Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me out of my dilemma - does size matter?

Poster: A snowHead
I intend to buy my wife a pair of K2 burnin luvs. She is 5'7,, and 12 stone (76 kg). All the advice tells me to get 160's. My wife would be happier to buy 153's. She is technically good as a skier but not particularly aggressive. She would never go flat out whatever the conditions! Should she go with her instinct and get the 153's or follow professional advice?. She hired Solomen scream 155's last year hence why she prefers the shorter ski's. Help???

Nigel
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
npofeaton, my partner Deb is 5'6"/62kg & loves her 160cm Burnin Luvs. Fellow snowHead RachelQ is a similar build & also skis beautifully on her 160's - even though she actually thought they were 167's wink.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd agree, go for 160. The ski will work better considering your wife's height & weight.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
npofeaton, Professional guidance from the spyder people not-withstanding, how about a piece of advice about a ladies psyche about this.

If your other half has set her heart on the short ski's and has a 'down' on longer ones, then for petes sake buy her the short ones! There is nothing I hate more than to have my heart set on something and then find that DH has gone and bought the 'wrong' thing even if he thinks it is better - I never settle with the item, and in the finish usually find some way of buying the one I wanted, regardless of whether I can return the old one or not (ladies I'm looking for some back up here - am I alone in thinking this way). Ski's are not cheap - I'm sure you won't want two pairs kicking round in the finish esp. as she will likely only ever use her choice. Far better would be to finance the deal, but let her pick the ones she wants.

It may not be skiing nouse, but I am a woman!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get her the long ones but don't tell her. I'm sure the extra 7cm will be a pleasant surprise.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
petemillis, Most women carry a tape measure in their handbag - you never know when it will come in handy for proving the 'actual' length of something wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
npofeaton, I think the 160's my be too short! My wife is 5' 5" and 56kgs and skis on K2's 162cms.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Im 5' and have 154cm Burning Luv's
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, Very Happy My wife always has a tape measure in her handbag, it is surprising how many times it has come in useful Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
npofeaton, Viz Top Tip - Buy her the 160's, then scratch the 160cm bit off with a metal nail file and paint 153cm on the ski's using a waterproof marker pen. That way she'll ski better as she's on the right size ski's but will be psychologically comfortable thinking she's on nice short ski's!!! You may have to "doctor" her tape measure too, to be on the safe side and make sure you don't get caught out.... wink wink wink Very Happy Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just a quick note - In the US a couple of weeks ago I tried the Burnin' Luv. The way of measuring these skis has changed between 2006 and 2007 models. So a current 160 was last years 154.
If I told my husband which length of ski I preferred, I'd sure be mad as hell if he bought me something different! I'm 5'6" 59kg and I liked the154s.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
erica2004, are you sure about the measuring? Last year's 154 was about 154cm long from tip to tail. I haven't measured this years ones, but I would doubt that K2 made a 6cm change in them - are you sure it wasn't the shop just trying to get you onto the pair they had?
(I could well be wrong)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If she never goes flat out she won't miss the stability the longer length would give her, so go shorter if that is what she is more comfortable with. She will find the shorter ski easier to turn, easier to master, and her greater confidence will make her a better skier. Picking ski length isn't all about height and weight.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I always do as much research as possible on such matters and would never contradict any of my ladies' spoken desires vis a vis upcoming gifts. In this instance I would try to convince her to try a pair of 160s and then she will say I told you I didn't like them and you save yourself £500+ also she goes away double happy as not only does she have the skis she wanted all along but she proved you wrong in the process.

Perversely you can be happy too (quietly or in the pub) because you knew she would do that, you have been considerate and loving, and you have saved money and almost certainly in the future you will hear her say how much she wishes she had bought the 160s.

wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
erica2004,
Quote:

If I told my husband which length of ski I preferred, I'd sure be mad as hell if he bought me something different!

That's what I feel - thanks for the back-up Smile
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Sure. For 2007 skis (in Winter Park last week) K2 are measuring just the flat part of the ski (not tip to tail), so 154cm ski is really 160cm. I know it sounds daft but I actually saw 2006 hire ski (154) and 2007 ski (154) and they were different lengths - both marked 154. It was the same with the 'recons' my husband was looking at as well. I'm curious if this is the case in Europe, in case I want to buy a pair.
snow conditions
erica2004, it will be the same in Europe, they all come out of the same Chinese factory. Hadn't heard anything about it, but I'll see what I can find out...
snow conditions
Why not hire for a day and let her choose?
ski holidays
npofeaton,

Think which skis you would like for yourself. Buy them and give them to the wife. When she tries them and does not like them then moan and groan a bit saying rather than wasting money you will use this pair and go and buy her the short Burnin'Luvs.

She ends up happy and you get a new pair of skis - Result! Twisted Evil
snow report
npofeaton, I'm 5'9" and weigh 72kg (and I'm female) and I ski on K2TrueLuvs bought last year, 153's. These are the softer version of the Burnin' Luvs which I tried but found too stiff - the Trueluvs are my "old lady" skis. Okay I'm 52, but I'm a reasonably advanced intermediate, I ski fast and quite aggressively. They are the best skis I've ever had and I swear they have cruise control. I used to ski on 210's (many years ago) and have got progressively shorter. You'd think, at my height and weight these would be a nightmare, but they are fab and for the first time ever I can get to grips with moguls. It took a lot of persuasion to get me to go this short but I wouldn't give them up now.
But this is of course irrelevant. Megamum is bang on and, if my husband bought me the longer ones I didn't want he might have to look somewhere painful to find the excess few centimetres.
By the way, if she's not an aggressive skier, might she not be better off with something softer? Might I ask why you have decided you want to get her these? Now I have to make a horrible admission here - when I first saw the Burnin' Luvs I wanted 'em. Yes we do get carried away by the look of them. My TrueLuvs look really wimpy in comparison, and I was sorely tempted by Head's Hot Thang cos they looked good, but I didn't get a chance to test them.

We women may be superficial but it's a profound superficiality....

Incidentally, Kaiser, are you a govenment minister?
snow conditions
scream,
Quote:
We women may be superficial but it's a profound superficiality....

I don't think it's just you wimmin what is superficial. I'm sure one of the biggest deciding factors for 95% of blokes when it comes to skis is what they look like! I was tempted to buy a new pair of 1080 Foils but they look a bit poofy so I didn't. I liked the look of last year's ones but the shop weren't discounting them enough. In the end I bought myself some nice orange and black skis that are a perfect match for my boots!
snow conditions
petemillis, you sound like a bumble bee.....

Very tasteful I'm sure.
ski holidays
npofeaton, I think WTFH is on the right track here, buy the 160cms and tell her the contact length is only 152cm! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

Incidentally, Kaiser, are you a govenment minister?

Actually no, and none of my friends think I would make a nice one to live under hence the name.

Why do you ask?
latest report
scream, The thing really is that the guy wants to buy her a macho present and boast about to his mates over a beer. He'd be much more appreciated if he bought her a bunch of flowers and some lingerie from Agent Provocoteur and..............let her choose her own skis. Toofy Grin He's going to end up buying the wrong size anyway. I agree with you about their suitability for a 'non-aggressive' skier. I got the best out of these skis when I was skiing hard and fast.
P.S. I saw a kiddie with a pair of K2 skis - they were called 'Luv Bug' Smile
latest report
erica2004, maybe he wants her to be more stable and confident at slightly higher speeds more than he wants to be appreciated for simple purchasing power? Little Angel

In fact, here is a similar success story:

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=51281
snow conditions
comprex,

She is an adult and we presume she has a brain... and regular mental faculties not some nasty disease...

What is it that makes HER unable to test a couple of different lengths of ski and decide what SHE would prefer to ski on?
What is with the control thing with some men?

If he is so keen for HER to be more confident why does he not buy HER a set of lessons with a decent instructor and let HER buy her own damn skis! (oh and ski with HER rather than have HER ski with HIM after the lessons)

Why is it necessary for HIM to decide what speed SHE should ski at?

etc etc etc etc...

We are not talking about a friggin 5 year old and whether they wish to eat their vegetables FFS!!
snow report
Looks like the chaps are failing "Ladies 101" Laughing npofeaton, get the 153's!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
npofeaton, Nigel, you seem to have started a war and yet have no comment on all the good advice you've been given!
I'm sure Little Tiger's advice is spot on - sort her out with some lessons with a good instructor to boost her confidence. The instructor will be able to assess her and chat with her about what she wants to do, and is better placed that anyone else here to advise her on suitable ski purchase.
snow report
little tiger, perhaps he's learnt from experience that his SO can't ever make a decision? Like most women.......

Ducks and runs
latest report
petemillis, sound advice, but of course the final decision should be our lady's own and hers alone. Not something that she is talked into to to please her other half. Several on here have concurred with that - I might know diddly squat about skiing compared with the majority of folk here, but I sure as hell know what a woman wants - and that, unfortunately for most men, is often Her Own Way Razz

scream, Probably the only time on snowHead 's that I'm likely to be told I'm 'Bang on' Cool

little tiger, Abso-bally-lutely Bang on!! Very Happy
snow report
Let her buy her own skis, and make her own choice. Then it will be her mistake (or not!). If she's a cautious skier though, she'd be better off with an entirely different pair of skis.

Wear The Fox Hat, erica2004, I had this years MissDemeanors for 3 days, in 160cm length. As I am 155 cm, there is no way the ski was only measured as the flat part,and not tip to tail, as it was only just over the top of my head.
snow conditions
We have read all the comments with interest - it really is not a control thing but I guess you won't believe that. I just want her to be really comfortable on what she chooses...... Anyway her decision is to compromosise on the length and go for 158's...... Rossi B2 W Razz's. I'd sure appreciate a veiw on her decision. I really have not made it for her! honest! Razz

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 31-01-07 21:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
npofeaton, I am pleased to see the use of the word 'we', providing your other half has been able to make her own choice that's all I was trying to encourage. At the risk of sounding patronising (which I assure you I'm not trying to be) good for you for being 'big enough' to see her point of view. All 'real' men please take note!!
snow report
My wife is 5ft 7" and was skiing on 160's. She has just bought a set of Dynastar 153's (she was looking at the Burnin Luv as well) and gets on much better with the shorter skis
ski holidays
little tiger wrote:

What is it that makes HER unable to test a couple of different lengths of ski and decide what SHE would prefer to ski on?

Preconceptions. It has -nothing- to do with gender, it is a mere coincidence. There have been -plenty- of threads on here by females asking for advo on what to buy DH.

I have preconceptions of what I like and it took intense persuasion by the demo guy to get me to try a cross ski in 163cm, for instance.
snow conditions
comprex, I bought my OH his skis for Christmas, but only because I knew what he wanted.
snow conditions
On balance, for skis, shorter is better.

Easier to control.
ski holidays
Whitegold, On balance, perhaps we should all get snowblades then Laughing
snow report
erica2004 wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, Sure. For 2007 skis (in Winter Park last week) K2 are measuring just the flat part of the ski (not tip to tail), so 154cm ski is really 160cm. I know it sounds daft but I actually saw 2006 hire ski (154) and 2007 ski (154) and they were different lengths - both marked 154. It was the same with the 'recons' my husband was looking at as well. I'm curious if this is the case in Europe, in case I want to buy a pair.

Just for the record, they are measuring them differently. Last year I tested the One Luv (slightly softer than the Burnin' but then I'm only 8.5 stone with no muscles and I found them hard work) but didn't buy them because they had purple flowers on and they made me feel ill. They were 160s - up to my nose.

Last week I went to Andorra and bought this year's. I asked for 160s and they were huge Shocked . The guy in the shop then gave me 153s and suggested they would be better. I couldn't believe the sizing but they were marked 153 on the ski. They were up to my nose. The same size as my old skis - which were 160 too. I was confused but as the guy said, stop looking at the numbers!

Incidently, I don't know about the Burnin' but the One Luv have very curved tails, almost like a twin tip. As I realised when I played "chase the gondula" frantically trying to get a pair of them into the slot. It was impossible. They need a slot each Shocked . Good job it wasn't too busy!

Oh, and I'm 5' 6" so I would say she was right with the 153s.
L
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy