Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Straight Skis to Shaped Skis / How should I change me technique?

Poster: A snowHead
easiski, that makes me feel better Smile So "old school" technique must really date back to the 1970s or I suspect much earlier, anyway well before my time. But certainly not the early 90s as many people now assume. Not even the mid 80s for that matter, unless I was using cutting edge technique back then!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
really liked Fastman's contrast of "pre-engagement pivot" vs end of turn stepping to tighten the turn. Makes perfect sense to me.

I would add though that a couple of weeks I was playing on my "new" second hand bargains (184cm Atomic REXs - 23m radius) rather than my everyday skis (174cm Stormrider XL - 18m radius) and there were a couple of moments when I misjudged how tight a turn I could carve and ended up reverting to a stepping technique to avoid hitting frozen debris at the edge of the piste! There's something to said for a technique that allows you to correct things AFTER to you've realised there's a problem...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jedster,
Quote:
There's something to said for a technique that allows you to correct things AFTER you've realised there's a problem...

That'll be one of those "emergency actions" referred to by EasiSki.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yessss
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't really understand why carving is the be all and end all of skiing. Whats wrong with skidding, side slipping, weddling, jet turns and jump turns, particulary if they are done elegantly ? Surely they add depth and variety to the sport ?

A lot of the places I seem to ski aren't really that suitable for carved turns unless you can manage controlled very short radius fall line carves which as far as I can tell are very rare.

A lot of the intinery runs and tight lines where the skiable surface is perhaps only a few metres wide demand skidded turns. Very steep narrow decents, or more commonly poor quality pistes with rocks, ice or congestion and other hazrads also require tight precise turns and generally those are not skiable through pure carving.

Or have i missed something ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter S, nope, you haven't missed anything. BUT... carving is probably the most efficient way to turn modern shaped skis when on piste.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter S, absolutely. A couple of weeks ago in St Anton, almost exclusively off piste, there was probably only about 200m in the entire week where carved turns were appropriate. Carving is a good tool if you want to keep going as fast as possible when changing direction (i.e. in a race, or being one of those totally mental Red Bull types) ..... and that's about it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter S, GrahamN, You are both talking about "full" carving. I personally see "carving" as more a matter of using the ski to do the work - using the design and sidecut etc, rather than manhandling the ski around. this can be done with all variations of degree of edge and carve, but I don't see it as black and white as many peeps seem to. Yes - "full~" carving is fine on the glacier .... have seen it done on the Valentin - very scary. Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, fairy nuff Wink . I've probably listened to (at least) one too many of Tom's harangues on the subject - he is about at the other extreme to you on this one, taking the term to its literal limit (unsurprisingly Wink ); to him a track more than about 1mm wide is definitely not a carve. (BTW He also freely admits that pretty much his main principle when setting any course is to make it just too tight to carve.)

Probably when most people talk about "carving" they really mean "scarving" - blend of carve and skid, with the proportions of those varying dependent on the conditions. Adjusting those proportions as you go and from second to second is probably a way more valuable skill than just doing the carve.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If "skidding" seems too much of a dirty word, try "scraping" instead. A much more acceptable term in the modern era.
Never admit to skidding, just say you're using a scraping technique to control your speed.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
uktrailmonster, or go for the new one which is "Brushing" - there's a certain instructor who has come up with a new type of turn called the "brushed carve". It's nothing like a skidded/scraped carve, cause those are just plain WRONG. (according to him)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Perhaps we could "dust?" (would someone like to come and dust my flat!

GrahamN, Yes - but he's a scientist and thus everything must be an absolute (we used to have rows about this sort of thing!). I, on the other hand, am almost 100% right brained, and don't understand absolutes at all except when it comes to skiing dangerously and leaning back!!! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

there's a certain instructor who has come up with a new type of turn called the "brushed carve". It's nothing like a skidded/scraped carve, cause those are just plain WRONG. (according to him)

That must be the turn with the Broom stuffed up his backside, so he can piste the snow for following skiers. Confused Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I personally see "carving" as more a matter of using the ski to do the work - using the design and sidecut etc, rather than manhandling the ski around. this can be done with all variations of degree of edge and carve, but I don't see it as black and white as many peeps seem to.

Hallelujah, Amen to that.

And please, for those that are HH bashing, stop. He has done a lot for the industry, and the standard of skiing in general (and his wallet too, but credit to him).

He is still right when he says that the first move should not be a rotary one.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter S wrote:
I don't really understand why carving is the be all and end all of skiing. Whats wrong with skidding, side slipping, weddling, jet turns and jump turns, particulary if they are done elegantly ? Surely they add depth and variety to the sport ?

veeeight wrote:

He is still right when he says that the first move should not be a rotary one.

Charleston. Toofy Grin
latest report
Speaking of first moves, where in the sequence do you see the extension:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=436450#436450

and the above mentioned pre-engagement pivot?
latest report
veeeight, "He is still right when he says that the first move should not be a rotary one." I don't think most peeps would have realised who was being talked about until you said! Do PSIA still say that? (first move should be rotary) How quaint and old fashioned!! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
Do PSIA still say that? (first move should be rotary) How quaint and old fashioned!! Laughing Laughing

Nope, I don't believe so. I think the only person who says the PSIA say that is HH - but then his marketing tactics are, um "interesting"...
snow conditions
Old-School,

Haven't really read thorough all thread as I've been away...but a few observations...IMV. From my eyes, the new school position is pretty ugly but effective...so I'd think that some of the old style being brought across to newer skiing thinking is a plus. The new school instructors that have a great position on skis...steal that from their old days, I'd reckon. It still takes a long time to really get it under your belt but the new skis do get you very effective in a shorter time. This is evident when you see newer FAT skiers 'coping' off piste.
The other thing that I think is also evident is that the newer technique does not promote too much input into the skis, they just ride it...the plus being that this is very economical, the minor downer is probably that the skiers doesn't really work the ski...and that will always be about time on skis, IMO.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, FastMan Thanks to Bud, I now like lifting both skis during the transition ...
latest report
lbt,,, something you were working on at ESA? Tell us about it.
ski holidays
It was Smile

Basically, aiming to transition as you go over a roll/lip.
Just continue to ski normally and you move from one set of edges to the other in the air as you go over the lip.

[to be clear, I didn't actually lift my skis, but you can extend just before the rise to either get some air or get very light]

It's a really nice feeling Wink

We were working on releasing the old edge, flattening and engaging the new edge at the very top of the turn.
ski holidays
lbt, was this on the way down Trestle towards the Big Burn lift? Wink
latest report
lbt wrote:
It was Smile

Basically, aiming to transition as you go over a roll/lip.
Just continue to ski normally and you move from one set of edges to the other in the air as you go over the lip.

[to be clear, I didn't actually lift my skis, but you can extend just before the rise to either get some air or get very light]

It's a really nice feeling Wink

We were working on releasing the old edge, flattening and engaging the new edge at the very top of the turn.

Yeah, lbt, those are fun to do. Great for many skill areas; fore/aft balance, lateral balance, making quick transitions/edge changes.

I also teach a similar drill designed to work on rotational management skills. Do a power extension at the end of the turn,,, leave the snow,,, rotate pelvis and torso uphill,,,, land countered and on downhill edges,,, right into a new carved turn.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy