Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Intresting Stuff 2008.

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, probably shooting myself in the foot here, but as this winter has let us down with the snow, 2007 is the year to search out your bargains.

2008 however is a little different.

The Volkl 'Katana' will be the Powder ski of the year.

The K2 'Coomber' RIP DOUG. Is the best looking ski ever from K2 and fans of the brand WILL buy one for sure. RED WHITE and BLUE, huge K2 logo, you can't go wrong.

The K2 'Pontoon' has been retired after one year, no more Made'n' Ak so the 2 skis have been combined to create a reverse cambered 'Hell Bent' absolutly useless IMO.

It would seem the bootmen are staring to answer our prayers, with all manufactures offering us plug shells in low resistant flex ratings, Rossignol, Tecnica and Head all joing the revolution next winter!
Head have strangley turned up with a new Race and Freeride shell, looking just a tincey wincey bit like a 'Doberman'(can't imagine the Bode has had anything to do with that. wink ) One amazing feature of the freeride boot is, the photo sensitve plastic. Some how, during the moulding process, the photo design is transfered to the plastic. So in short, you will be able to send Head your design by J-Peg and hey presto 3 weeks later your personalised boots will be delivered to your door. Cool eh?

Atomic are launching the first of the commercial free flex ski boots. The Hawk. The boot is designed to flex a little at the middle of the sole and rubberised flex points at the metatarsals. Should be intresting for us guys to work with! If the Garmont version is anything to go by, the turn should be fluid and clean and this may become a feature of all modern boots.

Otherwise i've spotted nothing else! Crazy Graphics, more marketting and more hype surrounding who skis for who!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

with all manufactures offering us plug shells in low resistant flex ratings,

What does that mean please?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, have you managed to get your mits on the Marker touring bindings?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno, Naxo. Little Angel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

huge K2 logo

Shouldn't K2 be paying the skier for the advertising space?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Arno, Naxo. Little Angel

hmmm - cryptic. does that mean stay away until the first season glitches have been sorted? wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
admin wrote:
Quote:

with all manufactures offering us plug shells in low resistant flex ratings,

What does that mean please?

Plug boots were only available in race boot designs, ie very stiff. I'm guessing that us mortals will now be able to get a plug boot fit that we can flex - which would be great for both on-piste & freeride.

SZK I'd certainly be interested in a plug boot with a flex to match my Diablo Fire's. How long is the average fitting process? A few days maybe?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
still none the wiser about plug boots and low resistant flex ratings. can anyone explain in english? or even french or spanish.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nbt, Description of plug boots here:

http://www.bootfitters.com/06_plug.htm
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Probably a bit late with this news, but Rossignol have produced the B2 for next yeaR with the same graphics as the old Rossi Strato 102 - best slalom ski of it's generation (shame it's on the B2) and also another B2 version with old hickory ski styling. If you buy this one you get an original skinny ski to decorate you wall with. I thought it was original thinking. If the Strato look-alike was on almost anything other than the B2 I'd buy a pair - I loved those skis, and the nice plain graphics appeal (being as I like the silencer and the Lacroix. Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm not sure that plug boots appeal that much to me. Looks like a significant loss of comfort, for, at my level, marginal benefits in performance. Puzzled
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, not sure whether you've seen the pics of one of Dynastar's twin tip range which has the old school "Course" graphic, complete with red cherry insert in the tip! It's very cool but most of the people buying them will be too young to remember the originals...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Why would anyone want a plug boot which is soft flexing? Doesn't it kinda defeat the point of a high performance boot for on piste performance? Do the top off-piste skiers use plug boots?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
Why would anyone want a plug boot which is soft flexing?

Imagine a light or short or both person who wants a fully customised but softer boot; the plug part just means more plastic to play with (grind, sand, adapt to foot without factory last preconceptions). The idea is to keep the liner thickness to the very barest of minimums.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
Why would anyone want a plug boot which is soft flexing?

How about those that are light and not very strong but have a very low volume foot
ski holidays
jtr, thanks for that. makes sense now

so, are my new Head RC80s plug boots than? I see their big brother the RC96 in that list.

no? didn;t think so Wink
snow report
Quote:
Dear Snow God/Boot designer,

One problem that I'm having with my current boots is that they are far too comfortable and warm. Please could you come up with some way of fixing this dreadful problem, perhaps by making the liner, a lot thinner?

Thanks very much,

Kramer

wink
snow report
Arno, Just got back from ISPO, had a good look around the Duke binding.
Positives, Ski-ability/Transmission, Din to 16.
Negatives, Price, weight, overtwist in walk mode, need to take out boot to switch from ski to rando. Negatives are in my opinion, outweighed by the ski-ability.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Arno, does the red blob fall out after a season or 2 like it used to on the originals for max authenticity ? wink
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
all manufactures offering us plug shells in low resistant flex ratings, Rossignol, Tecnica and Head all joing the revolution next winter!
Head have strangley turned up with a new Race and Freeride shell, looking just a tincey wincey bit like a 'Doberman'(can't imagine the Bode has had anything to do with that. wink ) One amazing feature of the freeride boot is, the photo sensitve plastic. Some how, during the moulding process, the photo design is transfered to the plastic. So in short, you will be able to send Head your design by J-Peg and hey presto 3 weeks later your personalised boots will be delivered to your door. Cool eh?

"And this is what you'd look like when punched out by a bootfitter. "

I can see you'd like that.
latest report
Any dimensions for the Volkl 'Katana'?

Is 140-111-130 in the 183cm correct?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 8-02-07 8:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
DB,140-111-130 she rocks!
latest report
But two layers of metal, probably too heavy and stiff for a 72 kg lightweight like me. Just read the Katana has zero camber is this true?
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, seen some very positive reviews of the Duke on another board. it'll be interesting to see if the likes of salomon produce their own version
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy