Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tremblant......?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi to all you skiers, hope you dont mind a newbie Smile

We ......well 2 couples are looking at Tremblant for next Feb, non of us have skied before......well I have had a couple of lessons in the UK on something that resembled my front door mat Laughing Still I loved it and persuded the others that this skiing lark looks like a bit of a laugh.

You might ask why Tremblant, well after a TV prog we saw it looks like its just up our street and I like what looks like long learner runs.

We understand its going to be darn cold -15 Shocked , but we are struggling to find real reviews on actual hotels/accom... in the resort.
So I am hoping you peeps can help us out with reviews or point me in the right direction.

Too assist our ages range from 30-34-37-50 , no kids and we would prefer a no kids enviroment, but understand that Tremblant is quite kiddyfied.
Also should be book lessons here or there ???....again should we get our lift passes in the UK or when we arrive ????

Sorry theres loads of questions but this is a totally new thing for us, yeah I know you cant believe there are people who are in there 30's+ who have never skied.....but hey we have to start somewhere Laughing Laughing

Many thanks for any ski type info for us newbies

Cheers Fur
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Fur, and welcome to snowHeads. Sorry, I've never been to Tremblant so can't advise you. I just wonder why you want to go somewhere so far, and so cold, if most of you have never skied before and may not like it. There's a lot of standing around when you're first learning and it's a lot more fun if it's warm and sunny. Just my opinion - but for a first time, I'd go to Europe. In March. But if you're set on Tremblant no doubt there are people here to give you good advice snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Furbag and welcome to snowHeads snowHead
I've not been there either but Tremblant is in the snowBase here.
I think there were >20 referances found in the snowHeads forums (when u click the name) and there'll be a link to their website too.

Sorry I can't giver u anything first hand.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
maggi, at Tremblant or anywhere in Quebec in February, part of the first lesson from any instructor is to always stop in the sunshine. Wink

Furbag, -15 is an average. It can go either way from there, and -25c or 10c are not unknown. IF any of you are still considering gear purchase, Canadian clothing brands like Phenix and Karbon tend to be warmer.

Keep an eye on the calendar page for adult/senior ski week (they have such things) or email the resort directly if you need to book soon.

I don't know if anyone has posted the Tremblant Insider pages yet (apologies for repeats). I agree with him on two of the reviews and I'm inclined to believe him on the others. There is an online chat forum, too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Furbag and welcome! snowHead It's never too late to start skiing, I started in my 30s & M Coins in his 40s (just!). I would repeat what others have said about skiing in the cold, especially when you're learning to ski and are standing round in groups - it can be soul destroying! I would recommend early March and somewhere in Austria for nice easy friendly skiing...... save Tremblant for when you can ski fast Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi - I'm sure I've read a long thread about Tremblant before but this was all i could find - so maybe it was in the dark ages when we were on the SkiClub site!
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=697&highlight=tremblant

The gist of what I remember was that Eastern Canada is ok - if you need a fix of skiing. But conditions can be cold and icy - not ideal if you are new to the sport as these are the sort of things that may put you off this fantastic sport! If you want to go over the atlantic for your first holiday - its maybe worth considering going a little further to the western side.
Either way - hope you have a fantastic 1st holiday and welcome to this place - you should find lots of helpful info!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi peeps

Well thankyou for the warm welcome.

OK so where am I going wrong Puzzled I had hoped to get lots of info and goodies here but todate no one here seems to have been there, I can see it being a bit pricey compared to say europe, but from what I have managed to find so far it looks just what we are after. It just seems to lack real peoples reviews. Which is what I always find the most truthful, this worries me a little Sad
I did do what I thought was a pretty good search of this forum and didnt come up with much.

OK its truth time now Shocked........ why Tremblant eh ......well its cos we are not good travellers into foreign lands with wacky languages and odd food.......yeah I know its sad but we do feel that at least in Tremblant they speak our language and we dont have to worry about what we are going to be munching on and can get on with the skiing.
Perhaps we are totally mad and very sad Embarassed

We are still open to any suggestions from you peeps as we have not yet booked anything but we really dont want to have to que for lifts or struggle with foreign tutors who we cant understand.

If you still dont mind helping a bunch of holiday scaredy cat numpties after reading this lot I would be grateful Laughing

Fur
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Eh, Furbag, entire pages of reviews and comments by other than Intrawest media hirelings including an online discussion forum aren't sufficient?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Furbag wrote:
but we do feel that at least in Tremblant they speak our language

...... reluctantly!!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Furbag, I think the reason why not many people in the UK visit Tremblant is that it may look pretty (I too watched that holiday prog Very Happy ) but, as said above, it can be VERY cold and very icy - it really isn't much fun skiing on ice, especially when you're learning and especially when you're very cold. And to travel that distance and pay all that money people primarily want to have fun and enjoy themselves. If you really want to travel to N America where English is spoken you may be better trying Whistler or Banff. Take a look at the links comprex has kindly provided and search on this forum for Banff and Whistler, both of which have quite long threads.

Enjoy yourselves wherever you end up going and I hope you end up getting hooked on skiing snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Morning all,

Sorry comprex, I did go to the link but on the laptop and the font they use didnt make for easy reading so dumped it rather quick, have since gone back and ( on a 21" ) found it a lot better and informative, cheers Smile

PG : funny after I sent it, my wife said I think they speak french over there as well, DOH Embarassed , had a root about and.....oh yes the Tremblant site can run in either language , oh no WHAT NOW Puzzled

Cathy Coins : Ah that TV prog mmmmmm the more I hear from you peeps the more I wonder if we are going in totally the wrong direction ahhhhhhhhh.
All I want is to play in the snow with lumps of wood on my feet Laughing
I have glanced at whistler and have friends that go there but it seems that its a posers paradise and even more pricey than T , Banff is not one I have taken a peep at yet so thats next on the list.

Another spanner in the works is that its only us blokes that want to play in the snow really the girlies want to do snowmobile stuff and sledging with woof woofs etc etc and I suppose thats why we sort of ended up with T as our starting point as they seemed to offer all that sort of stuff. May be I have totally got the wrong end of the stick Puzzled

Changing the subject somewhat:-
So if we aimed ourselves into europe where would be good around the 16th of FEb 10days next year, A nice hotel is a must as some of us are a bit long in the tooth for all this 10 in a chalet lark and sharing kitchens with the other 40 in the building, which is what our younger friends all seem to do, We like our luxuries Razz also we really like the door step skiing idea as well, none of this catching a coach/mini bus lark.

Dont ask for much do we eh Laughing

Cheers all again and thanks for carrying on helping the numpties out

Fur
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fur,
Banff was the first place I ever skied. A little on the chilly side late Jan/Early feb, so if I went there again I'd go a bit later say end of feb/start of March.
The reason for going there at the time was primarily financial, it was much cheaper to go for 10 days in Banff than 7 days in any of the major European resorts. Also I'd heard a rumour that Canadian Skiing was pretty good.
The ski school is good (despite our 18 year old instructor doing his best to be Eminem), the locals are friendly, and everything is v. cheap. But I guess if you want to avoid the bus then it may not be the place for you, though to be honest I didn't really find it much of a problem - not great for breaking up the Apres, but getting on the bus first thing and watching the sun come up over the rockies is pretty impressive - also the bus there isn't like your local UK bus service, it is a bit of military operation, it turns up at your hotel (if you pick one of the ones it stops at) bang on time, is very regular, and if it's full a bloke with a radio calls another one which turns up straight away.

Since then I've been lucky enough to ski some major European resorts, a few in the US, and quite a few times in Whistler. I'd rate whistler as the number 1 (as you may have noticed if you've done a search), but as beginners you may not agree, and it is definitely more expensive than Banff (though still relatively cheap compared to Val Despair or 3 vallees). The reason I say it may not be ideal is that the beginner slopes are lower down and the weather can be indifferent, and you probably wont get to appreciate most of the fantastic skiing there. The ski school there is however top notch, and there is (despite the rather odd advice in the SCGB bumpf) loads of slopeside accomodation and a great Village for bars/restaurants.

If you go to Europe, check your dates for half term dates and European holidays as you could find those dates being pretty busy and expensive (especially if you want ski in/out).

Personally I think I'd avoid the east coast US/Canada for a first trip because of the above mentioned icyness and cold (it's nice to have something soft to fall on!! snowHead )

In summary if you want the snowmobile thing(which incidently is fantastic fun), the dog thing (which is very cold and not as much fun as a snowmobile, though my wife liked it better), plus you don't want it too cold, if you can leave with the long flight (9 or 10 hours) I'd go to Western Canada somewhere. Not sure what the other resorts there are like (Sun Peaks, Big White, Silver Star, Panorama, Fernie, Kimberly, etc - I'm sure someone else here will know), but Whistler and Banff are both very good and do have the snowmobile/dog-sledding/ice hockey/soft snow/cheap price/friendly people/good ski school thing snowHead

(PS I'm not Canadian and I don't work for the Canadian tourist board, even if it does seem like it!! Madeye-Smiley )

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 10-09-04 17:35; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fur - from what you're saying I'd recommend Banff (having been there last year!) for the skiing, the ski school and the quantity of non-ski activities you can do! The only drawback is it isn't ski-in ski-out but that does then mean it's better for non-skiing members of your party. The thread on Banff can be found here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=103

16th Feb sounds very half-termish - to be avoided at all costs unless you are forced to take your hols then snowHead And a good possibility of it being cold, try the beginning of March for warmer weather, less people and cheaper hols
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Furbag,

The best reason for going to Canada for a first skiing experience is the quality of instruction. It's in your own language and it's good. The other good reasons are quality of accomodation and value for money. (I learnt to ski in the US, in middle age, and have been back to Canada and the US ever since).

I'd echo stuarth in recommending Western Canada rather than Quebec, though obviously the journey is longer. I'm a big fan of Banff, and the "Club Ski" instructional programme is excellent. After 10 days (and you don't want to go that far for a shorter time) you should be able to get around a lot of the area. Snow quality is also likely to be better than in the East.

Mid Feb. Well it can be cold, but you're more likely to experience extremes of cold in Quebec than in BC/Alberta (although Banff can be cold too). Whistler is likely to have the mildest temperatures since it's in a coastal area (but you'll get rain at the base).

You might consider going later in the year. March is likely to provide warmer temperatures and lower prices, and if you don't have kids, then you shouldn't be tied down to half-term (unless you're all teachers), so you'll be able to avoid the mass of Brits on the slopes.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Er, Furbag - I think you'll find that Quebec fiercely defends it's French heritage and will be predominantly French speaking. Although,as in all tourist resorts English will be spoken. It is kinda polite to be able to say at least 'Bonjour' or 'Comment allez-vouz?'. Or maybe 'Wie gehen Sie' or 'Guten Tag.' !!!!!!!!!!
latest report
erica2004, Perhaps not quite as bad as a Brit trying to speak French to an inhabitant of Flanders, but not far short!
snow conditions
Furbag, my sister-in-law wnet with the kids , had a great time, but then, they aren't really seriuos skiers, they like loads of other distractions, pools, ice-rinks, as one of the kids isn't keen on the snowsports!!! It was also extremely cold, definitely more than Banff .
latest report
PG - too right! I have a sister who lives in Brussels and I once gave my dinner order in French, in a Flemish part of town.

PG - try Austria - the natives aren't as snooty about their language as the French. In fact when I've tried to speak German there, I have been told 'We haven't time for that, just ask in English.' !!
snow conditions
Well are now in comms with the guy on the Tremblant insider site and todate he seems to be putting our mind at rest regarding the cold ( well a little Laughing )

I have discussed the cold with the other couple and they seem to be happy about it, they even said "hey well if we are going somewhere cold , it might as well be real cold"

So as darft as we might seem it looks like Tremblant is on , not that we have not appreciated your advice and atleast we really know now that its going to be DARN COLD snowHead
Having said that the insider has said to us it should be warming up by the time we get there and that us learners should get some good snow. He also said Banff is a little steep for learners and Whistler can be wet and slushy, then again he could be pulling the snow over our eyes snowHead

So game on for Tremblant ( will review it when we get back for other newbies)

If any of you peeps are interested, pop over to the kit forum.......cos youve guessed it I am in there as well cos we really dont know what we need and where to get it from Puzzled Puzzled

Regards

Fur
ski holidays
Furbag, you'll get used to the cold by the third day or you won't get used to it at all. Just never, ever, drink anything out of a can outdoors.
latest report
Oh dear , we have now come up against a brick wall regarding booking, ie its all booked up Sad

Anyone got a good place to book this sort of trip, we where going with Inghams which looked like a good deal but they havent got anything left on our dates.

All the others we have looked at seem to be another 200 quid more Shocked Shocked Suppose thats why they get booked early .

Fur
ski holidays
Furbag, if Tremblant is booked up, have you considered Wengen? (or La Rosiere, or Les Arcs via Bourg St Maurice?). Rumour has it that they're worth a visit!!
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, I thought you had decided that Wengen was not the answer Confused
latest report
Furbag, I'll be over there next year, what dates are you thinking about?
latest report
marc gledhill, we are looking at 16th feb 2005

D G Orf, re your comment on the equip forum how do I pm you ?? sorry to be a thicky but normally theres a PM button somewhere but I am damed if I can find it Puzzled
ski holidays
Furbag, I've sent you a PM with my email adress in it, look under the snowheads logo at the top of the page and you will find the send/read Private Message function
latest report
Furbag, I think we're there 11th/18th Feb, but I'll check that.
snow conditions
Hi every one , a blast from the past , well since the 22nd of sept Smile took a while to find the thread again.

A update for all , we have booked our selves 7 days in Tremblant mid Feb,

OH MY GOD Shocked Shocked Shocked

Slight change of plans , the other couple cannot go so its just myself and my wife.

Booked with Inghams in the end and we are staying at Tours des Voyageurs and have booked a 3 day learn to kill yourself package Laughing

Currently our kit level stands at coat and trouser thingys , and the regulation silly hat each , we have got some thermal stuff but still need more I feel. Luckly my wife has built in insulation Laughing

Still need goggle things , but again its all so baffling , and check out those prices !!!! I really dont understand the difference between the 39.99 ones and the 120 quid ones , and i recon the 39.99 ones are price, or am I just tight. Gloves and socks I feel need to be the best. I get cold in the UK so god knows what I am going to be like out there Shocked

Fur
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Furbag, as you say gloves and socks are important, because you only usually wear one pair of each, goggles get double lens ones to help prevent fogging 40 to 50 quid should be more than enough for a good pair 120 is just stupid. don;t forget with ski clothing think in layers rather than one really insulated jacket a shell plus a fleece plus polo neck plus thermals will be far more practicle
snow report
Furbag,
I too am new to this forum and I am from the States. I have been to Tremblant and am returning next week. I have skied all over the western US and western Canada. I am going to Tremblant because I am taking my son who doesn't like long flights and we are just going for a quick weekend. The lodging is quite nice as it is a pedestrian village. There are several bars/restaurants and shops. It is very french although everyone speaks english as well. The skiing can be cold but hey, it's winter. Dress in thin layers and you'll be fine. The runs are nice and it is relatively scenic although nothing like the Canadian Rockies. There is also a little movie theater in the village and loads of activities if you choose to skip some ski time. The people are quite friendly and the conditions aren't that bad. While they don't get a lot of snow, that is a good thing for beginners. The grooming is good and the conditions will be fine. I will try to let you know other info as soon as I get back. We are leaving Friday and returning Monday. By the way, I am also going there because my son hasn't skiied before either. Good Luck. Jerry
ski holidays
D G Orf, Hi again , thanks for the BOGOF ticket tip for the ski show , shame we didnt get a chance to meet up , my fault for forgetting to take your number Embarassed
Thanks for the clothing tips , this skiing larks getting quite expensive !!!!

Hopefully on our return I will be able to post a full report to bore everyone with and help others .

miserbank0312, Please check your PM as I have asked a bit of a favour , hope you dont mind Embarassed
snow report
Furbag, I will provide you with loads of info upon my return next monday. First, I have to figure out how to PM as I am new to this forum. Any help guys? Smile thanks. Jerry
snow report
miserbank0312, use the send/read messages tag at the top of the page, when you send a message you get an option to search for a users name to send it to or you can reply to an existing message using the reply function
ski holidays
We own a place is Tremblant and obviously have been there a gazillion times. The
Tour de Voyageur which you booked is right in the middle of the pedestrian village. You
can pretty much ski in, ski out. Yes is can be cold, right now it is very cold -20, but by mid-feb
it should be warmer avg -6 to -10. Mid-Feb is a big American Holiday (Presidents Week) so
there will be a lot of Yanks there and quite busy. Snow right now is pretty good and should be
better by mid Feb, but like most east NA resorts Tremlant is not at high altitude and rain is not
out of the question at any time. There is a lot of other stuff to do there, and the village of St. Jovite
(about 10km's drive) has a lot of good restaurants - better food and cheaper than in the Mountain
Village. Its a very good resort by eastern NA standards, but not huge like the West of Alps, but for
a beginner it will be enough. Have fun.

Sawni
ski holidays
Hi sawni and a welcome to snowHeads from across the water snowHead
snow report
sawni, Hi and welcome snowHead

I'm out in Tremblant from the 9th February to the 16th, when is Presidents Day?
snow report
We (2 adults + 3 kids) went to Tremblant in Feb 2002. The kids loved it, especially the maple syrup with everything breakfasts at Jacques(?), despite it being perishingly cold (-27C at the bottom, colder at the top + wind chill wasn't uncommon). I would say that face masks are essential (we took them "in case" and wore them all the time and the kids used their hand warmer packs every day. The resort is owned by Intrawest and it is a bit reminiscent of the Prisoner or West World. I wouldn't be surprised if the lift attendants were robots (especially the ZZ Top look alikes) and the shops/restaurants seemed to sell remarkably similar lines. Having said all of that.... the journey from the UK was very pleasant (Air Canada), the transfer was short (< 2 hours) and painless, the food was good, the snow was good/guaranteed, the ski instructors (for the kids) were terrific and very safety conscious eg in poor conditions they would merge some classes with one of the instructors skiing at the back of the line to make sure nobody got lost/into trouble and there was a very nice atmosphere about the place at night.

(One tip. There is only a small hut in the village selling essentials like shampoo - oh alright then, wine & cheese. The shops are a short bus journey away. On the way from the airport the bus driver might stop at a supermarket and I would take advantage of this to make you don't run out of any "essentials", at least during the first couple of days.)

The only negative about our trip was the return journey where Heathrow was foggy and hence stacking the planes for longer. The Air Canada plane didn't have enough fuel for this and had to land a Paris. By the time we were cleared from Paris, the crew had gone beyond their duty time and we eventually landed at Heathrow at midnight rather than 8 in the morning. Maybe BA would be a better option after all.
snow report
jtr, thank you for that. Did you use face masks for the kids too? Ours are seven and two, so I'm not sure where to find their sizes.

My wife got a facemask for Christmas snowHead but I was planning to pull my buff up a bit. Is that a good idea or should I get myself a face mask too?
snow report
The kids wore masks, helmets, goggles and neck warmers/balaclavas (mitts are also a good idea). We bought the skis masks at an Outdoors shop (not Ellis Brigham) near the Snow Dome at Milton Keynes. In any case, the shops in Tremblant sell them. Our youngest was 8 at the time and an XS fitted him. The ski school is very well organised and has a huge heated marquee for the kids' lunch which they also use as a refuge if it gets too cold. Our first day was windless & overcast and I survived without a mask. The next day was a blue ski/-27C at the bottom/colder at the top type. I skied about 100 metres before I had to stop and get the face mask on (I thought my skin was going to crack) and I used it for the next 8 days. I know it sounds a bit of an ordeal but we did enjoy it and as long as you're prepared for the extreme cold it is a good place to ski.
ski holidays
Thanks for the welcome, President's Day is actually Feb. 21st but both that week and the week before will be
busy at Tremblant. I would definitely suggest a face mask, but you can get it there.
We are actually going to France in mid-March, never having skied in Europe before, we are thinking of
going to Meribel-Trois Valleys Area. We are actually going to be there for about 11 days, wouldn't mind
staying at two different villages. Any recommendations? Are catered chalets the way to go? Will anybody
to a 7 day and 4 day stay. We were going to drive from Lyon to Meribel, is that a good idea? Also, a big
nordic skier what are the tracks like?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy