Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Board Size

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Had a read of the sticky first. Great info BTW Masque.

Off for my 3rd week boarding and had little idea to what size board I should be hiring - I know now I think. However, does weight come into the equation? I'm 5'10" and 85kg so does the board length need to be adjusted up/down to take this into account or is it a question of personal preference or should I go on a diet Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weight on a board has its greatest effect when riding powder. Too much and you'll sink. Also what is your style of riding, all mountain or manly in the park?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mainly.....sorry!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hunsbury, You've nothing to worry about, height and weight are in the well inside the 'average' bell curve. If all your riding is staying on-piste then anything between 155 to 165.
Size really isn't that big an issue. Small and narrow with deep sidecut . . . fast turning and hard carving. . . longer and fatter, more effort and slower turns . . . short and blunt, hop skip, jump and bleed.

Unless you have a specific goal, i.e. speed carving, slalom, powder or park . . . then just ride whatever comes to hand. More important is condition with good edges, reasonable quality bindings that don't slip in the ratchets and a proper set-up for your stance and hip width.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque,

Goal at the moment is to improve the technique to ride regular and switch to be able to cruise the piste with the odd venture off the side to build confidence in something deeper. I guess carved linked turns and, something I must work on, keeping going on the straight blues and greens without catching and edge and having to walk! Bah! Being over 50 I think the snow park might be a bit too far but who knows. snowHead

Philip Prior

manly in the (snow) park's good! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hunsbury, You're not the only one over 50 wink I'm a 'little' heavier and shorter than you, favourite board is a 157 Bataleon Hero (hideously stiff and I can't ollie t'booger) but carves on a rail and floats nicely in EU powder (not as light as the US stuff).
But I also ride a motley collection of ancient (inc. a couple of one-offs) that are completely worthless and range from 151 to 165 . . . but they all have good edges and decent base prep. Just make sure that whatever your hire is waxed, the bindings work and are set up for your stance and bootsize. There's an awful lot of bolux talked about board size, you should be able to ride anything and adapt your technique to suit. It's only when you have a specific need for a particular board or state of tune should you have any concerns.

My local cheapo £ warehouse has adjustable walking poles for £5, worth sticking one in your pack for those odd times when you need a push on the flats.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque, hunsbury has raised a point I'm a bit freaked about.

I bought a 166 board being 6' 3" and 83kg (flucuating depending on beer intake) but I just found it hard to turn regardless of my binding angle and position on the board. Even for tall/heavy (or both) folk, would a slightly shorter board be much better to learn turning on that the 'reccomended' size?

I know this is one of those questions that's impossible to answer 100 per cent accurately, but your wisdom would be most appreciated.... Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Specialman, wisdom? I wouldn't admit to that Confused

6'3" eh, what's your inside leg? If you have a long torso and short legs it would make things a bit more difficult, especially as the stance width binding plugs on the board will be wide making your stance difficult to move your mass around the board. Long boards are slower to turn than short . . . at least the ones I've ridden are. Try exaggerating your body language, we often think we're putting more effort into riding than we really are. Alternatively, hire a shorter board and see how it feels and keep the bigg'un for powder days.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hunsbury, I am 5 foot 10 and about 88 kg and ride a 163 long board with width suitable for upto UK size 10 shoes. Keeps me afloat in powder. The board is stiff 'Flow Infinite' so needs a bit of driving through carves. You might want to try something around 160 and a bit more flexible for the type of riding you intend.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque wrote:
... Alternatively, hire a shorter board and see how it feels and keep the bigg'un for powder days....

Think I may do this, just for the day, to see what the difference is.

Cheers
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
169 for me, always amusing to see my mates with shorter skis the faggots!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy