Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My B3s are broken!! - should I replace them with something else

Poster: A snowHead
I bought new B3s 3 weeks ago, and have been very pleased with them until today, when half way down a run the top part of one ski (ie everything part from the base) cracked either side of the bindings and came away from the base. This may have been the result of an earlier collision with a steep bank - however I wasn't going fast at the time, the bindings didn't release, and I wasn't hurt myself in anyway ...

Makes me think there is some sort of inherent defect or manufacturing fault - I'd be interested to know whether anyone else knows of problems with B3s ...

I won't be too upset if Rossignol won't replace them - as I think I'll be able to get the cost back on insurance anyway. If that happens what would other Snowheads suggest as replacement skis with similar characteristics. I liked the B3s a lot until today, but think maybe I'd be better off with something with a wood core?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GeorgeM, Scott Missions.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Chris - tried them before I bought the B 3s - liked them but thought they were a bit flappy on piste.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Volkl Karmas, Big Troubles, Legend 8000/8800?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The original and the best "Pocket Rockets". I picked up an ex rental pair a few years ago in val d'isere for 140euros with bindings. Pretty much the only thing i ski on now. Did hire some atomic 160 race slalom skis last week, was expecting a lively ride on piste compared to the pockets but was somewhat underwhelmed. Not sure about the B3s but the pockets are a great all round ski, for sure they aint't going to hold on to ice as well as carvers but they do a damn good job. Not sure you can get them anymore, but if you see a cheap secondhand pair I'd grab'em.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I ski Dynastar 8800. Very pleased with them. They feel like having Downhill race skis on, on piste very stable.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GeorgeM, I think you may have been a bit unlucky with your B3s, I got a pair at the start of last season and have skiied 70 days or so in all sorts of rocks, ice and (very) occasional powder since and the skis are still in great nick. Even more impressive as I'm just over 17st. I would of thought Rossi will replace them for you, if not other options to consider - Volkl Karma or Mantra?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GeorgeM wrote:
I bought new B3s 3 weeks ago, and have been very pleased with them until today, when half way down a run the top part of one ski (ie everything part from the base) cracked either side of the bindings and came away from the base. This may have been the result of an earlier collision with a steep bank - however I wasn't going fast at the time, the bindings didn't release, and I wasn't hurt myself in anyway ...

Makes me think there is some sort of inherent defect or manufacturing fault - I'd be interested to know whether anyone else knows of problems with B3s ...

I won't be too upset if Rossignol won't replace them - as I think I'll be able to get the cost back on insurance anyway. If that happens what would other Snowheads suggest as replacement skis with similar characteristics. I liked the B3s a lot until today, but think maybe I'd be better off with something with a wood core?

I'd look at my insurance policy as well as trying to secure a refund /replacement
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
waynos, Pocket Rockets? Nooooooo!

Sorry, not my own cup of tea, although I'm sure in deep powder they're lovely. A chacun son gout...

GeorgeM - Stockli Stormrider XLs? Haven't yet tried them myself, am going to...I would be walking straight back to the retailer myself if I was you - and if they argue something around you being too heavy/aggressive/etc. remind them that they sold them to you and I presume there was an element of advice given?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GeorgeM wrote:
Thanks Chris - tried them before I bought the B 3s - liked them but thought they were a bit flappy on piste.

Go try them again.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GeorgeM,

Depends how you ski as to what choices you have
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the suggestions - a lot to think about already - JT, I prefer off piste to on but don't ski particularly aggressively (or stylishly). I'm trying Scott Aztec Pros tomorrow, at the local hire shop's suggestion - apparently stiffer than the Missions, as well as being narrower. Might give the Missions another go, however ...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GeorgeM,

Have look at Movements, the Spark is 82 underfoot but rails the piste and floats well ... needs input as it doesn't do it for you...but a bit of a goer....!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How tall and heavy are you GeorgeM?

Sounds like a ski testing trip is in order Wink

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GeorgeM, the Aztec Pro is a very good ski, and probably is a bit stiffer than the Mission.
snow conditions
kitenski, quite big - about 185 cm and 90 kilos. My B3s are (were) 184 cm.

I intend to do some testing as I'm already in resort and my insurance co have said I'm covered for up to £200 worth of ski hire in the circumstances as well as £250 towards replacement - I think the rest of the cost of new skis will be covered by a 50% accidental breakage guarantee I was given when I originally bought the B3s - I'm going to check this out at the shop this afternoon.
snow conditions
GeorgeM, if you don't mind working your ski a little, want a ski that feels like a GS ski on piste and tons of fun off piste then the Volkl Mantra is for you...
latest report
parlor,

I second the Mantra.

GeorgeM, Have a look at the ski reviews on here
snow report
GeorgeM : I'm pretty much your height & weight, my pockets are 175cm and i've a pair of salomon 3Vs at 176. I'd suggest trying 175sih, i think that is bang on for an off-piste ski for my style of skiing, my 3Vs could of easily have been 165 or even small for on piste, though I have used these off piste quite a bit and they still perform, probably due to being too long for the style of skiing there designed for.
ski holidays
cheers, what length Mission did you try? Maybe a longer one wouldn't flap as much? I'm 5ft 10",80kg and have 178cm Missions which I can't get to flap on piste Wink
snow report
JT wrote:
parlor,

I second the Mantra.

GeorgeM, Have a look at the ski reviews on here

I'd be pretty upset if Rossignol didn't waranty them - even if you've done some heavy crashing they shouldn't fall apart (unless you busted an edge out on a rock or something).

I spent the last week or so on my new Mantras in a mixture of conditions from fluffy pow, cement, slush, softpack, hardpack, and chalky snow - they absolutely rock. snowHead They are a better all-rounder than the Karma despite the extra width. I suspect this is due to the slightly softer tip, though are still super stable at crazy speed snowHead Like the Karmas though you need to work them a bit to get the best out of them.

I did however crash out of the course twice attempting a GS on a hard and worn/pollished course - they are not the ideal skis for that, and I wouldn't go as far as saying they feel like a GS ski (nothing like a GS ski in fact! wink ) but if you don't need to get round gates they are still pretty reasonable on hardpack.
snow report
GeorgeM, I know nothing about ski's, but I think if they were mine, like stuarth, says I'd be a put out if a manufacturer as big as Rossignol didn't replace or money back them under warranty (not that I know anything about ski warranties either). I'd have thought they would be prepared to do money back or a credit note as you should have a valid reason not to want those ones again. have you tried approaching them - not only that, but I'd be surprised if they didn't want them back to test why they failed. Maybe they've had a batch of duff materials - if you let them know what's happened they might do a recall for tests and you could save others from potential injury. Like I say I know absolutely nothing about ski's, but I know what I'd take back to a manufacturer.
ski holidays
would agree with JT, take a look at Movement - all wood cores. I've got the Gladiators which are 92 underfoot and 183 long but don't ski like it - stiff as hell too for the type of ski they are - you'd need to work hard to drive them edge to edge, so they suit bigger aggressive skiers (your height and weight sound fine for them) but they're still a great all mountain ski, terrific off-piste but plenty capable and fun on piste and hard-pack. nice and light too for the odd hike. I intend getting a second pair soon and sticking touring bindings on
ski holidays
GeorgeM, I've tried the B3's once, and have skied the B2's a lot. I have the Dynastar 8000s in a 184 which is pretty much all I ski on. I find they're that little bit stiffer to make them great in the crud, but can carve around the piste with the best of them. Have tried the 8800s too, but with rental bindings and I'm not sure if that was the reason why, but didn't like them as much in either the soft stuff or on the piste.
ski holidays
Elan m666, a revelation (to me anyway)
ski holidays
Thanks for all these suggestions - haven't managed to try everything but thought people might be interested in where I have go to.

1. sounds like Rossignol will do the decent thing, and that I am going to get money back, or at least a credit note.

2. I have tried the following (largely dictated by what was available in the locaol hire shops)...

Aztec Pros - lighter and softer than the B3s and a lot of fun.
Head Monster IM88 amd IM82 liked both of these but especially the 82 - (88 too fat and took too long to turn) both felt stable on piste
Movement Spark and Flame - both noticably stiff and held me into turns. Exciting and fast but hard work on piste. I had a fantastic run in powder on the Flames.
Fischer Maru 76 - (for me) best of all - more forgiving than Head and Movement but more substantial and grippy than the Aztecs, and nice and easy to turn - Will go for these as the replacement.

In each case I tested lengths of 180 or above, apart from the Flames which were 179.

Incidentally does anyone know if there is any difference between the Fischer Maru 76 and Fischer AMC 76? Maru seems to be fairly widely available here in France but there is nothing about it on the Fischer website.
snow report
GeorgeM,

Can't answer your Fischer question but well done for getting through all those skis. And good old Rossi
snow report
GeorgeM,

Stick with the B3's. You obviously spent a while before deciding on them, that is why you chose them. If they hadn't been damaged would you be considering replacing them now?

I skied the B3's in Jan and they were great.

Bod.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not skied B3s but love B2s. Tried Head iM82s this year and found them to be great, very similar to B2 but a little clunky from edge to edge. In this year's icy alpine conditions, they hold their edges really well when carving, certainly as well as the B2.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy