Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flights to Big White

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Although we are remaining in Europe for the next trip, we are taking the plunge and going to Canada for next New Year in the hope of having loads of the white stuff. There are 16 of us in total and we have found a suitable chalet in Big White. Don't know much about the place but the description given in the web site would suggest it will fit the bill. The only problem is organising the flights as it would appear to be at least 2 stops ( we dont fancy the 4 hr drive from Vancouver). Anybody got any info about the resort and any tips on booking flights to it etc
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, you're either going to have to drive or change planes, as I doubt there are many direct flights from the UK to Kelona.

BA flies direct to Vancouver and Seattle, and you can fly from either of those direct to Kelona. I'm sure you can do the same from Toronto and I'm sure several other cities. Flying into Spokane and driving from there may be an option, too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are rumours of direct UK-> Kelowna flights at some point if the plans to extend the runway at Kelowna come off - but I wouldn't bet on it being in time for next New Year.

In the meantime if you don't want to drive then your options for flying into Kelowna from the UK basically involve flying via Vancouver, Calgary, or Toronto. You can get connecting flights with Air Canada, or do it as 2 seperate ones (which is potentially cheaper) and use WetJet for the internal Canadian flight, and Canadian Affair/Zoom for the transatlantic part. Another option is to go via Seattle and get connecting flights from there with Alaska.

We've been season ticket holders at BW for quite a few years, there are a few others like uktrailmonster who even have property there, and quite a few other snowheads who've skied there in the last few years, so you shouldn't have much trouble getting info. Is there anything in particular you want to know about the resort rather than specifically the flights.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think Okanagan has covered pretty much all of your flight options. Edmonton is yet another alternative for your connection. We used Air Canada last time, connecting in Vancouver. For our next trip in March we've booked with Air Canada to Calgary and then Westjet to Kelowna. Westjet use bigger planes than Air Canada for their internal flights and cost a little less. Zoom are the cheapest option for the transatlantic flights, but I'm not sure how reliable they are. Okanagan, have you flown with Zoom and if so how did you rate them? The final road journey from Kelowna to Big White is under an hour.

It's a great place to ski, I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rowley B QC, if you do a search on Big White there's quite a few threads on it, most recently here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=510371#510371

We're flying there via Edmonton this March.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
uktrailmonster, we flew zoom last year, and had no problems. It's actually the best timed flight from the UK into Vancouver as it gets you there early afternoon (or at least it did last year), which gives you time to do half the drive up to BW that day (up to Hope, or somewhere around there) and then hit the Coquihalla first thing in the morning and you can be in BW by lunchtime. The BA flight in contrast gets in so late that you're more or less forced to either overnight in Vancouver or take a chance on it not being late if you want to catch the last flight up to Kelowna (by which time, given the time difference, all you want to do is sleep anyway).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all, I will check out zoom and westjet to start with. I appreciated that it wouldnt be a direct flight but didnt know whether it was better/cheaper to change at calgery toronto or vancouver. I've also heard horror stories about skis/boards being left behind because there isnt enough room on the internal flight.

We've got the kids( aged 9 and 6 both ski ) so it would be nice to how good and how much the child care/lessons are.

Also is the snow as guaranteed as it looks.

What will the temp be like. Ive been to Killington USA in early Jan and it was bloody freezing!

The Chalet is self catering so where is the nearest decent supermarket,what the restarants/bars like

Finally,one of our group doesn't ski,is it worth us renting a car so he can do a bit of sightseeing

Cheers
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh - and if nobody's already mentioned it, if you're going for a couple of weeks, it's worth buying season tickets at the early season (until September) prices - breaks even at about 10 days, and gets you some discounts on accomodation, lessons, equipment, etc. too
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cathy, found the thread it seems to answer quite a few of my questions
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The BW ski school do morning/afternoon lessons with lunch and supervised time in between, so that's probably what you want for that age group. 5 days is about C$300 - less 15% if you have a season pass. By the time you add the tax that puts you back to about the original C$300 mark. Look out for family season passes, which saves even more over the list price.

You're less likely to get skis left behind on Westjet as they're bigger planes, but if the worst does happen they're pretty good at delivering luggage to you at the resort.

Snow is pretty well guaranteed - plenty of times I've known the locals to be apologising for the poor snow, when you'd think it would be considered good conditions in European terms. A couple of years ago when most of the Pacific North West was having a bad season BW (and neighbouring Silver Star) were just about the only resorts to be able to stay fully open in the region.

Temperature at New Year could go down to about -10, not often colder than that, and it's typically a dry cold, so you don't really feel it that much. Almost certainly will be warmer than Killington. Think warmer than the Calgary area resorts, and dryer than Whistler and you'll not be too far out. I can dig out historical weather stats for BW if you're really interested.

If you're getting a car, or there are enough of you for a private transfer and can persuade them to stop for you, I'd shop down in Kelowna - there is a small supermarket in the resort but it obviously doesn't have the same choice.

A fair choice of restaurants/bars - Snowshoe Sams is the liveliest bar, and has a nice restaurant upstairs (compulsory that at least one of your party tries the gunbarrel coffee there!).

It is about an hours drive from BW down to Kelowna, so expect a fair bit of driving if you want to do any sightseeing. There are other options like helicopter trips, snowmobling, dog sledding etc though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another option for food shopping is to get it delivered. Which might be helpful if you won't get a chance to shop en route and/or your chalet is on SnowPines as it's a bit more of a walk rom the resort shop than some of the other areas.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy