Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Temperature

Poster: A snowHead
Been checking the forecasts on met check for Pas, and it seems really warm, i.e. up to 13c. Therefore will this mean that it is not able to snow, and what else will these high temps mean?

Also what temp does it have to be to snow??

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
normal snow fall from -4 to +4

but i have seen it snow at+6 and at -10

who knows what will happen next week when the weather comes in!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well its looking rubbish at the moment unless things change !! Sad Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Im depressed, it was looking so so good on the long range forecasts and now.......its POO Confused
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chris Brookes, Anything can happen in the mountains - think positive and maybe stop looking at the daily reports - I know its difficult. I am committed to half term with my grandchildren in Switzerland next Friday but whatever we will enjoy it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Forget all that computer model stuff. Today is groundhog day. That means that if a marmotte popped out of its hole today and saw its shadow, winter will return for 6 more weeks. Wasn't a cloud in the sky today. So that's that.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well. At the risk of inflaming certain people with my vagueness... although I can sympathise with a bit of depression about Andorra (which should cool down by midweek, according to latest GFS run) for much of the alps, particularly Austria, Germany and Switerland the runs today have been getting better and better (mainly temperature-wise, but still a fair bit of precipitation dotted about). The main concern for me was the damned high temperatures again, but the last three runs have each improved on each other and brought the colder air much further south, thus lowering the freezing levels.

Although Monday's looking like being a bit warm at present, from Tuesday onwards there'll be much lower temperatures around and there looks like a chance of a big dumping coming late Thursday into Friday for all areas (from the West via France).

All usual caveats regarding unreliability of snowfall predictions, etc... apply, but this is a huge improvement in the weather forecast over the last 24 hours from what I can see. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds promising snowHead

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 3-02-07 1:12; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I forecast an abundance of snow over the alps over the next week snowHead

Due to the pressure over Plymouth and the price of bacon in Pontefract snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
carled wrote:
Well. At the risk of inflaming certain people with my vagueness... although I can sympathise with a bit of depression about Andorra (which should cool down by midweek, according to latest GFS run) for much of the alps, particularly Austria, Germany and Switerland the runs today have been getting better and better (mainly temperature-wise, but still a fair bit of precipitation dotted about). The main concern for me was the damned high temperatures again, but the last three runs have each improved on each other and brought the colder air much further south, thus lowering the freezing levels.

Although Monday's looking like being a bit warm at present, from Tuesday onwards there'll be much lower temperatures around and there looks like a chance of a big dumping coming late Thursday into Friday for all areas (from the West via France).

All usual caveats regarding unreliability of snowfall predictions, etc... apply, but this is a huge improvement in the weather forecast over the last 24 hours from what I can see. snowHead

yep, fully agree, in 24hrs further changes have turned things back in 'our' favour
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OMG....fantastic news...lets hope it stays like this ...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
carled,lisach, any further updates ??
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Brookes, when/where are you off? Latest (00z) run keeps things developing in the right direction.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Smokin Joe wrote:
Due to the pressure over Plymouth and the price of bacon in Pontefract snowHead

Very Happy hehehehe Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Right. Enough of this. We're out half term, Les Angles.

I want to book loads of snow over the next two weeks, followed by 7 days of blue skies, no wind and sunshine.

Any sites on the net where I might be able to arrange this? Any good weather deals at the moment?

(I thought Pontefract bacon was too salty to affect the weather?)
snow conditions
carled, Murren...20th Feb til mid march
latest report
looks like warmth is back into the models Sad
snow report
kitenski, well FWIW Netweather is predicting 45cm of SNOW for the day we arrive in Meribel, Dunno whether to celebrate or panic (hate having to fit snow chains) Twisted Evil Still if that means we have powder on our first day - WoooooooT!!!! Laughing
snow conditions
kitenski, But only till tuesday and then the snow arrives Very Happy ................and keeps dumping for a week and a half Sad
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
kitenski, But only till tuesday and then the snow arrives Very Happy ................and keeps dumping for a week and a half Sad

The 06Z GFS for La Tania has a warm blip 13th -> 17th feb....
snow conditions
kitenski, Ah but the 1200 is out now. Looks a bit better but it jsut guess work for that far away. The 12z looks much better for this coming week Very Happy
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
kitenski, Ah but the 1200 is out now. Looks a bit better but it jsut guess work for that far away. The 12z looks much better for this coming week Very Happy

This temperature lark is all over the place....but is consitantly showing precipitation. I am no expert but I think the 12Z GFS is only based on 2 refereces (shipping and Satelite) and seems to be providing the most favourable data............. so if you want good news read the 12Z only!
snow conditions
Ok, so temperature on GFS is hovering about 0 deg at 1600.

2 questions:

1) How does the temp gradient work ie +1 deg per 100m? so at 1000 it is +6?

2) And I have seen it asked but as a general rule what temp does snow fall?

And that 12z stuff was noobie glass half full muddy slush coz 12z tonight is Sad
ski holidays
well, the actual temperature at 1500m right now is below freezing (just) which is significantly cooler than the last couple of nights which were almost balmy. But it is probably far colder down in the valley; it was already freezing down there at 3 o'clock this afternoon, at around 900m and the snow which fell on 24 January is still on the trees (ie a marked temperature inversion). That will change with the new air mass we are promised, I suppose. A local lad who was thumbing a lift told me it was going to snow tomorrow.
snow conditions
Ah,

Temperature inversion I feel another question qu'est ca?
snow report
Whyu is no-one concerned about the majorly high temp 12 / 13 Feb? I am trying to be glass half full but it just aint getting colder on those days.

Explain - how can it be so warm 1 day and dip down the next?
latest report
RetroSkier, Why are you so concerned with temprature on those two days? Isn't snow forecast for days before and after this in the coming week?
latest report
True - just want it to dump all week for when we arrive on 17th Feb - Staying in Morzine so quite low!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sure you'll have plenty of skiing available no matter what. Would imagine most runs around morzine will have good bit of snow even if resort itself not full of snow. If you got PDS pass skiing will be awesome and easily accessible from Morzine.
latest report
18z just coming out on Wetterzentral and we could see rain quite high up but its only one day as there looks like some snow sat & sun, bit dodgy mon, and absolutley lovely on tues and shedfulls of neige on wed, hot & dry thurs.. It really is very very changable Confused
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy