Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SMA to withdraw Amex reward points for next season?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Due to low uptake apparently, SMA are minded not to renew their partnership with American Express charge cards whereby weekly lift passes for Les Arcs are available in exchange for reward points.

I am told that the service is currently off the website, although expected back soon.
Meanwhile, if you are an Amex card holder, you can still get passes for this season by calling 01273 863863 (option 7 and then option 0 to speak with customer services).

They also encouraged my Amex wielding friends to ask others to call and enquire as to why they are removing the reward - more enquiries may change the mind of the lift company.

As a non Amex bearer (nor employee!) it matter little to me but I thought I'd bring this to the attention of anyone who is heading for Les Arcs for whom it might be a useful little perk. Well, this year.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you have an Amex card just pause and wonder why so few places in the UK accept it!

and then try and understand why American Express take 11 days to pay the retailers that DO accept Amex cards. (and also charge the retailer the highest commission of any card issuer)

PS.
Visa/Access take 2 banking days to pay a retailer.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Didn't know that Amex and SMA had this arrangement. I use my Amex card a lot, but collect British Airways Miles with it rather than Amex reward points, so the end of the tie up with SMA won't really affect me.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
boredsurfin, I used to work at Amex (many moons ago) - for 10 years, in the Fraud Dept and then in various customer and establishment service type departments- all "front line" stuff. It was often tricky explaining to a retailer that the higher service charges are really good value as customers with Amex cards are bound to spend more than any other customer and more more likely to be repeat spenders. Obviously an Amex cardholder would buy 2 pairs of skis rather than a Visa cardholder who would only by one pair, and because the Amex card has "no preset spending limit"* then the customer could potentially buy all the stock in your shop so be grateful. The establishment should indeed be so grateful that they are happy to give Amex double the commission on double the value spend. Of course, the establishments would point out that as the value of the spend was so much greater then the service charge should be no higher than for Visa and Amex would still get more money. Ho hum - it's all that "perceived value" thing - charge someone more than anyone else for a card and they think they're getting something special. I wanted to go into the local Brighton Amex travel office a short while ago to grab some ski brochures - it's empty now with a helpful notice on the door saying the nearest travel office is in Guildford or some weird place like that - only 40 miles away. That's handy!

* "no preset spending limit" in reality meant you wouldn't know what your spending limit is until computer said no. Potentially a cause of much embarrassment if someone with a card was wanting to make a big spend to impress a bird or a client. So many free to have cards now have such fliexibility in credit limits - like as soon as I hit £5k on VISA I get a letter saying they've increased my limit to £7500! It's truly scarey....

Anyway, what was this topic about?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy