Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

why do most europeans ski on the piste?

Poster: A snowHead
stanton wrote:

The Typical, being the German who leaves the Frankfurt office on Friday afternoon drives 230Km/hr to the slopes non-stop,few beers, little sleep & goes out racing down the piste the followng morning & drops dead. Very Happy

He was going die soon anyway but the over exersion brings it on. Skullie

There are worse ways to go
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Although I live in Utah I prefer skiing hardpack and ice conditions than skiing powder. This is due to my bottom/top ski weight balance, so I was told in class yesterday that skiing on powder requires a ~60/40 ski weight distribution (That's right you can do ski class for credit at the University). I tend to overload the inside edge of the bottom ski ~90/10, which causes me to "bicycle" in powdery conditions. However, when it is icy I can ski much better than my American friends (who love powder) as I can maintain a "harder" edge and don't lose the bottom ski when I hit a patch of ice.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidb wrote:
Although I live in Utah I prefer skiing hardpack and ice conditions than skiing powder. This is due to my bottom/top ski weight balance, so I was told in class yesterday that skiing on powder requires a ~60/40 ski weight distribution (That's right you can do ski class for credit at the University). I tend to overload the inside edge of the bottom ski ~90/10, which causes me to "bicycle" in powdery conditions. However, when it is icy I can ski much better than my American friends (who love powder) as I can maintain a "harder" edge and don't lose the bottom ski when I hit a patch of ice.

Maybe we could arrange some sort of exchange programme. I live in a place called Redditch in Worcestershire England. It's fantastic because it's only a 1 1/2 hour flight from some good old European hardpack and it's very reliable unlike Utah! I could ski that horrible powder stuff with your American friends. Sound any good? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd guess that it's because most people are unable to ski off piste.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Onpiste and offpiste both have their merits.

Snappy slalom turns on fresh corduroy are cool.

Pounding the bumps is sweet.

Leaving an S trail in powpow is monster.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold, do you write ads for a teenage girls' mag by any chance?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boris360, I am learning to ski on powder on my slalom skis, but I'd still rather be 30min drive from the slopes and ski from November to April than live back in England and worry about when the slopes in Europe will get enough snow.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
asland, I got into skiing watching Franz Klammer race on TV. He didn't ski the powder....so it doesn't exist Laughing

CD
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidb wrote:
boris360, I am learning to ski on powder on my slalom skis, but I'd still rather be 30min drive from the slopes and ski from November to April than live back in England and worry about when the slopes in Europe will get enough snow.

30 minute drive!! I feel for you bro. From where I live I can be at The Tamworth Snowdome in 15 minutes tops. And get this, it's open all year round. Cool That's right, 365 days of man made hardpack on my doorstep!
I'll bet you're feeling preetttty damn stupid now aren't you mate?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
boris360, I don't think I have an answer to that! Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
asland wrote:
...............st anton (austria).............. They had some of the best snow in the world and wide open bowls and 98% of the skiiers skiied on the groomers that were cut across the mountain..........

Gosh. St Anton's changed since I was there, then (pre relocation of railway station). The accessible off-piste used to get hammered immediately after a powder dump in those days.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles, hmmmmmm Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think we should create a new phrase "Adjacent Piste" rather than "Off Piste" --- a few days after the pow has been skiid out, when the piste is crowded, hard & icy the best - easiest - most enjoyable place to be is that lovely, grippy packed-powder just next to the piste.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dont moan about it it leaves that much more for those of us that do ride it!

italians never ride it either, but i have heard that some countries ban off piste riding full stop
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I there anywhere like La Grave in America? Or anything quite like the Derby de la Meije anywhere in the world?
snow conditions
No
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy