Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is La Rosiere for me?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Evening,

OK, I've only skied since 2003 and been to:

Courchevel 1650 - Feb 2003
Meribel - Feb 2004
St Gervais/Megeve/Combloux - Jan 2005
Les Arcs Plan Peisey (and La Plagne vi Paradiski Cable Car) - Feb 2005
Eben/Flachau (Ski Amade in Austria) - Jan 2006
Courchevel 1650 - Late Mar 2006

I've got used to these resorts that offer a lot of piste and variety and the option to ski somewhere different everyday. e.g. we skied to Orelles when at Meribel, which was very interesting.

Anyway, I'm looking at a late availability in La Rosiere this season for a group of 6 (4 adults and two teenagers). All of us are intermediates, with a couple being more advanced. What I really want to know is La Rosiere somewhere that we would enjoy and feel fulfilled for a weeks ski trip Puzzled We do want to try somewhere new and do like France. We also like small villages and nice scenery. None of us are keen on lots of drag lifts !

Any thoughts or comments appreciated. btw I have read the two resort reviews.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am sure you will get plenty of feedback!!

I would class myself as an intermediate and La Rosiere was good for a week even with limited pistes open (this Xmas). If you are a mile hungry, must-ski-every-run-only-once type, then you will probably be able to get through the whole resort in a few days. Therein lies one huge benefit, you will spend more time skiing than queuing!!

The scenary is absolutely spectacular. You will love the whole panorama view from Val D through Les Arcs up to the Mont Blanc Massif.

Warning!!!!! You will get 'air' off the drag lifts (so even if you hate them, you can have great competitions on them!). You will have to do drag lifts to get across to Italy, but they are pretty gentle and stay open if the wind gets up. There is some great steep stuff in Italy for your more experienced skiiers.

Although there are far more experienced commentators on La Ros (they'll be along in a minute), my experience was brilliant. Friendly locals, lots of sun, quiet slopes and small to non existent queues.

Go and enjoy it!!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pokemon, I am always going on about La Rosiere, despite the fact I have only been twice. It will be 3 in 3 years in a fortnight though. We have 2 kids, 10 & 12 and they have skied in Kaprun, Courchevel, La Plagne, Les Menuires / 3v, and La Rosiere twice. Their fave place is La Ros. We like it because it has a nice but small town with a very homely feel. The folks are also VERY friendly. I know it sounds twee, but it can put a smile on your face. Not only do we enjoy the place but I think the skiing is good. Its not fantastic but it is good. The ambiance of the Italian side is great and the food over there cheap and very very tasty. Snow is generally excellent and the french side often very sunny

It has its downsides though in that it is prone to wind, and in bad weather or high avalanche risk the link to Italy can be closed.
It has some old and slow lifts but they are better on the Italian side. The problem with high speed 8 man chairs and 20 man funitels is that they hoon loads of folks up to the top of the hill very efficiently. The problem is that all these folks then need to come down again. The runs in the Espace san Bernado are quieter in half term and Easter than the slopes of the 3v and Paradiski are in the middle of January. it is bliss. Apres plays no part in our family holidays but I am lead to believe that there are a couple of decent bars, but thats it.

To sum up: IMHO its a great place to holiday. It is a whole world away from Paradiski, Espace Killy, 3V etc. Its better for some things, its worse for others. What it is is someting a bit different. Without the link to Italy it would hardly be worth a visit. This is the key to its charms. There are many similar charming small French resorts, but they don't have Italy. Some think it bland and unchallenging, I think its great.

Will I return every year for the rest of my skiing life - No Way. Will I return for a 4th visit - most definitely. One final thing; the 2 new 6 man chairs that went in in 04-05 were put in to serve development. The Les Eurcherts area is being quite heavily developed and this may make things busier and reduce the charm.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think La Rosiere would be well suited to what you are looking for. The advanced couple may find that they prefer to spend a bit more of their time on the Italian side of the domain where there is more of the steeper terrain, but everyone in your group should have some skiing they enjoy. There are a few more drag lifts in in La Ros/La Thuile than Courchevel or Les Arcs, but you wont have to spend all week on them as there are other types of lift as well.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pokemon, did you read this thread Is La Rosiere all that it is cracked up to be?

Which I think was in general a balanced summary of the situation there snowHead .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks to all the above. Good food for thought. Will need to discuss with the others in our party.

Ray Zorro, thanks for that link, I'd not seen that thread
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ray Zorro, Maybe you should make that thread a sticky Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did a whole season in La Rosiere, skiied 5 days a week and never got bored - lots of easily accessible, and relatively safe-off piste as well
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spindrift, Very Happy snowHead That seems to be the message from seasonaires that I have spoken to.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy