Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you think it's safe skiing or boarding whilst listening to music on headphones?

Poster: A snowHead
I do, sometimes whilst skiing but often on chairlifts or in gondolas. I never do when off piste or on serious runs. Just wondered what other people thought and why... also wondered if the USA have introduced a law banning it yet, and if not, when can one be expected wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Been discussed before. Likely to arouse some controversy.

It isn't banned in the US yet. I can see the point of doing it on a chairlift on your own, but one of the joys of North American skiing is you always end up talking to whoever is on the chair with you.

Personally I think it is dangerous, and - when you are surrounded by beautiful mountains, the sound of the wind and your skis/board - utterly superfluous. I am surrounded by music which I listen to at home and at work and in the car, but I cannot see the point of insulating yourself from the auditory part of skiing and nature. Why not just save the money and use SSX2... Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stoatsbrother, Ditto
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stoatsbrother, mistermouse, Ditto
I enjoy the peace on the quiet runs, I enjoy the sound of skis on snow, I enjoy hearing people laughing, I enjoy chatting to people, I like to hear what's behind me, I hate sitting next to someone on a chairlift who has got earphones in,
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SnowGod, Wouldn't when skiing, a bit dangerous - I would on a chairlift etc.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
love music while i ride, helmet with headphones, padded audio hat, or just plain old headphones, i use em all. still as aware as anyone else on the slopes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A no-no for me.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
graeme wrote:
love music while i ride....... still as aware as anyone else on the slopes.

I can't believe that is true as you can't hear the sounds about you or someone shouting just before they hit. Same as making a phone call on a hands free in the car; some of you attention is elsewhere.

For me keep it to the lifts and enjoy the quiet of the mountains
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm iffy with the music on the slopes. I tend to do it when skiing with the family just because I get bored. But the times ive done it with friends, it seems to make me do crazy things which isnt always a good thing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SnowGod, dangerous when skiing, fine on a chairlift, but none of my lot bother (generally)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
it's safer for other people if I listen to music all day, and I do. If I have to listen one more time how /upper class english accent "oh rather, hey ho ding dong, oscar and charly were taking on the black runs today, hey ho rather quite savage they are, absolutely splendid what what what" I think I will kill someone.

For the cable car/chair lifts the volume goes up, for riding it's background music, nothing worse than hittin ice and not hearing it, or some spanner going into you.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I can't believe that is true as you can't hear the sounds about you or someone shouting just before they hit.

If you are about to be hit by some idiot out of control it's much better to be relaxed than tensed up by a scream of warning! If a car is hit from behind it is invariably the driver, who sees it coming and braces himself, who gets the worse whiplash. I use music a lot, though by no means all the time, and always switch it off whilst on chairlifts. If you are a safe, controlled, skier then you are not going to become a murderous maniac just because you listen to music. If you are a bit of a nutcase and out of control then music might just make you worse, I suppose. I don't have it so loud that I can't hear (or rather, most of the time, "feel") the sound of skis or board on the snow. Yes, I love the mountains etc, and find that they are a great arena for fine music. I use a huge variety of classical and other music, so with shuffle on I don't know whether the next track is going to be Mozart or Scissors Sisters. It amuses me that this subject, which comes up regularly, arouses such self righteous ire amongst Snowheads. I was enjoying myself the other day, wondering how many other snowboarders were listening to Vivaldi's Gloria!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stab wrote:
it's safer for other people if I listen to music all day, and I do. If I have to listen one more time how /upper class english accent "oh rather, hey ho ding dong, oscar and charly were taking on the black runs today, hey ho rather quite savage they are, absolutely splendid what what what" I think I will kill someone.

Shocked

And I'm sure they'd be too polite to say the same of your loose vowels NehNeh
Seriously though, a poor sentiment to have, much less to express.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I used to if I was skiing alone, but not so loud that I completely blocked out all of the sound around me. I really enjoyed the combination of mountains, music and skiing. Now though, I just can't do it at all. I just find it too distracting and my skiing is much poorer if I have an iPod with me. Not sure whether this is because I ski much faster/steeper than I used to and need to concentrate more, or whether it's just my age and greater awareness of risks around me?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Laughing this is the reason I should have stopped posting here until feb is over, I have some extreme views on skiing/tourists, was supposed to disappear for a while until I calmed down Very Happy
Time to bite my tongue maybe.
snow report
stab, stop skiing in Val d'Isere.
snow conditions
stab, Are you a hoodie?
snow report
Laughing no no no, far from it. I just get wound up easy I guess when it's busy.
snow conditions
Only when doing zipper lines on a mogul field. Sometimes a Stones or Bat Out of Hell cut will amp me up and make me forget the joy in my my knees.... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Quote:

I can't believe that is true as you can't hear the sounds about you or someone shouting just before they hit. Same as making a phone call on a hands free in the car; some of you attention is elsewhere.

horses for courses really, i feel very comfortable aware and safe when riding with music. just because you dont believe it, does not make it untrue. not one accident of note in the 15ish years of riding
snow conditions
Quote:

Not sure whether this is because I ski much faster/steeper than I used to and need to concentrate more, or whether it's just my age and greater awareness of risks around me?

I echo these comments rob@rar, I'm fine on blue / red runs but have to focus more on steeps and off piste..

Quote:

Sometimes a Stones or Bat Out of Hell cut will amp me up and make me forget the joy in my my knees....

Agree with that as well... maybe not Stones or Meatloaf but I find rocky stuff revs me up and makes me ski more agressively and I attack the mountain more.
snow report
Quote:

I echo these comments rob@rar, I'm fine on blue / red runs but have to focus more on steeps and off piste..

despite my enthusiasm for skiing with music I agree with this. I don't turn it off, but I stop hearing it, if things get really difficult. However, if it's just a bit difficult - for example poor visibility, or chilly and windy, or a red slope that looks a bit grotty and icy, the music really helps. Boosts my morale and helps me find a rhythm. However, I have only really enjoyed it since getting a helmet with built in sound; can't be doing with fiddly things in my ears.
ski holidays
don't think it's dangerous just don't want to do it.

I love being in the mountains and I love skiing and I don't get enough of either. Why would I want to take any of my attention away from the skiing and the mountain environment? I can listen to music just about any time.

By the way, I own 2 ipods, loads of CDs and records and have a serious hifi - I'm into music.
snow conditions
pam w, Which helmet did you get Pam? This is something I'm looking into at the moment... Being male, I wouldn't want a bright pink Roxy one though wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy