Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots in Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
I am going to be in Val for the last week of February, but am planning on being in BSM Thursday and Friday and am going to buy a pair of boots on Friday (I will be skiing Saturday through Saturday). I was searching around here and the 2 places that seem to come up are Nevada Sports in Tignes Le Lac or Precision Ski in Val D'Isere. Since I will be coming up from BSM to get the boots on Friday, the distance is basically the same. Also, I will be skiing both resorts, so it will be possible for me to stop in either place to get them adjusted reletively easily. So, does anyone recommend one over the other for someone with incredibly difficult to fit feet?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go to Nevada sports - independently recommended to me by PG in Bourg St Maurice, Stewart Woodward who lives in Tignes (when I told him I'd bought new boots he said "I hope you went to Nevada"), and two sets of reps.

Might be worth booking an appointment with him (Franck Peyrat) as he can get very busy. I was lucky and caught him free on a sunday afternoon - half an hour or so for him to check my feet and fit suitable boots (he gives you boots that suit your feet rather than the brand / model you want), and a return visit a couple of days later to have custom insoles made as I had some movement around my ankle
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks nbt, Is Franck Peyrat the same person as Jo-Jo that is mentioned in a bunch of the posts? Do you have the phone number? I can't seem to find a website for them.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Address: Le Lac Le Bec Rouge, Tignes, 73320, France
Tel: +33 (0)4 79 06 51 54

It's on Rue de la Poste, and the easiest way to get to it is to ski down Gentiane to the base of the Chardonnet drag, then skis off and walk 100 yards down the road (to skiiers' left as you come down the piste). Not sure how you'd get there in a car or where the nearest parking is. Likewise not sure on names to be honest, Franck Peyrat is the name given to me by PG, the name jo-jo rings bells from posts but I'm not sure who I actually dealt with! THere was only the one chap in when I went on Sunday, but a second (younger?) chappie was there for my return visit.

if you do end up there, tell him the English chappie with the carbon insoles loves his new boots but didn't get chance to get back
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bought my boots at Precision - and glad I did. Custom footbeds were part of the package.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nbt, Thanks, Franck sounds pretty good, is he pretty patient? Also, I am guessing that I am going to need pretty extensive modifications/custom work to get them to fit, is he decent for this?
The reason I am asking is that it took me two and a half hours a few weeks ago to find a pair of boots that fit well enough for using in the snow around town, so I am kind of dreading trying to get a pair of ski boots that work well.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
He seemd very patient to me, but then I only had a very little bit of work done as I already have custom footbeds from my podiatrist here.

he's regarded as the best bootfitter in town - when asked about boot mods, the reps recommended him without hesitation.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles, I also bought boots at Precision three years back and they were superb (the boots still are superb). Again, they found the boot for the fit, so dont go in with pre-conceptions about which boot you want. However, I gather that the guy who used to run the boot shop has been headhubted this season to run a new boot shop, which is well thought of by the guys I spoke to while in Val before Christmas. But can I remember the name? (no rolling eyes )
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nlinesw4, It should work out good then, I don't have any preference for boots, as long as they don't hurt, I don't have to spend all day tightening them, and they come in a color that will make me ski faster (bright red, green, etc.) Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
nbt, Sorry, I've got one more question about Franck - does he speak English? I know about 5 words in French, but as long as he knows some English, I should be able to get by.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
He speaks English quite well, at least as far as bootfitting is concerned - not sure you could hold a philosophical debate but then again I'm not sure I could either Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, I'm just back from Tignes with a nice new pair of boots from Franck at Nevada. Looked at feet etc, asked re ability and brought a pair of boots. Felt great straight away. 2 days later insoles made and a little grinding around a pressure point and all is excellent. when I was in there a posh english woman was insisting that the boots she was trying were too small. Franck said otherwise and said he would blow them a little were they were tight. She asked for the next size up, he refused, gave her another shops details and said he couldn't sell her ski boots. I was most impressed. He knew he could sell her some too big that would be comfy but crap to ski in, but he wouldn't.

Likewise when I said mine rubbed when I walked, he said they are ski boots not walking boots. got to admire the guy for his straightforward attitude, a rare thing these days.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
endoman wrote:
Likewise when I said mine rubbed when I walked, he said they are ski boots not walking boots. got to admire the guy for his straightforward attitude, a rare thing these days.

Whilst that is true, the amount of walking one actually does in ski boots, I find, is enough for rubbing while walking to be a problem. Not much fun to walk to the lift then find your feet still hurt while skiing because of the non-skiing activity
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
endoman, Thanks for the story, my appointment with him is this Friday. Finally getting a pair of boots that will fit well. Do you know how to get to Nevada from the Tignes Le Lac bus station, by any chance (I can't find where it is on tignes. net)?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
eng ch.

I agree totally, I have a blister on heel from a day of walking before adjustment. It's fine now, and comfy when skiing, but you do need to be able to walk in the boots. I think his point was that people want boots too big that are extremely comfy but not as precise for skiing. I can't wait for my next trip now I have some decent boots at last, hoping for a sneaky one aroiund easter.

jml.

with palafour lift in fron of you, turn left up the hill past the Jam Bar, keep going, it's in the main Bec rouge building, maybe 300 yds up the road.
snow report
jml, If you access the Place du Lac from the bus stop then exit through the front doors you are about 5 minutes from Nevada Sports.
Look to your right as you stand in front of the Place du Lac building and you will see the Intersport shop at the end of the large Palafour block.
Walk up the street to the right of the Intersport shop(Rue de la Post) and you will find Nevada Sport at the top of the street on the left hand side. Any doubts then ask for the Jam bar or Angel bar as they are on the same street.
Frank was also recommended to us. My partners boots were troubling her (aching feet, cramp etc....some times within 10-15 mins of wearing them). He took one look at her feet advised her to forget skiing and spend the week in the new swimming pool/aqua centre Shocked .
She had purchased these boots from Precision in Val Claret on a previous holiday and they had done quite a bit of work on her boots and footbeds to try and help her. We did return there first of all but unfortunately the boot fitter in residence spoke very little english. Stewart Woodward advised a trip to Nevada.
Frank became more amiable after a few minutes and eventually blew out her boots to give more room around the forefoot and toes.This helped with the cramping but she still had pain underfoot.( claire has been told that she has fallen arches and metatarsels so this was never going to be easy!) Confused Confused After more consultation he suggested that he made some custom insoles himself so an appointment was made for the following morning. He supplied what he described as a "softer" insole. That day was the first in a long time that Claire didn't have to stop skiing and take her boots off. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy . As mentioned above this fellow is very matter of fact and definitely tells it like it is.
Good luck snowHead snowHead snowHead .
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy