Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

apres ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
We have never been skiing before and not sure what boots/shoes to wear when not skiing,
we need to buy four pairs so dont want to spend too much.
Can any one suggest please?

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I just wear trainers or Timberlands, no need to buy Moonboots or the like!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
minicat, Anything with a half decent tread on the bottom - i use a pair of Merrell trainers,but anything will do, certainly no need to buy smoething specific.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks
The only doubt I've got is is it too cold for trainers

thanks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ordinary walking boots seem to do the job.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wore a pair of boots with some warm socks and that did the trick. To be honest I think you'll find that you aren't outside in the cold evening for long enough for it to be a problem.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
great boots it is then
can anyone recommend where to go and what brand - not too expensive!!
thanks
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you go to www.mandmdirect.com you can find a good selection of discounted Timberland boots. They're comfy for travelling and will do you well over here as well so it's not money spent on just one week. I buy loads of stuff of M and M as it's just so cheap.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Forgot to mention - M and M have got some nice Karrimor boots as well
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks will have a look - are trainers ok though as my son isn't keen on boots
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have snowboots and Timberland ankle boots.
The snowboots are never used now as they're not too comfortable for travelling and I don't want to wear trainers on the plane and pack the boots in my luggage.
My timberlands are worn whenever I'm not in ski boots. Also mine are made of cordura (or something similar) with goretex. They are lightweight and flexible - more like trainers than boots.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks, are they warm enough though
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
minicat, not the question to ask this season, ask whether they are Gore-Tex or otherwise water resistant and whether the tongue is one piece-stitched to the rest of the shoe.

First puddle of melt you step in, you'll know why.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
minicat, Our lot (2 adults, 4 teenagers) just wear their ordinary trainers. No-one has complained of cold feet. The only problem is if it gets too WARM and the snow turns to slush you can get wet feet! Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
minicat, Minicat, as per Comprex - waterproofness is more important than warmth in a shoe/boot. Pair of ski socks and a leather or goretex boot will be plenty warm enough.
ski holidays
minicat, Trainers are generally fine as long as they've got a decent sole. They've done me fine for years. If you specifically want boots try Decathlon or TK Max for some bargains.
ski holidays
minicat wrote:
thanks, are they warm enough though

Hi Minicat, as aforementioned, just get some Goretex trainers, Salomon, Merrell etc. They look like normal-ish trainers but do the job in terms of waterproofing and warmth. I spent a whole season in a pair without a problem. They are designed for the job!

Something like these....

You can get cheaper though just follow the goretex advice and you'll be fine!

Good Luck Very Happy
snow report
I got these for £12 in the sale:

http://www.tchibo.co.uk/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/uk/-/GBP/TdUkDisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=M9684
latest report
wow these look great - will show the others - thanks for the advice - I think I will have Timberlands though, good excuse to treat myself!
latest report
Can you wear snowboard boots to walk around in??????
Sorry if its a dumb question!
snow report
minicat, yes, you can.....but I wouldn't. They're far comfier than ski boots, but not as good as a proper pair of boots/trainers.
snow report
sorry but why are they not as good
snow report
Because a good fitting pair of snowboard boots are not that comfy to walk in (at least mine aren't). And after a day on the slopes wearing them, it's nice to put something else on.
ski holidays
minicat, Definitly go with good tread, I got caught out last year on ice. Not all resorts are good at keeping pathways clear. I bought myself some UGGS (they're not cheap though) this year, but the ones with the thicker tread, and they were like wearing slippers - I love them!
snow conditions
After many years of skidding around on the pavements apres ski - or the piste pulling a sledge - finally found some boots like the lifties wear - Alpine Snowsports 'Snowdome'.

Has grippy sole, 2 inches of rubber on the uppers to make it waterproof and insulated with 'Thinsulate' to keep you warm if standing around.

The very thing.
latest report
I saw someone out in Meribel last winter wearing stillettos. Cool
snow report
Snowy, with anything else? Male or female?
latest report
I'll pass on the stilletoes thanks - where do you get the Snowdome ones from?
Thanks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy