Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Don't Laugh ok? Need advice on L2A Accessories

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Right, now don't laugh at me ok but . . . I've only ever been skiing in the US where its a bit warmer than the Alps. I'm probably being a bit ignorant/naive but the mention of frostbite in a couple of threads has made me uneasy. We are heading out to L2A on 24th February.

I understand the layering principle and thermals and am fine with all of that. I have a hat but no goggles, I have a scarf and gloves but no "snood". Can anyone tell me some essentials I should take with me in case of -30 wind chill etc.

Are goggles a necessity or will sunglasses do? Anything else I might need? Answers on a post card and please keep the sniggering to a minimum. wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No snigger here!

Personally yes goggles are good. I always wear them anyway as they're easier with the contact lenses. When its cold and windy they help to cover up your face and you will need them if its snowy (which hopefully it will be! Little Angel ). On this same theme I'd also take some sort of face mask/balaclava/fleece neck to cover the rest of the exposed face. I don't take a scarf.

Inner liners for your gloves are good. You've got the layering principle sorted.

You'll be fine! And hopefully won't be that cold! snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I've only ever been skiing in the US where its a bit warmer than the Alps.
I'm not sure that this is true.

Googles are a must. They are generally better than sunnies in poor visibility and are essential in snow, rain ot flying powder.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Leis wrote:
Right, now don't laugh at me ok but . . . I've only ever been skiing in the US where its a bit warmer than the Alps. I'm probably being a bit ignorant/naive but the mention of frostbite in a couple of threads has made me uneasy. We are heading out to L2A on 24th February.

I understand the layering principle and thermals and am fine with all of that. I have a hat but no goggles, I have a scarf and gloves but no "snood". Can anyone tell me some essentials I should take with me in case of -30 wind chill etc.

Are goggles a necessity or will sunglasses do? Anything else I might need? Answers on a post card and please keep the sniggering to a minimum. wink

Certainly it can be cold at this time of year but maybe I've been lucky but I can think of one day in 13 weeks skiing where I felt the conditions were that hostile. Usually you'll be fine in sunnies. take your goggles with you for bad weather days. take a hat and a neck cover. I've ertainly never felt the need to ski in goggles other than on a snowy day, albeit latterly I've skied more in March than January.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dan100, A cold and windy day right at the top of L2A will see you diving in the bag for some goggles.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Leis, Goggles are MANDATORY (well they ought to be). Sunnies are fine when the weather's sweet but when (not if) it gets nasty you will be blind and a hazard to yourself and the people that have to come and find you (or your body)

Pick up a fleece or fine wool full face balaclava from Blacks, Millets or any climbing shop, stick it in your pack and that'll take care of the occasional time you need face protection.

And the Alps are rarely 'that' cold
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
dan100, A cold and windy day right at the top of L2A will see you diving in the bag for some goggles.

Cold and windy day anywhere in the mountains. I tend to ski in Sunnies but have goggles with me either in bag or reversed back round the neck on borderline days. I'm sure its not cold and windy everyday there especially in late Feb. I know easiski is not doubt hardened from her days in Scotland but she tells us alot about wonderful weather as well as bad days.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Leis wrote:
Right, now don't laugh at me ok but . . . I've only ever been skiing in the US where its a bit warmer than the Alps.

I dunno Colorado friends have been reporting some temps that leave me a bit Shocked

(like -20F)

although I always find the windchill the factor that determines my state of coldness...

Goggles a must, balaclava a good idea, forget the scarf - they get caught on stuff - get a neckwarmer/snood thingy you can pull up as needed to cover face below goggles....

The store with the internet access at L2A had some Cool looking balaclavas with windstopper fronts and fine wool backs IIRC.... not cheap but if you cannot locate suitable elsewhere worth thinking about...

inner gloves a good idea....

To quote my friend in Oz (who owns a ski goods store) - when i was in there before trip to Canada and also before coming here.... "Take what you have and if you think you need it buy local stuff to suit the conditions you find"

Not a bad idea (although bad for his business as i did not buy - then again i shop there because he gives sound advice!)

I do have to confess I am contemplating purchase of down jacket BEFORE going hiking in Colorado because i do not fancy my chances of finding a shop near where we pitch the tent!(I FEEL THE COLD)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks guys - firstly for not laughing too much and secondly for the great advice. I WILL invest in goggles (or googles as Frosty the Snowman, states) and a neck warmer before we go. If I need more, I'll support the local businesses up in L2A.

little tiger, I've been skiing in Mammoth at Easter and Lake Tahoe in late Feb and we were almost skiing in our t-shirts. Definitely had the jackets open so I'm a bit apprehensive when I hear Easiski say she had 7 layers on the other day and the boot warmers fired up!!! Either way, I don't care, I just want to be prepared so I can enjoy. I'm an Aussie btw . . . Cool G'day Mate!

Thanks again everyone, much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hey Leis!
as you know i have just come back from LDA, so thought i would chip in to post!
I normally hate goggles - i even treated myself to an extra pair of Diesel sunglasses in Duty Free to swan around in BUT.... even when that sky was blue, the wind up at the top - especially the glacier could be harsh. It would blow icy flakes under the glasses. I bought new Roxy goggles (my others were for men and too big) and lived in them. Actually learned to loved the things !!
Also my chin bled from not wearing my fleecy snood to protect it from my jacket Confused So i would definately suggest some sort of facial protector.
Anyways if its hot and sunny you can always take 'em off and give them to the rucksack carrier to look after !!
Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Leis, hope she doesn't mind me saying this, but for someone who lives in the mountains, easiski is quite sensitive to the cold wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, perhaps, but she spends a lot of her day standing still and probably skiing slower than she would by herself,while teaching others. Not to mention not having enough time between lessons for a cup of coffee.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy