Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late March and easy reach from Geneva???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Way-hey,,, I have a second trip planed this year.
Have booked flights for a 4 day trip 23rd to 27th March. To Geneva. Short time but all I can manage.
Looking for suggestions for a resort with easy driving distance, and obviously good record of snow for late March, was looking at St Gervais/St Bettex or Chamonix would these suit? This will be only my 3rd ski trip so still a beginner. Also I will have a confirmed non skiing partner with me so it would have to have a good ambiance for them.
All suggestions and comments apresiated
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
newbie45, either would suit your criteria. Neither St Gervais nor Chamonix has had a great winter so far, but anything could happen by late March. Chamonix has the greater range of options skiing-wise, but the skiing areas are quite spread out. There's plenty of terrain that's just right for a 3-week skier at St Gervais, not least the various Bettex runs. Personally, I think than St Gervais has the greater charm for a non-skier.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Villars is nice for someone around your level, and you can get the train there too!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
laundryman, with the obvious caveat that I have a vested interest...and honest, I'm not going all defensive wink

Chamonix has had a good (maybe not very great, but where has?) winter so far. Remember that almost all of the skiing is above 2,000m. In comparison, most of St Gervais is, AFAIK below 2,000m. You can't compare the two.

Also, given that the Grands Montets plans to close on May 8th, it's about as good a bet as you can get for late season skiing.

It's also a good place for a non-skier - can't comment on St Gervais charm myself - I can imagine it being very nice.

For a 3 weeks skier though you would probably really want La Balme to be in good shape but again, it's mostly above 1,800m, soooo...

One could also look at Avoriaz, although not so great for non-skier, Flaine (Samoens?), Verbier?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Murdoch, fair points. I do think St Gervais is nicer to stroll around though! From memory, Mt Joly goes up to 2,300m - not in the Aiguille du Midi bracket, obviously!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers for the Info lads much apresiated,
I have just spent a couple of hours looking for hotels, and most are only taking bookings Sat to Sat for 7 nights, or are in the mega money league. However, have narrowed down a couple and awaiting responces from many.
One of them is the Hotel Chris-tal in Les Houches, anybody heard of it or can anyone tell me about Les Houches?
Thanks
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For beginners or intermediates you might want to look a bit further up the valley from St Gervais at Les Contamines, a lovely little French village with a good ski area and lots of confidence boosting pistes, try the website www.lescontamines.com they have loads of accomodation on there. Snow record is very good, even in this 'poor' year they have nearly every run open (and have had since they opened for the season) and have a fantastic late season record. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
newbie45, at a pinch you can also ski St Gervais from Les Houches: the two are linked by a mountain railway. pitchski is right about Les Contamines: it's in a fantastic setting and the snow always seems to hold up well there.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi,

I went to St Gervais last year and wouldn't recommend it - poor snow, not convenient, too sunny/slushy. I've said it before and I'll say it again, LA CLUSAZ!!

Close to Geneva, always good snow when we go. Good variety of runs, Not too expensive.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep, I think La Clusaz or Les Contamines would be better for you as a 3 week skier than Chamonix, which can really be quite intimidating for less expert skiers (yes, I know La Tour is fine, and Les Houches, but they are miles apart, opposite end of the valley, and the whole ambiance of the place is a bit tough and macho. Not too sunny down in the valley, either. I like St Gervais as a town, a real spa, but it's certainly not that convenient for the skiing.

You could look at Megeve. Easy one hour drive from Geneva. The skiing is not high, but should be still OK in March and the town has a charming pedestrian centre, some great window shopping (lock up the credit card) and range of restaurants (some of which need to be avoided unless you are up for spending several hundred pounds on a single meal...). The skiing is mostly quite gentle and well groomed and there are a range of walks for non skiers, as well as horse drawn sleighs and an attractive, if rather well heeled, French atmosphere. It doesn't have to cost you a fortune, though accommodation for less than a week is always a problem in France. I personally love the skiing at Les Contamines but the village itself is not too exciting for a non skier, frankly.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Aren't some of these suggestions a little low for late March ? Not that it couldn't be cold then and perfectly good low down but I think I'd want the insurance of somewhere with a decent bit of 2000m or above skiing.

Maybe the PdS with easy access to the Avoriaz/Les Crosets high level bit so Morzine or Champéry perhaps ? ... or Verbier is only an hour and a half or so from GVA ?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian, but the PDS links are low, and though I have never been to Verbier I understand most of the skiing is rather challenging? Trouble is with places like Val Thorens and Tignes is that they're miserable places for non skiers. I think you'd be unlucky not to get good skiing in Megeve on 23 March, though possibly little snow at resort level (though last year, of course, it was laden, like the rest of us). They're horse drawn carts, of course, not sleighs, slip of the mouse.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
newbie45, I went to La Thuile for a short break in April, an easy run from Geneva through the Mont Blanc Tunnel. Equally, a bit further on and there is Aosta/Pila or if things are really bad, then Cervinia isn't too far (you can't get much higher than that).

I've not been to Pila, but heard good things about it, but have been to La Thuile and Cervinia and both of them would be good for you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Crans Montana? Has a glacier, and is a decent size town for non-skiers. Certainly a good resort for cruisy reds.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
pam w, Verbier does have lots of challenging skiing but lots of cruisers too. The link to the rest of the 4Vs is tough (Tortin) but there's more than enough skiing in Verbier's own 2 areas to keep a 3rd trip skier going for 4 days.

The PdS has some uncommonly low bits but again I'd have thought the main Avoriaz bowl plus the Swiss side above Les Crosets and Champoussin would provide a big high-ish area of more than enough for 4 days.

Elizabeth B, faces due south though. If you're going as far as C-M there are some much nicer (imo) villages across the Rhone wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy