Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do you store your skis?

Poster: A snowHead
I know it's not end of season yet but I'm looking to determine what's the best way to store skis, in between trips and in the "closed season".
    Where? - in the loft, spare-room, garage etc. What effect do temperature and humidity have?
    How? - clipped together using the brakes or separate (to preserve their natural camber)?
    Base protection? - do you wax them but leave them unscraped to seal the bases? If so what wax do you use?
    Binding protection? - bindings closed to preserve spring strength? Do you use binding spray - what does it do? Would WD40 be OK?

Or doesn't any of this matter?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where? - Anywhere that's dry & at constant 'room' temperature.
How? - Separated to preserve their natural camber. Mine are standing upright on their tales.
Base protection? - My fats skis are waxed up with a soft warm temperature wax (the same SKS wax that you bought of me) as they're not used off season. My skinnies will be used semi regularly at Xscape so are just dried off after use & Zardoz Notwax applied to the edges to stop rusting.
Binding protection? - My Neox bindings are all left open & DINS unaltered. I've spoken to Atomic about this & they say it doesn't harm their current bindings at all if stored that way. All the binding manufacturers say that bindings should only be lubed with pucka binding lube/grease. My bindings always seem to have plenty of grease on them. As they're on a rail system & I'm often swapping the bindings between skis I keep the rails lubed with binding spray. Remember to keep any petroleum based products well away from the bases.

BTW, I've plenty of binding spray in stock wink.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Mine are standing upright on their tales.

What, you have books wedged underneath them? Why? Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In the cellar, in their bag, clipped together.

Well, you did ask how I stored them.....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnw, Don't store them for too long Shocked Otherwise they will forget what there are supposed to do. Skis need regular practise wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ski,
Quote:

Don't store them for too long Otherwise they will forget what there are supposed to do. Skis need regular practise

I practice regularly on the dry slope using their skis with the melted/shredded bases and blunt edges, what fun rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Binding protection? - bindings closed to preserve spring strength?

Yes, closed, and with the DIN wound down (if I remember!). Purely becoz that's what it says on the little pamphlet that came with my bindings when I bought them.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Vertically. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnw,
Quote:

ski, Quote:

Don't store them for too long Otherwise they will forget what there are supposed to do. Skis need regular practise

I practice regularly on the dry slope using their skis with the melted/shredded bases and blunt edges, what fun

Use your own - a quick (ish wink ) coat of Polar-X - and they'll be fine on the mat snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In the boot of the car, just incase of an unexpected snow storm in the hills around Gloucester snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DO NOT LEAVE THEM CLIPPED TOGETHER FOR PROLONGED PERIODS Shocked

Mine are kept in my garage, separated and standing upright.

I usually try to touch up the edges and wax as soon as I return; but will, at a minimum, remove any light rusting from the transfer home with a diamond stone.

Between seasons I'll sort out the edges, fill any deep gouges and give them a good few wax/scrapes followed by a hot wax that with stay on until next season.

Periodically, throughout the summer, I'll visit them and give them a fondle and some soothing words Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I do keep mine together - base to base - but, not clipped together tightly in the middle (so they hold their natural camber) and I use a sock over each end of one skis so the bases aren't touching. I'm trying to get permission from the OH to have a ski rack on the dining room wall as I think they look nice.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
petemillis wrote:
I do keep mine together - base to base - but, not clipped together tightly in the middle (so they hold their natural camber) and I use a sock over each end of one skis so the bases aren't touching. I'm trying to get permission from the OH to have a ski rack on the dining room wall as I think they look nice.

tried that mate the OH was none to inpress when i tried using the spare bedroom as a ski /boots store!! some women have no sense of humour snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
petemillis wrote:
... and I use a sock over each end of one skis so the bases aren't touching.

Is that to stop them breeding ? Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnw wrote:

Would WD40 be OK?

No it wouldn't. WD40 disperses water and also breaks down grease. WD40 is a very thin and poor lubricant.
ski holidays
I have always wound the dins right down - under the impression this extends the binding life - can anyone confirm this?
ski holidays
NickB, if your garage has a concrete floor, put something between the floor and the skis, as concrete tends to weep.
ski holidays
Alltracks Academy, True, it releases tension off the release springs.
ski holidays
WTFH, garage floor epoxy painted; I weep when I look at it Very Happy
snow report
SZK, so you'd recommend winding the DIN down then? I've never bothered, but can see some sense in it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy