Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Club Ski instruction at Banff

Poster: A snowHead
I noticed a change of venues for club ski compared to last year. It was LakeLouise on day1, followed by Sunshine and Norquay last year, but the website has it down in a different order this year.
http://www.skibig3.com/school/clubski.cfm

Anyone been there this season who can confirm the first day is now in Sunshine ??

Only 20 sleeps to go Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stevev, I can confirm that the Club Ski lessons do indeed start at Sunshine rather than Lake Louise on the first day, I was there (I still wish I was.Sad) 2 weeks ago. The snow was brilliant in all 3 areas. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Double check it again on the day that you get there. I got caught out a couple of years ago when they switched venues and I missed the first day. Club ski operate from a shop on the main street in Banff. Can't remember exactly where but it's roughly half way up the street.

Banff is still the best place I've ever been.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Club ski operate from a shop on the main street in Banff. Can't remember exactly where but it's roughly half way up the street.

They operate out of SkiHub just down from where we are staying (mount royal). We booked the club ski through crystal so expect they will have details when we arrive.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is Club Ski worth the money (no, I’m not having a go, just very interested).

We are going to Canada early next year (2 adults, 2 kids 8 & 9, all low to middle intermediates) and will be in Banff from 24th to 28th January, and think this would be a better idea than ski school lessons. We have never been to any Banff ski resorts (1st time in Canada), so it would be good to be guided throughout the day, with some additional lesson added. Is it basically a 4 hour guide throughout the resorts (2 hours morning, followed by lunch, with a further 2 hours in the afternoon), with some additional lessons thrown in to help improve (not full on lessons like during ski school). Also is it a case of finding your own way to the resorts and meet up with the instructors at designated locations, with having to organise your own 3 day lift pass prior.

Sorry if the above seems a dumb question, but never asked never known.

Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You meet at the resorts each day, very easy to find the Club Ski instructors. You get the same one each day. As a beginner the Club Ski was all instruction on how to Ski. Last year (our 2nd) it was more of a guided tour with some intermadiate coaching

For kids it looked excellent, you get 4 hours babysitting per day and the kids are with others there own age
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Celts88,

Club Ski is definitely worth the money. The instruction is good, and I wouldn't differentiate it from "ski school lessons".

Over a six year period, Club ski took me up to and over the "intermediate plateau", while their top level class can be full-on gung-ho. (Not recommended for the timid: mad Japanese instructor called Adsushi (sp?)).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Celts88 Our group actually thought it was better than European ski schools. The get together at the end of the 3 days at the Banff Springs hotel with videos, photos and a meal is great (costs extra). Not as good this year as last but still worth it. My buddy enjoyed it so much, he signed up for an extra 3 days (3 days for the price of 2) and enjoyed it immensely.

He's got the instructors e-mail and is going to do the same again in February. He says it's the best ski instruction he's had. (previously a week in La Plagne)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Most people seem to rate it. Met up with some friends and their group who'd just doen it once & tagged on to the dinner & everyone seemed enthusiastic. Sociable and instruction by stealth while touring the mountain seemed to be the recipe.

The alternative might be to do some semi private lessons and take the free mountain tours which some people love for the scosiable aspect (don't know if kids are allowed). Lift pass is I think extra (& most visitors have a multi resort Big 3 pass anyway I think)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Celts88, when I used them last year (April '06) there were five people in my group, and 8 in 'Er Indoors' group. I skied with Neil Trevis, and he was superb. As I recall Club Ski prices were extremely competitive. The dinner at the Club Ski Fairmont was also excellent.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the replies

I like the idea of the Club Ski being more of a guided tour with discreet lessons thrown in as required. As we will only have 1 day at each resort then I would rather spend more time seeing the place than spending to long with lessons. Yes, I realise that there are free mountain tours, but with an 8 & 9 year old in tow it is worth the extra to pay the money for the Club Ski and enjoy it ‘KIDS FREE’. I don’t mind the sound of the dinner at the end of the 3 days as this will be good to see others away from the slopes (we are in Canada not only for the skiing, but also the cultural change).

We may go to Panorama for 2 days further skiing after this, and then back to Banff for the last 3 days of our holiday (will finish of at Banff due to it being an easier car trip back to Calgary for the Flight home).

As an aside, where would be the best place to stay in Banff (2 adults, 2 kids). Not looking for the most luxurious, but clean, tidy and not to noisy (road or crowds). We have a car for the trip, but don't want to always have to drive into town each night for a feed and seeing the sights.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Celts88,

Quote:

we are in Canada not only for the skiing, but also the cultural change

HaHaaaa! You won't get that in Banff, then: it's got one of the largest populations of Aussies outside Sydney! wink

There are a lot of hotels in Banff: they are all clean tidy and quiet. The trick is to choose something near to the centre, otherwise you're faced with a bit of a trek downtown. Banff sprawls along a main road (Banff Avenue) with a network of sidestreeets off it. Most of the hotels are on Banff Avenue, but this doesn't mean that youre constantly disturbed by traffic noise or drunken revellers: the sound insulation is pretty impressive.

I've stayed at the Mount Royal quite a few times. It's very central. Also well located are the Banff International (opposite Safeway, and they gave me a room upgrade) and the Ptarmigan (Next door to the BI). All three are comfortable and reasonably priced.

Panorama is not my favourite hill, but it depends on the conditions.

Finally, note that January can be very cold: a neoprene face-mask is a good investment.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Celts88, the hotels along the far end of Banff Avenue are cheapest but as Acacia says it is a bit of a trek. I am happy to stay that end in March/April (Inns of Banff) but it would be far too cold to walk it in January. That said a taxi is only a few dollars - I wonder if the little shuttle (road)train is still running? wherever you decide check out the location on the street map. Town to Inns of Banff is 25 minutes walk (for a lard like me).

I would suggest something slightly out of the centre rather than Mount Royal (BI and Ptarmigan as previously suggested are well placed) for ease of parking and quieter for the family - you could PM cathy - she is a regular visitor to Banff.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh gosh, thanks holidayloverxx, I feel very important now but I'm not really a regular Banff visitor, just been there twice and was thinking of going again this year Toofy Grin

We've stayed at the Ptarmigan and it was fine, nothing special but clean and close to the central shops and restaurants. Have also stayed at the Caribou which was a nicer hotel but was a bit of trek to walk in to the restaurants. Personally I think the hotels are all much of a muchness and because they're not half-board like you would get in Europe, it's not that critical which one you pick. I did like the bar in the Ptarmigan which was handy for having a drink off the slopes and meeting up with others. If we were going back again we'd stay at the Ptarmigan again.

If you've only got 3 days in Banff I'd have thought the Club Ski programme would be fine, although I think the final day in Norquay is always a bit wasted. But at least it makes you go there which you probably wouldn't bother doing otherwise.

Acacia, yes, the OH found himself in a class taken by Sushi (?) - definitely kamikaze! And hyweljenkins, I'm pretty sure I had Neil Trevis my first time there - orange boots stick in my mind for some reason?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mount Rotal is a great place, there is a big car park around the back, so wouldn't think parking is an issue. Mount royal is very central.

We are also considering Park lodge for next year.

One thing to consider is the buses, if you get on at end of Banff Ave, you could sit on the bus for 15mins before getting out of town. Even the banff springs bus goes to ski hub and park lodge beofre hitting the highway

If you get a hotel down the far end of Banff Avenue it is a long, VERY COLD walk to the main shopping/food area. Took us 20mins to walk from Mount Royal to Bumpers (and I didn't rate the food that great once we got there)

Tony Romas restaurant in Mount Royal was a top place, the Keg next to the Ski Hub did great steaks, and the italian above McDonalds was excellent. The Maple Leaf was fantastic food, but quite expensive and a bit posher.
snow conditions
I'd agree the Keg does great steak meals. My fave restuarant is Saltliks - mmmmmm! Although we were most disappointed - or relieved! - when we went on our second trip to find European-sized portions rather than Canadian. But lovely food. And the Maple Leaf is very expensive and I've never had a meal that I really enjoyed there. And you have to wait ages for your food!

Probably the crappiest meal I've had in Canada was at Tony Romas! We were quite a large group and all had really poor food. Perhaps they were having an off day..... Toofy Grin

The buses going to the ski areas aren't so much of a problem cos as soon as they fill up - which could be just a couple of hotel stops - they're off. But coming back can be a pain if you're in a hotel close to town on the Banff Avenue bus drop-offs, as they drop off at the far end of Banff Avenue first and then stop at every bus stop - that can be a pain!
latest report
Quote:

The buses going to the ski areas aren't so much of a problem cos as soon as they fill up - which could be just a couple of hotel stops - they're off. But coming back can be a pain if you're in a hotel close to town on the Banff Avenue bus drop-offs, as they drop off at the far end of Banff Avenue first and then stop at every bus stop - that can be a pain!

There are two bus routes. The bus going to Park Lodge, Ski Hub (for Mount Royal) and Banff SPring has quite a short drop off route compared to the other Banff Avenue bus. That is why we are only considering Park Lodge or Mount Royal this year.
snow conditions
We're travelling to Banff next season and have opted for a car for the duration, just to give some freedom and to see other sites. Smile

Have heard tho, but not confirmed, that the bus situation could be changed Puzzled instead of pickups all around the town buses for Sunshine and Lake Louise leaving from a central depot with you having to make your own way there Shocked

Like I say its not confirmed yet but something they have been discussing, mainly for enviromental reasons. Me, I think its to give taxi drivers a bit more revenue wink
latest report
Bones, for the coming season at least, the bus situation has been resolved and will remain as it is, picking up from all round town. It may well change in future years though. Full discussion here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=24629
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy