Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

mobiles on the slopes

Poster: A snowHead
I hate my mobile, in fact I hate mobiles full stop, but as our lad is going into ski kindergarten on our next holiday, they have asked that we are contactable and obviously will need the damn thing.

Whats the etiquette on the slopes (is there one?). I would hate to be that person with the mobile ringing if its not the done thing!

God I really, really do hate my mobile. Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fruity, like you I get mildly annoyed by people who insist on talking to their mobiles whilst on the piste (hopefully they're at least on the side of the piste at the time - not guaranteed). Mind you in Italy, where I've skiied quite a bit, mobiles are surgically grafted to Italians' ears. Anyway my etiquette would be to use them at the top or bottom of the run if you must. hey why not take our PCs with us on the runs as well and work piste-side. Part of the point of skiing is to get away from your daily routines. That said, I'm sure they can leave you a message from the kindergarten in an emergency, which you'll get at some stage when you check in. Don't let them spoil your skiing by feeling you need to check it every run!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know a few snow-bars where a mobile-melody will earn you some dirty looks - one even has a sign - "keine handy". You need to know that your kids are ok though - maybe you can find a discreet ringtone - most phones have one.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The meeting profile on Nokias works well (single beep, then vibrate). Just put the phone in an internal pocket, or you won't feel it (I've deliberatly left out the sexual inuendo here).

2 way radios are also quite a good replacment for mobiles, especially in mixed ability groups, where you just need to keep in touch to arange the next meeting point. The range is fairly good and the good ones have hands free kits now.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Your kids safety is obviously of paramount importance so what can be done to make it easier carrying your phone?

A) there are always discrete ring tones - I have one which slowly gains in volume so I'll often answer it before anyone else hears it. Still not always possible if U have gloves and stuff to deal with first.

B) bluetooth - this is a new technology allowing cordless headsets/earpieces. They are very lightweight and some are even comfortable to wear for extended periods. The advantage is that your phone stays in your pocket and answers automatically: U barely even need to break your rhythm. However older phones will not have this and only some of the newish ones do. If your phone is over a year old though U can usally persuade your telco to upgrade it for you for free or thereabouts.

C) A replacement SIM card. Buy a pay as U go SIM in the country U are visiting and pop it into your phone. no-one back home will have your number and U give to only those U have to for emergency purposes. The bonus is that any calls made or received on it will far cheaper than via your UK SIM. U will however need to get your phone 'unlocked'. The drawback of us getting our phones 'for free' when we take on a service contract is that the phone will be locked to use only SIM cards belonging to that network ie. U cannot use a T-mobile SIM in an Orange phone. U will find that any 'indpendent' phone shop will unlock your phone to work with any SIM for £10-15.

Personally, I find the "dzzzz kghghshhhhh thhhhhhp where are U? tssssszzzzz who's that?" of short range radios far more intrusive than the occasional ring of a mobile phone.
They used to yodel U know rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The worst case of rudeness was a guy in our ski class who, when his mobile rang, put his hand up to the instructor and said "excuse me, stop talking while I take this call"!! Understandably, the instructor took no notice. Shocked

I do carry one as it's useful for arranging where to meet etc., but normally do this by text messaging. However, I was on the national downhill in Zermatt in January (a big step for me as blacks are normally beyond my level), I was concentrating very, very hard on my turns etc., and my pocket was constantly bleating out the "bugle" call of my mobile phone Evil or Very Mad Annoyingly, my partner must have thought "oh dear, maybe she's fallen over" and kept on ringing and ringing. I very nearly hurled it into the trees!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have an Austrian Apres Ski ringtone on my phone, always gets a few laughs if I'm in the bar when it rings.

If the phone rings while skiing I generally leave it until I can get to a suitable place (i.e. At the bottom of the piste out of the way from skiers and lift lines). Even if it is the most important phone call in the world, what exactly can you do now that you can't do in a couple of minutes time?

Anybody that uses a phone in a lift line should be shot.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I usually put it on silent, vibrating (it's a nokia). If I feel it, I answer. If not, whoever is calling me, will call back again. Also, I use the earphone. it's discrete but it make you look a bit weird, talking to yourself...Ah, I forgot.
I'm Italian, but I don't have the cell phone surgically grafted to my ear... Laughing
It is true that more or less 80% of us Italians own a cell phone (kids included!!!)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I never take my phone on piste but pick up voice messages when I get back to the hotel.
As for ringtones, there's only one suitable for the winter season - Ski Sunday Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Matteo,
An Italian speaking while only moving one hand - I didn't know that was physically possible Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I make sure my voicemail service is de-activated before going away - you pay when someone leaves a message even if you don't listen to the message. 'Missed call' lets you know who's rung - I ring back when convenient or text
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter B, I have Ski Sunday ring tone on my phone too. It cheers me up everytime it rings Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cathy, you're on the wrong contract if they charge you for un-listened to messages. I've never heard of this charge before.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter B, I too have ski sunday ring tone on my mobile (work) and match of the day on my personal one Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pete - what network are you on that doesn't charge? There were a few of us using different netwroks and we all had this - I guess I assumed they all did Sad
ski holidays
Cathy,
The problem isn't in being charged for not listening to messages, if your phone is switched on when someone calls then redirects to voicemail, you will have to pay for the re-direction to voicemail.
So, if you don't want to be charged, leave your phone switched off, and just switch it on to see if there are any messages and then pick them up.
(this is when you're roaming)

It's also cheaper to send/receive text messages when abroad than to call, so you may want to change your voicemail to tell people not to leave a message, but to text you.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Matteo,
An Italian speaking while only moving one hand - I didn't know that was physically possible Wink

Hey DB! Long time no see! How are you?
I always use both hands,I wouldn't be able to pass the message, were it otherwise! That's why I use the earphones, so to have both hands free!
ehe. Wink
latest report
Also, it may be interesting to buy one of those rechargable phone cards when abroad, and to tell people to call you on that number (this way one would avoid
roaming fees)
I am unsure whether the rechargables sims require the buyer to be a resident,though.
snow report
Ah - thanks WTFH, all is clear now! Very Happy
ski holidays
Cathy/WTFH, I've never received a call then diverted it (or let it divert) to voicemail as far as I know, so that may be why I've had no charges. I have had voicemail messages but that was because my phone was switched off or out of range. I'm on Orange pay monthly, Talk30 I think.
snow conditions
Yeah, Pete, that's it - if the phone is switched off when the call comes in, then you're OK.
snow conditions
Matteo wrote:
DB wrote:
Matteo,

Hey DB! Long time no see! How are you?
I always use both hands,I wouldn't be able to pass the message, were it otherwise! That's why I use the earphones, so to have both hands free!
ehe. Wink

Opps sorry Matteo, missed your reply.
I'm doing fine trust you are too - looks like some snow might be coming your way. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy