Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski boots in suitcase and Easyjet.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Goldytap, Just out of curiosity, how often are the check in scales calibrated. I assume as you charge based on their readout that they must be checked regularly. Toofy Grin

snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sage, I should imagine they are covered by 'Weights and Measures' act, just like any business where weight is involved, butchers, grocers etc. As such, they should be regularly calibrated, and are subject to checks by Trading Standards.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This IS all very confusing - flying with Thomas Cook airlines to Toulouse next Sunday and because their own baggage info is confusing (apart from the mandatory 20kg) I took the trouble to ring customer enquiries, only to be told that it's down to the tour operator (i.e.Neilson) who have booked our seats on the flight Shocked now where's the consistancy there? Needless to say, could get straight answer out of Neilson. Incidentally, I was also told that if they try to charge at check in for boots going into the hold, then to take offending boot bag on as hand luggage !!! rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
... and as has been said many times, they don't weigh the big fat b*****s oops sorry nice lardy chaps Laughing who are occupying the seats rolling eyes

The equitable solution would be to have a passenger + baggage weight allowance, Shirley?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David_S, that's exactly what I've done for about half-a-dozen trips - if I'm wearing them neither the airline nor I can lose them. Only trouble was one EJ flight where the flight attendant didn't want me to wear them on the plane (other EJ, BA and First Choice flights have been perfectly OK), but was perfectly happy for me to take them off and put them in the overhead locker (in addition to my normal carry on and duty free). Ignore stoatsbrother's clear personal insecurity and go for it!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

they should be regularly calibrated

Yes but are they, hence my question.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Think Ryanair scales overweigh on purpose. Suitcase that was spot on at home was 3 kilos over according to them. After a frantic episode of unpacking and repacking into OH's/son's cases and hand luggage, we checked with another airline's scales. 3 kilos under Shocked . Back to Ryan. Dead on 15K rolling eyes . Of course we were frantic to catch the flight so no 'phone call to Trading Standards was made by us, and I presume, anyone else in that situation.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GrahamN Thanks, I now have this lovely image of a couple of hundred people trying to get onto a charter flight to Lyon in ski boots... I think the airlines would put a stop to it pretty soon! rolling eyes

My main reason for packing them in hand luggage is I have twice lost a day skiing when the boots caught a later trnasfer plane than me... I still think wearing ski boots as you walk to the plane and whilst you are on it is dangerous. When airlines do their evacuation exercises, I believe the fake punters use trainers, but I suspect others willl know more. Certainly you can be refused to be allowed on a plane because you have no footwear.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was not too serious about wearing them but 200 + in boots at check in would at least make the airlines take note, maybe.... Personally I leave mine in the top box as we drive, from south England Alps can be done in maybe 12 hours d2d, if u have a few drivers in the car we don't Sad so have overnight stop, count the hours from through check in and transfers and all this luggage discussion - think about driving, train or coach none take that much longer and all have pros and cons we have 6 people in our party (3 kids) and flying is just impractical for us (BA Ryanair EJ would love us though all those bags)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GrahamN, stoatsbrother, Think I said this earlier, but following advice on here a year or so ago, I threatened to wear the boots after being questioned about them as hand baggage. The agent, being pragmatic ( and consequently French), all I got was a wry smile and I was allowed to continue.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Further to my original post. If there are 7 in our group all on the same booking reference, easyjet from Liverpool to Geneva and two have paid for ski carriage taking their allowance by my reckoning to 32kg. If any of the other group are slightly over on weight will that be viewed as excess baggage or will the total allowance for seven people be taken into account????
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Like others I have tried, in the past, to take on a boot bag as hand luggage and had it refused.
A boot boot bag could not fit the minimum dimensions for hand luggage (55 x 40 x 20cm). How can two boots side by side be less than 20cm?
However I have several times taken ski-boots on in a rucksack (one inverted over the other) and there is never any problem over that. I checked with easyjet and they had no problem with the idea.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball, I think I posted in another thread - I take my boots as carry on, but not in a boot bag, they are in a samsonite case which is the exact dimensions, and holds the boots in a 69 fashion.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, it's a nonsense anyway - the smallest lockers I've come across are in the Fokker 100s, and I managed to get my boot bag in by unzipping it enough to pull one boot free of the other, sliding the bag in (locker is quite triangular), and then zipping it back up again. It's not rocket science.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy