed for a reason, crap snow, rocks, piste bully working etc. Whenever I have crashed and needed a doctor or something I have lied about where I was, time I was there etc.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeh, found the crap snow - well ice anyway further down the slope, didn't seem that much though, was over it before I knew I was on it if you know what I mean. Anyway, thanks for the reply.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
welshfella, Welcome to snowheads snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Did this invalidate my insurance? Sat Feb 03, 07 11:03

welshfella, I'd say yes because you were "ignoring local advice" and knowingly putting yourself in harm's way (potentially). I suspect you'd get paid out though as the insurer would either never get to hear that you were on a closed run, or have to prove that you knew you were on a closed run. Depends on the size of the claim. If it was a real biggie like a broken back or a big liability claim it would be investigated fully and then you'd be in a spot of bother. The few times I've ignored the signs I've always trashed my skis on hidden rocks... so I don't do it any more.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
welshfella,
I've always understood it to do so . You also have to watch out because sometimes pistes are closed for other reasons than insufficient snow. Later in the season you sometimes get pistes closing in the afternoon as the slopes above become warmer and more prone to avalanche.

What I would be interested in is if skiing with an instructor on closed pistes invalidates your insurance? I have done this numerous times.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That is one of the reasons I decided to continue. At least two instructors and their classes carried on past the rope!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

What I would be interested in is if skiing with an instructor on closed pistes invalidates your insurance? I have done this numerous times.

It might, they normally have a "putting yourself in unnecessary danger" opt out on policies - might be a hard one to argue. There was a thread on here some time back about two snowboarders that were killed off-piste and their insurance didn't pay out, even though they had off-piste insurance.

snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy