Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weight of skier

Poster: A snowHead
Hope this is right place to ask this - bear with me - we were new to skiing at Christmas and taken by surprise at ski hire shop in resort to be asked our weight - height I understand but wasn't expecting weight - as adults we knew fairly accurately but only a vague idea of our teenage kids weight so we all just guessed really. They learnt to ski fine but I am intrigued to know what difference weight makes - do you get given different skis or is it to do with bindings which maybe do more than provide a slot for boots? My reason for asking is to know if it could have been dangerous at all if we had wildy over or underestimated for kids - thank you and apologies if a daft question
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sally s, not a daft question, the weight is required so the rental shop can set the binding release settings correctly for you, they should ask for your height, weight, age, skier ability and boot sole length. that info is put into a chart which gives the correct release value settings [the numbered scale in the front and back of the binding] too loose and the ski comes off when you don't want it [results in shoulder injuries etc] too tight and the ski won't come off [ knee injuries etc]

do bear in mind that many hire shops do not set up kit like this as it takes a little more time [prehaps a minute] but this mounts up when you are dealing with hundreds of skiers.

there are a few shops using electronic testing devices that feed your info into and they calculate and set the binding release, you recieve a ticket which can be entered back into the machine....... which can tell if you played around with the settings..... including winding the screw by half a turn and winding it back, yep they are that sensitive.

this type of machine will become comonplace over the next few years as more people sue ski shops for injuries caused by binding settings being incorrect.

hope that answers your question Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To add to CEM's answer, weight is also a factor in determining ski length (more than height). While your height will raise your centre of mass, your weight will affect how the ski flexes - a light person carving a turn at 20mph will not flex the ski as much as a heavy person. And at higher speeds and steeper angles, a heavy person will probably go faster.
So heavier people should be on longer/stiffer skis than lighter ones (as a rule of thumb).

...but, CEM's answer is the more important one in terms of safety.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat, I always thought the hire shop gave me longer ski's 'cos they thought I was a better skier than I am! Now your telling me it's 'cos they think I'm a fat b@stard Toofy Grin Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin, it would help if you didn't walk into the pie shop and buy all the pies before asking about ski hire... Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat, It's usually 'cos my pockets are bulging with beer for the ski tech's wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin,
Quote:

It's usually 'cos my pockets are bulging with beer for the ski tech's

I thought you were just pleased to see them. wink Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman, no, but they do seem pleased to see me Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin,
I suppose it gives them a chance to get rid of the longest skis in the shop. Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, I always thought the hire shop gave me longer ski's 'cos they thought I was a better skier than I am! Now your telling me it's 'cos they think I'm a fat b@stard Toofy Grin Very Happy

Ski length is related to weight (primarily), height (higher centre of gravity), skill level (how fast and aggressive you are) and usage (powder v piste etc). Weight and height are usually closely related anyway, but weight (or more correctly mass) is the primary factor as far as the ski is concerned, since it is the weight that the ski is supporting. Faster, more aggressive skiers generate larger turning forces than timid skiers of the same weight. So they generally need a slightly longer, stiffer ski.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Faster, more aggressive skiers generate larger turning forces than timid skiers of the same weight. So they generally need a slightly longer, stiffer ski.

Which is also why there is no point in a non-aggressive skier using a ski that is aimed too far above their ability level - for example, a slow timid skier on a very stiff race ski won't be generating enough turning force to turn the ski and will not have a relaxing time learning.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
petemillis wrote:
Quote:
Faster, more aggressive skiers generate larger turning forces than timid skiers of the same weight. So they generally need a slightly longer, stiffer ski.

Which is also why there is no point in a non-aggressive skier using a ski that is aimed too far above their ability level - for example, a slow timid skier on a very stiff race ski won't be generating enough turning force to turn the ski and will not have a relaxing time learning.

Unless they're a huge fat b*@~#d of course Wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sally s, the third part Wink of the answer is that it allows them to select the proper flex in boots, particularly relevant in junior boots.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks guys - I did have a feeling it would be a complex reason and hadn't picked up that if you fell your skis might fall off or not according to how your bindings were set nor that boots could flex - it is a whole new world of technie stuff to get to grips with isn't it although I guess in practice you just turn up tell them your size and off you go - at my level anyway. See you all in a few years for advice on which skis to buy! wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sally s, I can tell you and I are going to get on well together here - that could almost be one of my posts!! snowHead's now you've two of us!!
ski holidays
sally s As this seems a good place to add it I hope you will not mind me adding a follow up question:

In preparation for quick service at the hire shop at half term I sent my height and weight to them just after Christmas. Since then I have managed to lose 4-5 Kg (and am quite pleased with myself). The thing is, how sensitive are these binding settings - would this sort of difference be sufficient to change the settings and therefore should I let the shop know?
snow report
Megamum,
Run your weight loss by the rental shop when you pick them up, that way if you have a problem, you've informed them.
Mind you after your first cheese fondue, the 5kg will probably go straight back on. wink Laughing
snow report
A change in weight will be enough to change your DIN setting by about 0.5 to 1.0 on the scale, so the answer is yes that it probably will make a difference.

I would be very surprised if they still have your details by the time that you get there... Puzzled
snow conditions
Spyderman,
Quote:

Mind you after your first cheese fondue, the 5kg will probably go straight back on.

Tell me about it.....................! Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
Megamum
Megamum wrote:
sally s, I can tell you and I are going to get on well together here - that could almost be one of my posts!! snowHead's now you've two of us!!

pleased to meet you! I take it by your signature you are fairly new to this game too? Have been deliberating on a signature along the lines of 'why did no one make me go skiing years ago' or 'all those wasted winters'!
Seriously snowhead guys - you have all been such a goldmine of useful info since I joined the secret society of 'the obsessed' and only here can I share the desperation for that next fix! (which I calculate to be approx 3 pm on 18th Feb!)

Back to the subject of weight and bindings - I did fall over several times during my first week - surprise surprise - not at great speed though - should the skis have just come off then - they didn't - is it only on impact at speed?
latest report
sally s, slow twisting falls are the biggest cause of injuries, like the seatbelts and airbags in your car the bindings minimise the risk of injury...they don't however stop you from crashing the car

if the fall is at very slow speed, there may well be many times that the ski will not release, if you do this repeatedly then it may well be worth taking the skis back to the shop and having the settings lowered a touch [it won't take much more than a twist of the screwdriver but let the shop check them, they are after all their skis]
hope that helps Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy