Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snowskirts - anyone ski/ride in a jacket without one?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking at new jackets. Like the look of a few of the stripped-down, mountaineery,lightweight jobs. There are some with snowskirts but quite a lot without.

Part of me thinks that they don't do that much: any reasonable stack and you're pulling snow out from your snowskirt anyway. Smaller falls don't shift the normal outer waist drawcord past your belt.

But never having ridden in a jacket without one, ('cept a couple of Tshirt days) I don't have any experience to base that on. How many falls are in the middle, when they're genuinely useful?

Any hint, tips and facts greatfully received!

Use: riding: a couple/few weeks a year tops, hikey climby stuff, otherwise general rainwear in the UK, climbing, mebbe mountian biking, but prolly get summat cheaper for that.

Looked at Changabang: bit short arms stretched above the head and the waist's above the belt, skirt and all. Lge is too f(ph)at and the skirt's not tight enough to do anything anyway, so we're back to square one. not written off the medium, if people have seriously regretted buying non skirty jackets, I might still go for it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nedrapier, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

My main ski jacket doesn't have a snowskirt, and I can't say it's ever been a problem. I guess if you are falling a lot in deep powder then it may be an issue....but if you stay upright you should be okay wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you Ms B, pleasure to be here.

How rude of me not to say "Hello all"

Hello all!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nedrapier,

I have jackets with and without and I prefer the one without. Its just another thing to ride up along with bleep, mid-layer and pack doings.
In a fall with all the places snow can get, down your bum is the last place to worry about if you have a reasonably high backed pair of pants. Now, if you are talking pants with a belt only arrangement, serves you right.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT: at the moment, yes. Shame on my otherwise OK hand me downs.

Next pair definitely going bibby, or at least strappy.

Good to know though. I was hoping there'd be people saying that. Thinking arcteryx beta ar. short cut again, but a nice jacket.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My jkt does have snow skirt, but very rarely fasten it, But it is very handy for those special powder days.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
have you had a look at an all in one suit? Check ebay for a good deal!!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Welcome Nedrapier
Quote:

have you had a look at an all in one suit?

First thing I learnt in my first aid course was, anyone wearing a one piece suit, cut it off whether you needed to or not. wink

Snow cuff is good on powder days, plus if it's a bit parky, keeps the cold out.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My jacket has a drawstring around the bottom, which presumably serves the same purpose as a snow skirt, doesn't it? It has kept the snow out fine when stacking in my rare excursions off piste.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Careful Deahwons, you might be tempting me more than you think!

I wore an all in one once. I won a little uni race and my mates made me wear it for a day (as a reward/punishment - still not sure), along with a purple head band and flouro orange rodeo gloves.

Le Suit was beautiful. I just wore boxers underneath, it was really comfy and I was toasty warm all day, plus I could unzip to the waist for some terrasse de soleil action.

Checked ebay there are some beauties on there. Sergio Tacchini anyone?

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
just in case anyone's worried, I'm not getting an all in one (I promise!), and I'd still be interested to hear everyone's opinions & experience of snowskirts Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I wear a snow skirt, but I'll warn you now - it does get a bit draughty. If I think it's going to be particularly nippy then I tend to wear trousers instead.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The inner lining of my new ski jacket has a snowskirt which I thought was very useful when I was choosing it.

However it recently dawned on me that because I nearly always always ski with a rucksack, particularly when offpiste, then the waist strap on the rucksack is doing the same job already and probably doing it more effectively.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My jacket has a snowskirt and although the benefit is marginal at best when wearing bib-style strides, it makes a real difference with 'normal' ski trousers.
Obviously the specific benefit varies according to conditions, speed and particular fashion of fall. But, the softer and the deeper the snow, the more places it gets if you fall and the more benefit is gained from the snow skirt.

This I know after extensive tests which consisted of falling over in every possible snow type often having forgotten to do up the snow skirt Embarassed

Of course, if you never ski in soft/deep snow, if you wear trousers that come up to your nose or if you never fall over, a snow skirt is fairly obsolete - mine proves quite useful Wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You will have all seen the pictures, so I'm not admitting to anything that you don't already know, but up 'till last year I skied in a pink/purple all in one - I have to say that as with nedrapier, I always found it warm and comfy and there were no gaps to let in snow when I fell down. I know fashion wise they're not 'in' but I can't fully understand the bad press that they have - any comments? - I should add that I have only reluctantly given it up in case I should meet a fellow snowHead on the slope Embarassed
snow report
Megamum,

Yep, try getting out of one, PDQ..... !!! Confused
latest report
I have a close-fitting Arc'teryx Alpha SV. No snow skirt but no problem. I wear regular ski trousers (no high waist) and yes have wiped out many a time in deep snow. Still no problem. Snow skirts look like an extra bit of unnecessary fuss (and weight) to me.
ski holidays
Both my jackets have snow skirts and i wear pant style trousers. i have to say that although i normally do up the snow skirt at the beginning it only tends to ride up any pull up my layers so ends up being undone anyway.
Only time i have experienced snow down the back is after one fantastic double somersault and breakdance style spin down a steep slope or if someone thinks its funny to place it down there !!!
latest report
Try sitting down for a dump wearing an all-in-one!

Re the snowskirt - my jacket does have one, and my last jacket had one, and I always do it up and never have a problem with snow getting in. for me it means I can wear my jacket without pulling to hem cord tight so it looks far more cool. Those who pull their hem cord tight - well, you all look like anoraky trainspotters to me Laughing
snow report
Must be a man thing I think then - too many curries and no control over your bowels. What's wrong with one stop back at the appartment or piste restaurant at lunchtime?

W.r.t snowskirts - I'm glad someones asked this - I've bought 7yr old a new pair of salopettes, but she does have some lovely chunky warm waterproof jackets that look more than up to mountain use and I thought I would put her in one of those with her new salopettes. The only drawback was a lack of snowskirt and I was wondering if that would critical. From these replies I guess not so I'll go ahead and let her wear them.

That Killy I got hold of is certianly servicable for my needs, but may be an old style - it has no snow skirt, but does have a big wide elasticated hem along the bottom edge. This seems more than up to keeping out the snow - I just hope it doesn't ride up. However, I'm also taking a TKMAXX Dare2Be jacket with snow skirt if the Killy is not OK. I got the D2B as an everyday jacket for dog walking and it has a detachable snow skirt - so at the moment it is off but sitting in a pocket. If I ski in it I'll just put it back on.
snow conditions

Do you mean this type of snow skirt? wink
snow report
Looks a bit draughty to me - I hope she had SPF50 on her legs.

Mind you here's a question related to this - does anyone know if real Scotsmen ski in kilts or is frostbite to larger (smaller?) worry?
ski holidays
Megamum,
I've seen them skiing in Kilts on Cairngorm at New Year.
I did'nt ask what they were wearing underneath. I suppose you could tell, if they've got dandruff on their boots or not. wink
latest report
I skied in a little kacet one sunny day with didn't have a snow skirt on it, wenty over a jump, landed on ice and skied back to work with a massive ice burn on my side, it still hurts (I only did it a couple of days ago).

Definitely get one!
latest report
I just wore a new jacket with a snowskirt for the first time last week. The only time I used it was for attempting silly stunts in deep snow - and it came in quite handy as it made a difference to the vast quantities of snow that penetrated during extended high speed snowball impersonations. Also, on a very cold day they can help keep the warm air around the trunk from being lost as you move.
latest report
Nearly always had jackets with snow skirts and virtually never ever bothered doing them up.
snow report
Just to make you aware, I recently bought the ME Changabang and had the same issue with snow skirt being a little loose on the large and tight on the medium. I went for the large in the end as my layers fit better underneath it and when I have my sallys on the skirt is a lot tighter. It might also be important to note that you can zip it out should you not want to use it. The main feature has to be keeping the warm pocket of air in and if doesn't work then you can always rely on the lower strap of your backback to keep out the snow. I would definitely go for the Changabang purely for the hood alone, it's amazing. There is also the great colours, Gore-Tex XCR, waterproof zips, zipper garages, lightweight, BRITISH design and let's not forget the little whistle!

Hope that helps.
latest report
Megamum, saw a couple of Scotsman in kilts last year in Valmorel just after a HUGE dump of snow. We were sitting on a chairlift watching them as they left some moguls and disappeared off-piste then promptly fell over in knee-deep snow. From the squeals that ensued, I assumed that they were indeed true Scotsman and didn't have their thermal pants on Shocked There was an awful lot of raucous laughter coming from the chairlift - funniest thing I saw all week Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PowderHunter, I was very very impressed with my lovely new chang last week. Best shell jacket I've ever put on.
snow report
Thanks to all, particularly PowderHunter,

It's now a tag team rumble between the ME Changabang Medium, the ME Changabang large, the Arcteryx Beta and the Arcteryx Theta.

And then there's the colour!

I might have to have a lie down before I get to grips with that one.

Red or black, though, which one's faster?
snow report
Red is always faster than black
snow conditions
petemillis, I don't know - I've always fancied a sports car, but I don't like red cars - if I get a sports car it will have to be a big shiny black beast. Somewhat Ironically because I've always had to buy 2nd hand motors where I go for the best value rather than the colour 4 out of my 6 motors have been red. My ski jackets are also red (for safety - the boarders can see me coming wink ), but I really prefer black for clothes and cars - it's just got to be faster, slicker, cooler etc
snow conditions
I've never yet had a snowskirt that will actually go round me and do up in a jacket that otherwise fits really well Sad
snow conditions
I'm just glad to help. I know the dilema all too well and spent ages trying to find the right jacket for me. I had a TNF Free Thinker jacket for 7 days and took it back. The Changabang just oozes class in comparison.

Just a few words of warning with regards to the Arc'teryx range, apart from the snowskirt being a little weak I've heard a few nightmare stories of the the zips breaking in cold temps. This is obviously more of a problem that usual as they don't have a storm flap or any other way of fastening the front if this happens, a potentially lethal problem! The Changabang not only has water resistant zips it also has a re-enforced storm flap. Despite all the hype about Arc'terxy but not actually owning one, I think they are definitely at the top end of the market and are very innovative but they are far from the perfection the pricetag suggests.

If you are still unsure, I suggest you look at the Mountain Hardwear Tenacity Decent Jacket. It was up there with the Changabang for me and it was a toss up between the two. It is a very good jacket and has a few features that are better than the Changabang so definitely worth checking out. Oh, and the snowskirt is the best I have tried on any jacket.

Hope this helps
snow conditions
With regard to zip failure if you're somewhere where it can prove fatal you'd probably have enough duct tape to reseal it?

Used a jacket without a snowskirt for at least 2 seasons without major inconvenience.
snow conditions
I went for the Chang red in medium - it's pretty close fitting though if wearing a fleece underneath - although that would be into -30 territory. And black is fastest as far as motorbikes go Cool
ski holidays
Aha, Mr PowderHunter,

It seems you're the reason I'm on here in the first place! Did a search for ME Changabang a while ago and your thread on here came up. Hadn't put two and two together till you mentioned your TNF angst. Just checked back at your thread and you even answered the fastest colour question.

Cheers again all, going shopping on Friday so I'll let you know how I get on.

Love the sound of the "Tenacity Decent Jacket". Very understated.

Burton take note : The Shaun White "Most Passable Jacket Ever"? Probably not though, if my "AK Rubbishy 3L Fabric" Jacket is anything to go by (featuring Gimmicky, Leaky Expansion Panels; Disintegrator Zips and LiftPass-Invalidating Magnetic Stormflaps)

Hence the shopping - open credit note from TSA. Cheers! Bit slow getting it sorted, but I'm getting what I want. Little Angel
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy