Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski boots in suitcase and Easyjet.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi I have read various topics about easyjet and ski boots and am still a bit confused.

If I turn up at Liverpool with a suitcase and a bootbag, will I be charged extra?

If that is the case, is it cheaper if I pre pay?

How do you do that online?

Could I just avoid the problem by putting my skiboots in my suitcase?

Is there anybody who can assist?

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Could I just avoid the problem by putting my skiboots in my suitcase?

Yes. My brother in law did exactly that last week, plus a pair of snowblades, in a big cricket bag. They are heavy but, if full of socks and pants, and packed in a squishy big bag, don't take up a lot of extra room. Suitcases are going to be a pain if you find yourself in a small room; squash bags can be shoved under the bed.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that, I have copied this from the easyjet site and I am still confused about charges. This seems to say that if you book online for additional pieces of baggage it is £5 providing the weight does not exceed 20kg. However if its sports equipment and it lists boots in that it is £15. If I have it right then and I try to check in a boot bag that's £30 return!!!!!!!!!

I think I will put them in my suitcase!

One piece of checked-in hold baggage per person, up to 20 Kg, free of charge. All additional pieces of baggage and excess baggage (over 20 Kg) will be charged for. Additional pieces of checked-in hold baggage are subject to a charge of £5.00 if you pay online, or £10.00 if you pay at the airport. The total weight allowance for all pieces of checked-in hold baggage is 20 Kg. Excess baggage fees are charged for each Kg exceeding 20 Kg.

Number of additional hold bags:

Fees for sports equipment. Skis/snowboards (including boots and poles), bicycles (including bag), golf equipment, surf boards, wind surfers, hang gliders, sporting/competition firearms (subject to limitations), and similar items are subject to a charge of £15.00 per item per flight.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mfamily2, the £30 charge is if you want to take skis and boots., if you are only taking boots put them in your main bag and save the £5 additional bag charge.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AxsMan wrote:
mfamily2, the £30 charge is if you want to take skis and boots., if you are only taking boots put them in your main bag and save the £5 additional bag charge.

But just watch your weight dosn't go over 20 Kg.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The last couple of times I've flown with Easyjet from East Mids and Luton they haven't seemed concerned about the total weight being a couple of kilo's over going out, then I got shafted with exactly the same weight coming back and had to pay excess baggage. Ryan air seem the worst for "extra charges" though... they'll be charging you £1 to use the toilet on the flight before long wink

I've often put my boots in my main bag when going for a weekend. I find I have a bit too much stuff when going for a full week and have to take a boot bag as well, but I always pack my ski bag with jackets, and all my electrical chargers of which I seem to have dozens these days... phone, ipod, walkie talkies, camera, video, blue tooth earpiece, sat nav (feel like a travelling Curry's Roadshow at times!!!).... BUT the weight of them soon adds up so the ski bag seems the best option as the airlines rarely actually weigh it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I put my boots in suitcase on recent Easyjet flight, would have been charged extra for boot bag snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
okay you are a little confused!

the main part of the charge is for the extra handiling required by irregular shaped baggage. So when they mention ski equipment the main charge is for the long fragile ski's they are then just throwing in the boots for free and making it clear that the charge covers both items.

If you just have boots you can check it in as normal. As long as they are in a normal shaped squarish bag
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There was an excellent interview on Radio 5 live last Friday with Matthew Parris. Apparently a jobsworth from EasyJet has tried to hit him with an excess baggage charge on hand luggage coming back from a walking holiday somewhere in Spain. Following an altercation at the check-in desk, Mr. Parris turfed all his clothing out of the problematic bag, put on as much as he could (including a complete waterproof outfit) then had the jobsworth re-weigh the hand luggage which was now virtually empty.

After clearing check-in and the security check, he then repacked his clothing back into the original bag and boarded the plane as usual. OK, a little hassle but worth it, if just to knock the smile of the git behind the check-in desk.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mfamily2 wrote:

Fees for sports equipment. Skis/snowboards (including boots and poles), bicycles (including bag), golf equipment, surf boards, wind surfers, hang gliders, sporting/competition firearms (subject to limitations), and similar items are subject to a charge of £15.00 per item per flight.

This £15 is in addition to the excess weight charge, remember, it's merely a 'handling charge'
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Clive, Full story on snowHeads!
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=23452&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
doctor_eeyore wrote:
mfamily2 wrote:

This £15 is in addition to the excess weight charge, remember, it's merely a 'handling charge'

But the £15 does also increase the total max weight allowance up to 32kg.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I flew out of Bournemouth on the 20th and Easy took great lengths to ensure I only had one bag and it weighed less than 20kg's. Another of our group arrived 15 minutes later and checked in his main bag and a sep boot bag, together they did not exceed the max weight allowed and he was told he would not be charged. Returning from Geneva today there was very little bother over the weigh in and the number of bags, they also asked me if I had paid in advance for ski's (which I had). A less honest traveller could possibly reply positivly when in fact they may not have actually paid and owuld easily be able to check in as the system stands right now. Incidentally Easy are going to soon bring in a system of fast boarding, seems thay have had complaints there is no seat allocation and soon the first 20 bookers on a flight will be PERMITTED to PAY to get on the plane first, before women and children obviously, pricing wll be between £2.50 and £7.50 per seat. cheery news
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
there was a thread that tired to summarise all the baggage issues a while back check out http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=455912&highlight=ryanair#455912
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Could you not just take your Boot bag as hand luggage?
snow report
nope they won't let boots on as hand luggage.

I recently flew Easyjet, Liverpool to Basel.

Friends had one bag and a boot bag, they charged them extra for that (Note they increase the charges by £5 from the online price if you pay at the airport)

When you pay the £15 for skis, that gets you a 12kg allowance for your skis, I paid for one set, and put 2 sets in and they weighed my ski's and charged me another £20 for the 2nd set.

So they are sticking by their rules, which is fair enough, just make sure you take this into account when pricing your tickets!

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
Ok let me clear everything up for anyone who is wondering.

I work for Easyjet as ground staff in BRS, so i check in lots of skiers every day. And i am not just a git behind a check in desk - i am a girl trying to get the messege across to you guys as i am tired of being shouted at about it!!!

When you pay for skis/snowboards on line you pay £15 each way (£20 at the airport) which entitles you to an extra 12 kilos on top of your 20 kilo luggage allownace. This brins your total baggage allowance to 32 kilos. They made it 32 kilos as no airline will accept a single item above 32 kilos. If you have boots with you and skis then thats inlcuded in the fee shopwn above. If you only have boots and not skis/snowboard then you would have to pay the extra bag charge (£5 online, £10 at the airport) which does not allow you any more luggage allowance above your 20 kilos. If you bring just Skis/Snowboard then you would still have to pay the sports equipment charge even if you did not have another bag. Its becouse its a handling fee for the sports equipment. We often ask people whether theyve paid the charges already as a lot of people just produce the documentation at that point. If they dont produce the documentation we go into their booking on the system - we always check.

Be careful about the wweight allowance though as 1nce you go over it, it could get expensive for you as its charged at £5 a kilo - and we charge for every kilo every time!

When you book your flight just make sure you ass the sports charges in then as a lot of people try and put the charges in later and they can be quit hard to find! lol

Anyway hope that clears it all up - any more questions about easyjet just ask me.....that way u wont yell at me when you get to check in!

Sarah x
ski holidays
Goldytap, Hi Sarah and Welcome to SnowHeads! Thanks for putting your head above the parapet too! wink You may be sorry you offered to answer questions, but as you did... We are a family of 4 flying to Geneva from Liverpool. We are hoping to just carry 2 bags plus a ski bag (not yet booked as not decided if taking them yet - will put adding it to the booking to the test). Our booking states we are entitled to 4 bags (presumably max of 20 kg) each, but if the 2 bags we are taking are say, 25 kg each are we still within our limit, or better to split it down into 3? We are 2 adults and 2 young children and they can't carry a suitcase, hence the trying to get it all into 2 bags - usually mange it though! Thanks in advance Very Happy - BTW, the question is necessary as we have had all kinds of answers and responses from check out staff in Liverpool, never the same reply twice! Puzzled
snow conditions
Goldytap, Welcome and a big thank you for a great post.
latest report
I recently traveled on 4 easyjet flights to go skiing with boots and skis. I had about 18kg in my suitcase which I checked in, they also weighed my ski bag. I took my boot bag on as hand luggage and had no problem with this on any of the 4 flights I travelled on, it wasn't weighed either. Ryanair is the only airline I have travelled with which has weighed my handluggage. Easyjet have those orange things at the check in desks which state that you have unlimited weight for your hand luggage ( within reason I think they say) as long as they fit in the specified size.

The only bit I was caught out with was my handbag, you used to be allowed a handluggage bag and a handbag and I think the airlines still allow this but for some reason at custome they make you put your handbag in your hand luggage rolling eyes

Hope this helps snowHead
latest report
My hold luggage last week came to 16 kg. I carried my boot bag as hand luggage (Swiss from Manchester). On EZY would I only get charged the extra £5 if I check the boot bag in separately as a second item of hold baggage? (thinking the cheapest thing to do in that case is carry clothes in hand baggage and stick boots in the empty spaces in my case).

And I apologise if I am adding to the numpties-R-us confusion.
snow report
I flew Glasgow to Geneva on Easyjet. I arrived at the airport and found out large holdall containing boots was 22 kg I transferred some stuff into my hand luggage and got it down to under 20 kg. However I then made the mistake of asking if on the way back I could take my boots as hand luggage and was told that I had to remove them from my bag now giving 2 bags and costing me £10 and no I could not carry them on. My holdall disappeared down the conveyor belt but they were unable to show me in T&C where it said that boots couldn't be carried in checked baggage and so I didn't pay. No problems on the way back with boots in checked luggage weighing just under 20 kg.
snow conditions
I think I've done this elsewhere but,.......................

Arrived at Liverpool on 25/1. 4 skiers, one piece of hold baggage each. 1 skier also had a boot bag and was informed that it had to go in the hold and could not be taken as hand luggage. charge for checking in boot bag was £5 each way. Decided to put his boot bag in my hold bag (his hold bag was full to the zippers). This took the weight of my bag from 15kg to 22kg but was not charged any excess.

On the way through security I noticed boot bags being taken as hand luggage Puzzled EJ T@C and airport notices state that hand luggage up to a maximum size with no weight limit (within reason). Since boots in a bag conform to size dimensions and weigh between 5-7kg I would class this as "within reason" obviously EJ don't. (BTW what's the weight of a couple of litres of duty free vodka?).

If OTOH you are allowed by EJ staff to take your boots as hand luggage you then run the highly probably risk of being refused to take them by airport security staff. There is just no consistency or communication either between EJ staff or between EJ staff and airport security. It's an f'in lottery Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
halfhand I checked in early because I had been warned that Manchester security might tell me to go back and get my boots put in the hold (I'd packed my remaining hand luggage in a separate squashy bag that I put inside my boot bag, just in case), but as it happens I had no problems either there or at Zurich. As you say, it's a lottery.
latest report
clara_jo, Manc security a lot more reasonable then. You know what they say about well balanced scousers " A chip on both shoulders" Laughing

God I wish I was going skiing again Mad
snow report
Anniepen wrote:
Goldytap, Hi Sarah and Welcome to SnowHeads! Thanks for putting your head above the parapet too! wink You may be sorry you offered to answer questions, but as you did... We are a family of 4 flying to Geneva from Liverpool. We are hoping to just carry 2 bags plus a ski bag (not yet booked as not decided if taking them yet - will put adding it to the booking to the test). Our booking states we are entitled to 4 bags (presumably max of 20 kg) each, but if the 2 bags we are taking are say, 25 kg each are we still within our limit, or better to split it down into 3? We are 2 adults and 2 young children and they can't carry a suitcase, hence the trying to get it all into 2 bags - usually mange it though! Thanks in advance Very Happy - BTW, the question is necessary as we have had all kinds of answers and responses from check out staff in Liverpool, never the same reply twice! Puzzled

right im going 2 be put to the test now with quesions arnt i! lol

ok we if theres 4 of u and uve all bought a seat ( ie not an infant - under 2 ) you are entitled to 80 kilos and so yes if you wanted to take 2 bags and they were 25 each that would be fine. As long as no bag exceeds the 32 kilo mark you can share the luggage allowance as long as your all on the same booking. If you were all on a separate booking reference you would all have to have a separate bag of 20 kilos maximum each - a lot of people get caught out by that!As i mentioned b4 if u bring skis, u would have to pay for them but it would give u another 12 kilos bringing your total baggage allowance for the 4 people travelling to 92 kilos - which i thinks plenty!!!

Its diffucult when it comes to the boot bag as hand luggage - it really depends on whos working on security that day, and so i usually ring upstairs every time i get a boot bag at check in - they get very fed up with me but ur right there is no consistency - its a grey area with no set rules, so the majority of times we advise passengers to check them in otherwise the run the risk of being sent down to check them in anywy.

If im perfectly honest - i dont know why they made you take the boot bag out of the hold luggage, i have many people who check in with me tell me that their boot bags inside the hold luggage, and its fine. Im wondering maybe thats the policy they have in glasgow. As we are all different handling agencies, there are different regulations at each airport - very simular to each other but you do get the odd 1 which catches you out! i cant be sure though - so i cant help on this 1! sorry!

Yeah with regards to weight restrictions with hand luggage - as long as you are able to lift it above your head and it fits into the orange gage at the airport it can go as hand luggage - make sure you include the handels and the wheels in the measurements when your checking if its ok for hand baggage. Flying from the UK you wont be able to take more then 1 bag through security - if uve got 3 bags and you can put them inside each other then thats fine, and you can take them out 1nce your in depatures - its just wen u go through security u have the problems.....

wow - ok any more?
ski holidays
Goldytap, Welcome to snowHead 's and thanks for answering all the questions that EZJ's 'help' facility never seems to manage! Could I have your mobile no, and can you please be on call 24/7/365 for any other little queries we may have Twisted Evil Laughing

BTW I have only noticed one mistake in your postings so far: "Be careful about the weight allowance though as 1nce you go over it, it could get expensive for you as its charged at £5 a kilo - and we charge for every kilo every time!"

No, you don't. (Well you might but not all your collegues do. I have got away with up to 3 kilos over on more than one occasion wink ).

However a very nice, but misinformed check in lady at Grenoble tried to charge me for being 8 kilos over (the 20 kg limit) when I HAD paid the sports kit surcharge. Bit of a training issue there I think.

As others have said, in many ways it's a lottery, but it certainly helps to have a well informed 'insiders' view snowHead
snow conditions
lol yeah i charge everytime - but only because they r cracking down on those who arnt charging......theyve been watching us and they are bringing every1 who isnt charging into the office atm and giving them official warnings which is a making every1 miserable, b making people leave and c evry1s charging 4 every kilo - well this is happening at brs anyway but i thinking ezy are putting pressure on the handling agencys in general - so be warned people - you may have got away with it b4 but they r cracking down!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Goldytap, You are one very brave lady ! Keep telling them, I suspect (??) you haven't been doing CS for more than a few months but with your attitude you both deserve and are going to really go places - RESPECT ... pm when you need a job with a real company ( had you really never heard of 'Sleezyjet' or 'Fat Greek Airlines'? ) .. ( where IS Bristol?) Cool
snow conditions
With a metal shovel, my boots, and most of my clobber in on bag, and the skis in their bag, total was inside the 32 Kg for my last trip. I was making no special effort to travel light. OK, Mission skis aren't the heaviest. And I was wearing my walking boots. But I wonder of there really is a problem. Mind you, that's travelling Easyjet - I think I would have a problem with Ryanair allowances.
snow conditions
achilles, travelling with four adults by plane we used to take three pairs of boots, 2 pairs of skis (in one bag), plus luggage and we never got anywhere near paying for excess baggage. Skis and boots are now in our apartment storage room.
ski holidays
Goldytap,
Thanks, you've really cleared that up for us
We will be flying out of BRS on the 17th Feb to TLS - with everything - skis, boots, bags.....be gentle!

Actually - might need some snow. Don't suppose.....?
latest report
Goldytap, Thanks - very comprehensive answer! Very Happy Just hope check-in staff at Liverpool read the same manual and went on the same course! wink
snow conditions
All very confusing ... I've done three weekends this season on Ryan Air and EasyJet (all out of Stansted) and haven't had any problems taking my boots on as hand luggage.

One of my companions wore his snowboard boots on the flight a few years ago when Ryan Air first started getting heavy over weight allowances .. he did look a right **** in departures though!!!
ski holidays
Once again last Saturday I went through Luton flying EZY to GVA, and wore my (touring) boots onto the plane. No problems. Checked bag was about 12kg, ski bag about 13kg (it had all the ski-related toys in there as well: shovel, probe, skins, harness+jangley bits, helmet, etc).
latest report
On recent trips, both East Midlands and Liverpool security would not allow boot bags on as hand luggage (though another passenger said they had allowed his children's boot bags on. Presumably you can't kick people to death with children's boots!). Solution is to pack boots in checked bag, then cram as much other stuff as possible into your carry-on. Worked ok for us with Easyjet. By the way, at Geneva, Easyjet make you check in at the self-check machines, even if you have bags to check-in - the machine prints baggage tags. It's a reasonable system - just wish Easyjet had told us before we got there!
ski holidays
I flew BMI baby out of Birmingham to Geneva in January and they wouldn't let me take my boots on as hand luggage, but let me put them in the hold with no extra charge (we'd paid extra for one ski bag, although we had two pairs of skis in it).

We flew back from Geneva to Luton with EasyJet, who have no weight restrictions on hand luggage, and they were quite happy for me to take my boots as hand luggage - I questioned it. The boot bag, with my ski pants, goggles, thermals etc. all fit in the measuring thingy they have.
ski holidays
We have holdalls which take a pair of boots in the side pockets, one in each. No bother with no of bags, and always manage to be less than EJ's weight limit. Now our boots are in France, but I'd recommend the bags, fairly light when empty too. Not sure they'd make Ryanairs 15kg limit though.
ski holidays
is there any reason you could not just wear the boots onto the plane???? also wear all the kit , loads of room for boxers and socks ...... Smile
ski holidays
David_S, comfort, overheating, safety in the case of evacuation, and looking and feeling a complete prat....

I always carry mine in hand luggage. The single most crucial bit of kit (apart from credit card) that goes with me, and I do not want to lose them/wait a day for them to turn up.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy