Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bootfitting in London

Poster: A snowHead
Of course, I know that the best idea would be to head to SZK in Chamonix or to CEM in Bicester.

But I'm off to St Anton on the weekend of 9 Feb, and I'm unlikely to have the time to drive to Bicester this weekend (not to mention that CEM might want to have Sunday off, too).

There's too much space in my boots. This became pretty clear on the previous week in Verbier. I hope it's because the liners have packed out, and I can solve this with new liners rather than new boots. (the shell size is just about ok, though probably at the top end of a reasonable range for my feet).

So: where in London should I head to?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Profeet gets good reports. The OL and I went there before Xmas and they appear to know what they're doing. They have flas computer gizmos which produce attractive print outs of your feet and they mak quite elaborate and sturdy footbeds while you wait. The OL has now skied in her boots for 3 days and reports them much improved but not perfect. I believe that they'll have another look for nothing. They're not cheap (£119 for a fitting IIRC) and to my annoyance suggested that I'd be more comfortable if I did some stretching exercises; for that sort of money I expect to avoid exercise of any sort.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But do they sell just liners? or is it only the whole boot?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They sell boots and fit boots bought elsewhere (which is what they did for us). I don't know that they supply new liners, but I'd be surprised if they didn't. You could call them. There's always the risk with boot sellers that they'll sell you boots (fiendish, these boot sellers), but they didn't seem anxiuos to push new boots onto me or the OL (at £119 a pop, they can afford not to, I suppose).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yup, I'd second profeet. We both went there November before last. I was all ready to buy some new boots but they said there was no need Evil or Very Mad - I did have new footbeds made up which were great after my old unsupported crappy ones. Mr C has very bad foot/ankle problems and has always skiied in pain. They sorted out boots and modified them for him just fine. Needed a bit of tweaking after trying out at MK but that's only to be expected.

If you're a SCGB member there's normally a discount of some sort, but I seem to remember you have to use it before December or some such. I could be wrong about that!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
richmond wrote:
There's always the risk with boot sellers that they'll sell you boots (fiendish, these boot sellers)

Heh, I'm sitting here laughing. Good one.

I guess I'm being cheap and looking for the easy fix before shelling out for new shells (groan at will

But I gotta say, rather than paying £119 in London on top of anything else I buy, I'll make some time in the resort the following weekend and see what I can do. (look out for a Bootfitting in St Anton thread). Or else just clamp my boots tightly for three more days.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Forgot to say, thanks to both of you! I might yet call them, you know...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I guess tha tif you had no particular problem with your boots, you could simply go to a half decent boot shop and get a new formable liner bunged in, presumably for less than £119, and off you go.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
problem is there is not much in the way of liners available except the aftermarket types [foam, zipfit, thermoflex] these run from around £100-£200 depending on type,

what boots do you have, it may be worth calling around to see if anyone has a liner that will fit, when i worked at Lockwoods we used to hang on to the liners when we did a foam or zip fit, if you have a common boot in a common size you may get lucky...cost depends on the boot but i would think between £35-£50 ish Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cedric, Profeet were fantastic for me, i ended up with a boot a full size smaller than my last model and i could barely get them on. I got the full footbed and some heel grinding as i have bone spurs. I was really starting to panick as after wearing around the house for 10 or 20 hours they just slightly opened up and i thought there was no way i could have them on for a day. But, just as top boot fitter JIMMY predicted they were absolutely perfect i have had two weeks and am delighted Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
if you get them done in resort will you have sufficient time to bed in and return if problems.......profeet will adjust as often as neccessary...how much will your next several holidays cost and is a hundred quid not money well spent for great fitting boots?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret,
Quote:

some heel grinding as i have bone spurs

Did they give you an anesthetic first? wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cedric, I was very happy with Profeet too. You should find quite a bit of info on the site if you do a search.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman, I wasn't Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rich, due to...................................................Spyderman, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
skimottaret, spending an hour of my life having new boots fited there and leaving with badly fitted boots having been told that was the best they could do as I had one leg shorter than the other.

Read - you've exceeded the allotted 1 hour appointment time and we can't be arsed sorting you out properly, tills that way!

Complete rubbish
snow conditions
rich, thats interesting and AFAIK your the first to have a negaitve experience there. before i went there was a similar thread a few months ago and with the exception of cost noone had a bad word to say about them...

Who was the fitter?
latest report
Bootfitting is subjective, i've made many more happy than upset, however people do leave unhappy sometimes. Sometimes it's all about relationships and trust.
snow conditions
I got to say i agree with SMALLZOOKEEPER on this one, if you see enough people you will not please all of them, the main thing is if people do not call you and explain their problems it is very difficult to help them further, i say to all my clients, I really want to hear from you for two reasons firstly if you have a problem, and secondly if you like our products / service and want more Little Angel
snow report
skimottaret, I can say for certain that not everyone is happy that has been to Profeet.
My Niece who has several feet/lower leg probs following a serious car smash was very much given the hour's up till's that way treatment. As experienced by rich.
She can just about ski until lunch time and then the pain from her boots get's unbearable Sad
snow conditions
boredsurfin, has she gone back to profeet to get them corrected? We went back a couple of times to fine tune at no extra cost.
latest report
cathy, No because like rich she was told they had done all they could for her and being a teenager and very conscious of her injuries from the car crash (she was crossing the road and hit at 40 mph) she doesn't want to go back Confused
snow conditions
boredsurfin, that sounds a nasty crash Sad
ski holidays
[quote="cathy"] It was, very much 'lucky to be alive' and a testament to Great Ormond Street Hospital where she spent 3 months. Confused
ski holidays
boredsurfin, cathy, Again, this is about personallity and relationships. I had a young girl this winter with a nerve disorder, i forget the name CEM, might know it. Any hoo, her foot was 3 times bigger than normal with the softest tissue i've ever seen, spending hours with her wasn't a problem, i stressed because i wanted to help her, it's this kind of work that pleases me most. But the real battle, she was eleven, was keeping her foot exposed to others. Everytime i needed her foot naked, the momment i turned my back, the sock was back on. Obviously she was very self concious. The job worked out well, she skied great, but the point is there. I chose to enjoy that end of my job. It's rewarding and it can be life changing for the client. However, that said, walk in the shop giving it "Rah Rah Rugger, 60,000 grand a year bonus, i'm the best skier ever, i've not seen anyone ski better than me!" and i can't deal with it. Perhaps i'm an inverted snob, or some kind of hitler, but people of this disposition will have plenty of tales to tell about my bad attitude, lack of proper service and dis-intrest. It's part of me i need to get over, these people have money to spend and it maybe says more about me than them, but then we can all change.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Smile and part the fool from his money, love all serve all Toofy Grin
Some are more deserving of great service than other's Toofy Grin
snow conditions
boredsurfin, Im not a profeet advert by any means but did your niece have an adult go to bat for her? i would be amazed that a shop like profeet who charge a premium for their services and offer "a come back as many times as you like guarantee" wouldnt be sympathetic to her and ensure she was sorted..

on the other hand she might have got the trainee who gave her the bums rush and needed to get to a party that night....A word in the managers ear wouldnt go amiss.....I agree with cathy, and CEM, if you dont complain the problem wont get fixed.
ski holidays
skimottaret, agreed but they don't advertise that you may end up with the trainee's on a 'bums rush' do they..........................
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
just speculating that is all and if that was the case a word with management would be in order. if your neice was so upset as not to want to return a full refund would be in order
snow report
boredsurfin, Laughing
However true, i've new bootfitters every winter, some get the job nailed, some don't, however in your eyes they are the trainees. We all start somewhere, it's how quickly you understand the principals. 10 years working in McDonalds doesn't make a Gordon Ramsey. Don't be down on the young or less expierenced, many great skiers and manufactures don't get the bootfitting thing. It's a certain amount of Kid-ology coupled with a desire to improve.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, but I guess you don't leave your young un's to play on their own Toofy Grin
latest report
boredsurfin, Yep, too right i do. I choose the right client for the right guy/gal. I'm certain some of the guy that work for me are futher down the road that i were given the same amount of time. They all laughed at Christopher Columbus right?
snow report
skimottaret, this wasn't my first experience with them, I went back because they sorted out some big problems I was having with getting skis to run flat last time round. The problems this time were down to an individual fitter basically not listening to what he was being told and not seeking any advice from further up the chain when he ran out of ideas. As a customer you are led to believe you're in the hands of experts which makes complaining a very difficult process and not taken lightly.

I only realised how bad a job the guy had done some time later.
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
My Niece who has several feet

If she has more than two, that could be the root of the problem.
ski holidays
richmond, She very nearly didn't have any.
latest report
Nasty.
latest report
Quote:

I only realised how bad a job the guy had done some time later.

boredsurfin, sounds to me like a call to the owners and getting your money back is in order
ski holidays
boredsurfin,

She could try SIDAS in Grenoble....

they have podiatrists there... dealt well with my dodgy feet.....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy