Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question about K2 measuring - for the Zookeepers

Poster: A snowHead
I can't seem to find anyone who knows the answer to this:-

For 2007 skis (in Winter Park last week) K2 were measuring just the flat part of the ski (not tip to tail), so 154cm ski is really 160cm. I know it sounds daft but I actually saw 2006 hire ski (154) and 2007 ski (154) and they were different lengths - both marked 154. It was the same with the 'recons' my husband was looking at as well. I'm curious if this is the case in Europe, in case I want to buy a pair.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
erica2004, do you mean this years? i have recons in a 174 and they do seem longer than that to me, so maybe not as daft as you think wink

sorry cant measure as they are in france at the moment...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Before the zookeepers come round - when some of us hired skis in Verbier, the K2s were longer than anything else, at the same stated length (difference of about 1 - 1.5 inches).

I think they were Apache Outlaws.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
erica2004, the recons this year have slighty rounded and turned up tails as compared to last years model and this may be the difference
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
erica2004, The size of a ski appears to be an indication only anyway... K2 do have some odd sizes when paired up with other skis as I found out at the PSB but then so do others... Take it as a guide, measure the ski against your height and accept that some skis aren't the perfect size for you. If you are piste oriented, you can go shorter, Off-psite, go longer and accept the compromises as there will always be some in skis.

Another reason to try them and not blithely order from the ether'
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
erica2004, that makes no sense at all, they measured a part of the ski and the length was longer than the length of the whole ski?
There are three types of ways to measure a ski: Sole length, the whole length of the base. Vertical, tip to tail. And Running length, sidewall length. One thing for sure, apart from graphics the're are no differences between skis in Europe, Asia or U.S. of D. Therefore u buy here and they will be the same. Speak to Foxy about this, he seems to have swallowed the U.S of D pill, or should i say poison apple. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got last years Recons in a 174 and they are exactly 174cm. HTH
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I must be completely stupid then.
This is how I actually,physically, saw it, last years skis are shorter than this years skis. i.e. last years 154 skis are shorter than this years 154. Last years 154 skis measure approx 154cm from tip to tail, this years measure approx.160cm tip to tail. They both had '154' stamped on them. I hear what you say about tring skis before you buy. I agree. I make sure mine come between my eyes and nose. BUT if everyone on the forum is giving advice about ski sizes and what size you should ski on, surely it's important to know how they are measured. And, a lot of people do mail order equipment.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
erica2004, Not completley! Toofy Grin My point being, the fact there are no models made for US of D. How skis are measured is not so important if all manufacturers use the same scale, which they dont based on sidecut. What's important is the breaks between sizes and what is available. Little Angel
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
After reading through this yesterday I measured my Nordicas last night. Elliminators in 178 are actually 176 overall length unladen. The it which touches the ground when they're flattened out is about 168cm as the tails kick up a little and the tips obviously don't touch the ground.
I guess they aren't much different in lenth to K2s in 174. Shock
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is it possible that this year's 154s still ski like last year's 154s despite them being a little longer (stiffness/sidecut etc) however they're being measured?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So, here's the two part answer...

Quote:
Here is what I understand atleast about their 06-07 models. I talked to shane szocs who is sponsored by k2 and he told me that K2 measured from the tip of the ski to the end of the flat part of the ski. So not including the tail. So a 189cm Vicious would actually be like 192-193cm. I can see that from looking at k2 that I have seen but I am pretty certain that they measure from from the tip, a 189 vicious does not look like a 196cm ski.

Quote:
There was no change in the skis. K2 only changed the spot where they measure the tip of the ski. 04-05 measured at the "Contact Point" and they changed to measure at the widest point in the tip.....the same as all the other ski companies. So that's why the 109 tip became 115. The Recon changed from 115 to 119. As for the size, they added the new tail shape which made the ski longer. The newer, rounder tail added about 3 cm to the overall length.

Thanks to the wonderful source of knowledge that is EpicSki

So, if next year's skis have turned up tails (even if it is only slightly), then the tail will not be included in the measurement. Also with them moving the measure point at the tip, then that will have made a change too.

...in other words, if it said 154 last year, and it says 154 this year, even if it doesn't LOOK the same length, it actually is.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
erica2004, See my post on this thread .

maggi wrote:
Just for the record, they are measuring them differently. Last year I tested the One Luv (slightly softer than the Burnin' but then I'm only 8.5 stone with no muscles and I found them hard work) but didn't buy them because they had purple flowers on and they made me feel ill. They were 160s - up to my nose.

Last week I went to Andorra and bought this year's. I asked for 160s and they were huge . The guy in the shop then gave me 153s and suggested they would be better. I couldn't believe the sizing but they were marked 153 on the ski. They were up to my nose. The same size as my old skis - which were 160 too. I was confused but as the guy said, stop looking at the numbers!

Incidently, I don't know about the Burnin' but the One Luv have very curved tails, almost like a twin tip. As I realised when I played "chase the gondula" frantically trying to get a pair of them into the slot. It was impossible. They need a slot each . Good job it wasn't too busy!

Oh, and I'm 5' 6" so I would say she was right with the 153s.
L
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i just got back from france and my (this years model) 174 K2 recons are 177 cm long tip to tail....
snow report
Everyone knows that the latest figures are 8614.27 ± 0.6 a.s.l. for K2 NehNeh
ski holidays
Just got a pair of 153cm Burnin Luvs for my wife - they measure 156cm tip to tail Puzzled
snow conditions
YAWN Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy