Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to ski in Scotland?

Poster: A snowHead
Potentially I'll be in Glasgow visiting family for the best part of a week in mid-February. Obviously I know conditions could change a lot until then but the good time they seem to be having up there has got me thinking about squeezing in a cheeky day or two of skiing. Will have probably have a car while I'm there.

Where would you recommend and why?

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tirol, Nearest is Glen Coe about one and a half hours drive, after that you have Nevis Range just after Fort William. All depends on snow conditions, these two are the nearest. Cairn Gorm and Glenshee are a good bit further away.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glencoe is the closest to Glasgow at around 80miles drive

Use this website to keep upto date with the weather and conditions http://ski.visitscotland.com/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
given more or less comparable snow conditions which is considered to better Glencoe or Nevis Range? Don't mind driving a little further to Nevis Range if it's worth it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nevis seems to be a bit better at the moment but they're both good from what I hear.

To be honest the Ski-Scotland website is a bit of a waste of time, to get a real picture of what's going on and to ask questions and chat the best places by far are Winterhighland and Highland Instinct - you should find expert advice there as well as up-to-date pictures and reports from the slopes.

Enjoy Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Glasgow has an airport doen't it? I think they do flights there to all sorts of alpine desitnatons. Slip away while eveyone.s shopping, fly to, say, Salzburg, jump in a cab to Saalbach or Zell, ski all day, get out on the lash, up early the follownig morning and back to the airport for the flight home. If you're lucky nobody will even notice you've been missing for 36 hours!! I learned to ski at cairngorm 20 years ago and made a vow.... never again
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^ I appreciate it takes dedication and a true love of the mountains (not just in sunny weather, on overdeveloped pistes and with little effort needed from the skiier) but Scotland can be marvellous thanks very much.

Why not take your cold water over to Saltzburg and pour it somewhere there - might even turn into snow if you throw it up in the air - have they got any yet? Evil or Very Mad

P.S. Glasgow being one of the larger cities in the UK does indeed have an airport - top marks for general knowledge too!

Tirol, I'd suggest you ignore people like this and make up your own mind.
snow report
 brian
brian
Sage wrote:
Nearest is Glen Coe about one and a half hours drive, after that you have Nevis Range just after Fort William. All depends on snow conditions, these two are the nearest. Cairn Gorm and Glenshee are a good bit further away.

Actually you could do Glasgow to Glenshee a good bit quicker than Nevis I would've thought. Cairngorm might well be quicker as well, the A9 is pretty quick (if not very safe) whereas there is serious risk of getting stuck behind soemthing sloooooow on the A82.

If you go at a reasonable pace I would say from Glasgow:

Glencoe - 1 hr 30
Glenshee - 2 hrs
Nevis & Cairngorm 2 hr 30

Given ideal conditions, all 4 have some brilliant skiing. At the moment Nevis or Glencoe would be your best bet but that could easily change in a couple of weeks.

I'd wait until a couple of days before, the weather can be vastly different between say Glencoe and Glenshee even though they're probably less than 100 miles apart.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tirol,

I wil try some advice Very Happy . These are all my own opinions, but I started skiing in scotland in 1979:

Lecht : nice, compact, beginners area, has had great snow record, high, and pain to get to from glasgow.

Glehshee: probably th elargest skiable area, spread over 3 valleys, so plenty of space to ski , several good cafes, lifts are looking dated now - the tiger chair ( if it is still there has been going since 1960's). Good skiing on tiger and cairn oasda side, but no huge challenges. Still a pain from glasgow.

Cairgorm: Newish funicular has made getting uphill nicer. Ptarmigain restaurant is good. large skiiable area if cover is good, but the west wall lifts don't run any more and if there is full cover that was the best skiing. Having said that the white lady run when it gets good moguls is an excellent run, and a good place to show of you skills Very Happy . About 2:15 from glasgow.

Glencoe: The closest to glasgow. When snow cover is very good you can ski a lot of lines down most of a very large mountain. With lesser snow cover still lots of interest and challenges. The wildest feel of all the places in scotland. On hill facilities limted compared to others, and old lifts. Piste marking "restrained". For me on a good day glencoe is just a stunning , unrestricted place to ski , but you need some mountain sense. 1:40 mins from glasgow.

Nevis: Newest . High, large area with good facilities ( nice restaurant). Skiing the back corries is fabulous. Even if "pisted" finding a nice entry over the cornice lip is always good. Similar to glencoe in that if cover is good you can ski the whole hillside.

Skiing in scotland is different the weather is less important ( except for wind speed) there is a spirit of goodwill pervading. The queues are places to chat. And when it is good it is very , very good. Hope you get a good weather window! Enjoy!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Given that a a snowboarder I hate drag lifts, my choice in the past has been Cairgorms. I could get the funicular up and board down the M1 run back to the bottom.

I am considering travelling to one of the areas this Sunday, but wondered if any other boarders have any thoughts on which is the most snowboard friendly resort?
latest report
 brian
brian
stevepick wrote:
the tiger chair ( if it is still there has been going since 1960's).

Yep, you even get the delights of a safety bar nowadays! The tiger tow doesn't run any more though, seemingly for health and safety reasons because of the steepness of the uptrack rolling eyes

Quote:

but the west wall lifts don't run any more and if there is full cover that was the best skiing.

West wall poma still runs so you can ski all of the west wall and nearly all of the ciste gulley. East wall can leave you a bit low and needing a wee walk now though. Sadly the Aonach poma is history so you can only ski the top part of the Aonach bowl.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
roga, Oh relax pal... no offence intended and all very tongue in cheek... But, on a serious note, I did learn to ski in Scotland 20 years ago. Was there for 2 weeks and of the 14 days managed 8 days actual skiing on ice and slush in cold weather. The lifts were closed for the other 6 days due to high winds, and we went home early on 2 of the 8 days cos it was goddamned freezing... my mates 7 yr old daughter was blown UP a blue run... the "mountain retaurants" were atrocious, and I use the term mountain retaurants very loosely. The was little or no "resort atmosphere" in Aviemore, the slopes were a 15-20 minute drive from our cottage in Grantown on Spey to which it took me just about as long to drive to from Nottingham as it does to get to a large number of Alpine Resorts. Also, I'm fully aware that Glasgow has a very nice airport having used it many times on business.

As for "sunny weather, over developed pistes and little effort required from the skier" in Europe.... try the top of La Grave or the Valluga in minus 35 degrees, or a whiteout on the Col du Gentiane. In fact, put your hand on your heart and tell me that any of these descents require "little effort from the skier". Anyone who's been skiing in Europe will know that the weather can range from "summeresque" to "Arctic", that resorts are busier in school holidays, and that some years are better for snow than others. Anyone who's skied at all will know that there are demanding descents in every resort for every grade of skier, and most people who've skied Scotland AND various Alpine Resorts in Europe will probably appreciate that, whilst it may have a certain appeal in terms of it's location for people who live within a couple of hours drive, it really can't compare to European Resorts in any department - resort ambience, extent of terrain, quality of snow, lift network, resort ambience, apres ski, variety of accommodation etc etc etc.

If Scotland is "your bag" Rog, then good luck to you, and you're welcome to it mate. Personally, and it is only my opinion, I think Europe has so much more to offer and is a much more pleasurable experience for a "holiday", which is after all why i go skiing. Fine for a weekend or day trip if you're local or happen to be in the area (like Tirol), but for me it doesn't appeal for a week or more's holiday, in fact it doesn't appeal at all.... ever.....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Scotland AND various Alpine Resorts in Europe will probably appreciate that, whilst it may have a certain appeal in terms of it's location for people who live within a couple of hours drive, it really can't compare to European Resorts in any department - resort ambience, extent of terrain, quality of snow, lift network, resort ambience, apres ski, variety of accommodation etc etc etc.

Quite possibly true, although this thread is not about Scotland V's Europe, it was Tirol asking which Scottish resorts were best because he had the opportunity to go to one. Skiing in Scotland is better than no skiing at all.

I've had some great skiing in Scotland and some very poor, it's just you luck.

snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've never skiied in Scotland (other than a bit of cross country in the Cheviots years ago) and am considering a trip lin ate Feb after I have been to Serre Chevalier. I have been looking at the piste maps. Am I right in thinking there are a fair number of T bar lifts? I haven't used a T bar for many years - the last time being a school ski trip to St Michael in Austria and I never got on with them very well then. Is it possible to avoid them? I'd hate to make a complete fool of myself all weekend if I can help it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SnowGod wrote:
roga, Oh relax pal... no offence intended and all very tongue in cheek...

I'm sure my tongue was in my cheek as much as yours was.
Quote:
But, on a serious note, I did learn to ski in Scotland 20 years ago. Was there for 2 weeks and of the 14 days managed 8 days actual skiing on ice and slush in cold weather. The lifts were closed for the other 6 days due to high winds, and we went home early on 2 of the 8 days cos it was goddamned freezing... my mates 7 yr old daughter was blown UP a blue run... the "mountain retaurants" were atrocious, and I use the term mountain retaurants very loosely. The was little or no "resort atmosphere" in Aviemore, the slopes were a 15-20 minute drive from our cottage in Grantown on Spey to which it took me just about as long to drive to from Nottingham as it does to get to a large number of Alpine Resorts.

Indeed, so you made a bad call in booking your accomodation (anyone knows Grantown is miles away especially if they look at a map rolling eyes ), you were unlucky and got bad weather which happens everywhere (although it's true to say Scotland has more than it's fair share of mist and high winds at some times of the year) and you obviously didn't do you homework about where to go in Aviemore and missed the Winking Owl and other well known venues.

Quote:
Also, I'm fully aware that Glasgow has a very nice airport having used it many times on business.

Indeed.
Quote:
As for "sunny weather, over developed pistes and little effort required from the skier" in Europe.... try the top of La Grave or the Valluga in minus 35 degrees, or a whiteout on the Col du Gentiane. In fact, put your hand on your heart and tell me that any of these descents require "little effort from the skier". Anyone who's been skiing in Europe will know that the weather can range from "summeresque" to "Arctic", that resorts are busier in school holidays, and that some years are better for snow than others. Anyone who's skied at all will know that there are demanding descents in every resort for every grade of skier, and most people who've skied Scotland AND various Alpine Resorts in Europe will probably appreciate that, whilst it may have a certain appeal in terms of it's location for people who live within a couple of hours drive, it really can't compare to European Resorts in any department - resort ambience, extent of terrain, quality of snow, lift network, resort ambience, apres ski, variety of accommodation etc etc etc.

Now I think you really need to relax - you'll burst a blood vessel going on like that! rolling eyes

You seem to think this is some sort of Scotland v Europe thread and have tried to make it into one - it's not and you're frankly behaving like a stroppy kid and not offering any useful advice on the subject of the thread at all.

Yeah, anyone and everyone knows that Europe has fantastic places to ski but seeing as you now seem to be saying the weather can be almost as fickle as you say it is in Scotland and just as hard/remote then I really don't see what your point is apart from trying to score off-topic points.

Anyone IMHO judging all resorts in a country on the basis of the brief experience of a beginner (as you apparently were then) 20 years ago really deserves to be ignored. You had a bad experience two decades ago in bad weather on Cairngorm, how exactly does that equate to Nevis or Glencoe in the next couple of weeks?

FYI, I learnt to ski in Scotland more (much more!) than 20 years ago, I lived near Aviemore, and I can say hand on heart you can get days like you describe but you can also get fantastic conditions and stunning skiing, it varies from day to day and from resort to resort. Here, as you may have missed, we're discussing the west coast resorts, Glancoe and Nevis range nowadays not Cairngorm in the east 20 years ago! rolling eyes
Quote:
If Scotland is "your bag" Rog, then good luck to you, and you're welcome to it mate. Personally, and it is only my opinion, I think Europe has so much more to offer and is a much more pleasurable experience for a "holiday", which is after all why i go skiing. Fine for a weekend or day trip if you're local or happen to be in the area (like Tirol), but for me it doesn't appeal for a week or more's holiday, in fact it doesn't appeal at all.... ever.....

Yawn, I rather think you've made that blatantly obvious and I'm sure no tears will be shed by skiiers in Scotland at your absence - if you want to keep the blinkers on and diss anything you don't like because you had one bad holiday decades ago go ahead but you really don't have to try and convert everyone to your rather unbalanced POV, particularly when it's plainly off topic!
snow report
Soozy, T-bars feature pretty heavily in Scotland and there's no getting away from that! Glenshee is probably the least T-barred (Can't say about the Lecht - never been) of them all, excepting the Carn Aosda T-bar.
Come on, you're a grown-up - you can handle it!! wink
If you're a bit shaky about it, just tell the liftie and he'll slow it down for you as you get on, and/or put you on with someone who's a bit more experienced. Contrary to popular belief, it's easier to go up a t-bar in pairs than it is alone, as the bar isn't continually trying to escape from the clutches of your backside.
Just get on, relax, and let it pull you along. If you try to lean forwards it will unseat you, so lean back into it, and let the lift do the work.
Piece of cake! Very Happy
snow report
 brian
brian
Soozy,

Nevis - yes, you'd be pretty stuck without being able to use warrens or the goose t-bars.

However ....

Glenshee - Sunnyside is all pomas, Cairnwell side has 3 t-bars but you can get at most of the skiing from poma or chair
Glencoe - 2 t-bars but if the top button and cliffhanger chair are on you'd be fine without them.
Cairngorm - all the good skiing can be got at from funicular and M1 and west wall pomas
Lecht - all pomas plus 1 chair

... so don't let it put you off !
ski holidays
brian, quite so. I think I may have over-egged the pudding a bit. Embarassed
snow report
roga,

Quote:

You seem to think this is some sort of Scotland v Europe thread and have tried to make it into one - it's not and you're frankly behaving like a stroppy kid and not offering any useful advice on the subject of the thread at all.

Nope... not at all Rog me old mucker... I simply dropped in a light hearted comment and you took it upon yourself to appear mortally offended and subsequently set off on some sort of crusade to defend Scottish ski resorts to the hilt from down there in the good old west country. I wasn't even going to dignify your OTT response with a reply, as my post was merely a little joke (a wasted one at that it now appears!) but in the end I just couldn't help myself wink, instantly recognising the fun I might have with such an apparent zealot!!! So it proved, with the insults flowing like fine wine....

I'm most certainly not trying to convert anyone to anything... I'll leave that to you tiger... careful though, 'cos if you're successful in converting the masses from the Alps and Rockies to Scotland, then you'll have a big queue for that T Bar on Cairngorm before you know it, then you may find yourself freezing half to death in the queue wink (Before I get a letter from you lawyers, that too was a joke...)

I'd add, for what it's worth, that my opinion is not just based on my own experience. I'm actually open minded enough to take lots of other peoples opinions on board and have done just that over many years with regard to Scottish ski resorts, so no blinkers on there sweetie. Like I said before, in my opinion, (to which I am entitled), Scotland's fine for locals or if you happen to be in the area, and I've got nothing against the place. If your opinion is different then that's good rog, and please accept my heart felt congratulations for having one. Anyway, must dash... I'm off to preach about the merits of skiing in Salzburgerland to a delegation of Air Conditioning Salesmen over on a conference from Ohio. Ciao.
latest report
SnowGod, there's a couple of us here commented on your off-topic posts and it's quite unecessary.

If you want to start a thread specifically on this Scotland v Europe thing go ahead, it could be of interest although I think it's a bit silly to counterpose one to the other.

I note that you're now using the 'I was only joking' get out ruse, which is fine and you're not the first to do so - ho, ho!

In the meantime let us get on with a consructive discussion and you go sun yourself in Austria lovie and I'll try to go and freeze in a lift queue sometime... should be lovely. Wink

Tara Laughing
ski holidays
roga, Your ramblings absolutely confound me.... Puzzled Have a little flick back through your own posts Rog ... pot, kettle, black and all that... you haven't actually mentioned a single solitary thing to do with tirols thread in your god knows how many lines of text, and yet you go on and on about telling me to stop posting stuff not relevant to the thread!!! Now in my book, that nothing short of total hypocracy... Maybe it's time to climb down off that giant soap box, stop telling other people what they can and can't do and book some "humour" classes. It was a joke Rog... that's J...O...K...E.... Look it up....noun.... "a statement made or short story told in order to cause amusement". Bored now.... going out to fly me whippets... You can have the last word...Mwah...
ski holidays
^ erm I think you've missed the fifth post in the thread, that's the one where I stay on topic and answer some of Tirol's questions, like what you haven't done... ever .... at all ... it's always a good idea to actually read a thread before posting and/or telling someone what they have or haven't done - presumably all part of the humourous repartee though - go for it tiger Laughing

My excuse for the rest was that your hilarious 'humour' was in danger of giving a totally unbalanced view of Scottish skiing, a subject you obviously know little about, and what little you think you know is a couple of decades out of date mate. NehNeh

So, apologies Tirol and everyone else for my 'encouraging' the lovely SnowGod in taking the thread off topic, hope you agree there was some justification and I did get some exercise climbing onto that soapbox Wink

Anyway, after all that nonsense I'll try to make a useful contribution again by saying that I read over on Winterhighland that the weather isn't looking that great over the weekend at Nevis with winds forecast but conditions permitting they plan to open the Braveheart Chair in the back corries which is a rare event at this time of year. More info here

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 26-01-07 21:51; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SnowGod, I actually thought your post was rather offensive too. If tongue in cheek you need less invective and more winky smilies. rolling eyes rolling eyes wink wink wink

I'm not going to get drawn into the argument though - my views on Scottish skiing are well know (especially as The Lecht features as one of my 5 all time fave places to ski). Really!!
ski holidays
Quote:

The Lecht features as one of my 5 all time fave places to ski

That's the only resort in Scotland where I have never skied - it always seemed too far away.

snowHead
latest report
easiski, Fair point re the smilies etc easiski. Very Happy I'll bear that in mind in future. As for the initial post being "offensive", I fail to see how a ski resort (or group of resorts) can be offended, and the post doesn't mention any individual? Puzzled I can't help it if Rog had a sense of humour failure and spat his dummy out over a light hearted comment ... You'd think he'd got his life savings invested in "Ski Scotland" wink . Each to their own though... takes all sorts and we're all entitled to our oinions, and also entitled to have a bit of a laugh as long as it's not at the expense of others, which my initial post wasn't in the slightest. Anyone reading this thread wouldn't think we were entitled to a point of view, and we clearly aren't supposed ot crack the odd joke. .... No doubt Rog'll come back with some rant or other to put me right again but what the heck...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the info on the lifts. In the past, getting on wasn't a problem. It was generally falling off about 3/4 of the way up and then having to climb over big mounds of snow. I guess I'll have to be "grown up" and face my fears. Also excuse my ignorance - are pomas button lifts?
latest report
Snowgod quote:

Quote:

..entitled to have a bit of a laugh as long as it's not at the expense of others

Quote:
Glasgow has an airport doen't it?

Quote:
I learned to ski at cairngorm 20 years ago and made a vow.... never again

Quote:
Scotland's fine for locals..

Snowgod you come across as taking the Mick out of Scotland, whether intentional, or not. You can't write Scotland off after only one trip to one resort 20 years ago.

snowHead
ski holidays
Oh my god... not you as well.... please please please please understand..... IT WAS A LIGHT HEARTED COMMENT... nothing more, nothing less. I perosnally have no desire to ski in Scotland again. This view, which I'm entitled to, is based on my own experience (and yes... it was 20 years ago... but so what, it was MY experience) and conversations with many other people I know who have skied there at various resorts at various times of year. I'm not saying that nobody else should go.... That's their choice. I'm not taking the mick out of Scotland. I do believe that due to the highly changable nature of the weather it is a lot easier for people who live a couple of hours drve away to ensure they go when conditions are at their best, hence the "fine for locals etc " comment. This is a view held by many and in fact published by people far more knowledgable on the subject than myself, through their own personal experiences and those of others. If I want to "wrtie off Scotland" as a prospective destination for me, then that's my right. I simply prefer The Alps, just the same as one might prefer peas to carrots after only one taste of both.... I feel that some of you are chosing to take my comments out of context and ignore the fact that I've said now on numerous ocasions that mt first post was a "light hearted comment" and a "joke". If you like skiing Scotland then great.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sage wrote:
Quote:

The Lecht features as one of my 5 all time fave places to ski

That's the only resort in Scotland where I have never skied - it always seemed too far away.

snowHead

It is a fair step from glasgow! I just love the complete heath robinson-ness of the place. The lack of infrastructure, the dinky cafe .... short lifts, not a lot of pistes, it's true, but shedloads of character. Not as stunning views as Glen coe though, not wide pistes and big back bowls like Nevis, not steep couloirs like Cairngorm (never skied Glenshee) - but kind of cute and cuddly! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
SnowGod, OK fair enough.

snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:

...but kind of cute and cuddly!

Never heard of a resort described like that Very Happy You make it sound so nice, you should be writing for VisitScotland wink .

snowHead
ski holidays
easiski, my first ever steps on snow were at Lecht - I loved the place. Stayed in Tomintoul.
latest report
We could start a "The Lecht for PM" thread - I'm sure the skilifts would do a better job than the current one!!!

Sage, We used to go whenever we were winded off Cairngorm - take all the peeps in a bus - bril! You can stop for a coffee on the way to Aberdeen too as the cafe is always open - I hear they've got go-carts - the only Scottish ski area to have snowmaking - Go the Lecht I say!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Soozy, you'll manage I'm sure wink
Poma are a French lift company and make everything from rope tows to cable cars, but for some reason the Scots refer to single seat button lifts as poma's. As a rule, they're made by Poma (or Poma's great-grandad - they're old and smelly enough, indeed the one on Meall Odhar at Glenshee actually burst into flames while I was on it last year, which was exciting), and I suppose its marginally better than "button lift", inasmuch as it doesn't take so long to read for the Polish chaps who operate them.
Before I get flayed alived, I'll just say that I love Scottish skiing like I love Shrewsbury Town FC. Depressingly mediocre for 95% of the time, but then one day you beat Everton in the third round of the cup, and its the best place on the planet.
A good day in Scotland ranks with the best of them, not least because you really, really want it to. When Glencoe delivers with fresh powder and blue skies, and you're stood on the top of the main basin looking out over Rannoch Moor, you realise you've just wet your pants with joy.
snow report
easiski wrote:
It is a fair step from glasgow! I just love the complete heath robinson-ness of the place. The lack of infrastructure, the dinky cafe .... short lifts, not a lot of pistes, it's true, but shedloads of character. Not as stunning views as Glen coe though, not wide pistes and big back bowls like Nevis, not steep couloirs like Cairngorm (never skied Glenshee) - but kind of cute and cuddly! Very Happy Very Happy

LOL, I like your description and kinda recognise what you mean, it's a funny little place.

SnowGod, light hearted or not there's a few people now who've said they didn't find it funny - perhaps you'll just have to acept the 'joke' backfired. BTW, I have a fine sense of humour thanks, I just dislike innapropriate and insensitive remarks which was what I read in your post - I think easiski's description of your post as "invective" was well chosen.

For the record I think easiski and myself are agreed (judging from our posts on another thread) that Scotland is perhaps not the best place for beginners. To be honest I think paulmck's description of Scotland above is pretty damned accurate - you either love it or hate it and often you can love it and hate it at the same time. I'm bloody minded enough to be rather fond of it but it dosn't blind me to it's inadequacies, however when I'm in Europe there are aspects of Scottish sking I miss dreadfully (and it's certainly not the weather!). The friendliness of the locals just can't be beaten (well perhaps the USA or Canada can compete but I'm not sure about that... will have a better idea in a couple of weeks time though.. Very Happy ). When I'm in the Alps I really miss that aspect of Scottish skiing, getting in a lift queue in France for example seems rather more like being on the tube in London - urgh! There's a unique atmosphere and a unique mix of activities that only Scotland can provide as well as a wilderness to the slopes and terrain that I find exhilerating, although I am aware there are wild places in Europe too, but the Alps overall is so overdeveloped it's silly whereas Scotland has a remoteness that's very, very different and perhaps only comparable to Scandinavia - it's not for nothing that the highlands are one of the last great 'wildernesses' in Europe. However, it's not for everyone but most people who don't particularly like it for skiing are, in my experience, more than willing to admit its positives too.

Anyway, it's somewhere IMHO that everyone in the UK who skis should try at least once or twice, preferably once they're past beginner stage, you're not a 'real' skiier until you've skied Scotland if you ask me Wink Laughing

paulmck, thanks for the point about Poma, I'm one of those poeple who grew up calling button lifts Pomas and I can't kick the habit, now I know I'm wrong... but I still prefer to call 'em Pomas rolling eyes wink
snow report
roga wrote:

For the record I think easiski and myself are agreed (judging from our posts on another thread) that Scotland is perhaps not the best place for beginners. To be honest I think paulmck's description of Scotland above is pretty damned accurate - you either love it or hate it and often you can love it and hate it at the same time.

Roga

I don't agree about learning to ski in scotland. Most of my skiing friends learnt up here. The Lecht is in many ways a perfect place to start skiing. gentle , small slopes, easy lifts to handle and lifties who seem to pick up on peoples ability to handle the tow. Cairngorm has beginers runs at the top of the hill - but that's a step from the funicular top station so access is easy for starter skiing. This is not a macho thing ( my wife, several ex girlfriends, and female friends all learned to ski in scotland) but skiing in scotland develops your skiing in a way that is very beneficial to your general skiing ability, firstly weaather is not such a deterent - one of the best days I had skiing in courchevel was when the resort was closed by wind. We ( scottish skiers one and all) merily took the ski bus from le praz 1350 up to courchevel 1850 alll day and skied the jockeys black run - which we had to ourselves, and since it is tree lined was completely unaffected by the weather. Many people find conditions other than nicely groomed slopes something to be avoided - you often don't have a choice in Scotland so a ski the mountan ethic pervades and people ski the snow wether it is boiler plate ice, corduroy,slush or sugar it means you handle different snow conditions sooner and I think develop better for it. General mountain skills also develop - skiing in low vis really doesn't bother me ,I learnt mountain sense ( ie where to go and how to stay on a run) at an early age in glenshee, and skiing by feel is better learnt earlier than later in your ski career. I feel the upshot is that if you learn't to ski in Scotland you will almost invariably get more out of your skiing anywhere else in the world. And yes it is a very friendly place to ski.

Steve
latest report
 brian
brian
easiski wrote:
the only Scottish ski area to have snowmaking - Go the Lecht I say!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Glenshee has some cannons too, enough to cover the Claybokie poma, I'd guess about 400m long ?

The folk that run the Lecht have a great attitude, if they can find a way to run the lifts, be it by some strategic snow farming or patching with mobile cannon then they will. They are also, iirc, the only Scottish ski centre that makes any money.

It may be cute and cuddly but it has the one of the gnarliest access roads (from the Aberdeen side) anywhere !

Some photos from the Lecht here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=283880
snow report
 brian
brian
paulmck, I've always called the tows with the long metal bars that detach from the cable and go in a stack, pomas (see pic below), and other button lifts with a short bar that stay fixed on the cable, buttons.

ski holidays
stevepick,
Quote:

I feel the upshot is that if you learn't to ski in Scotland you will almost invariably get more out of your skiing anywhere else in the world.

Couldn't agree more, I had some great times in Scottish resorts when I was learning to ski Very Happy

snowHead
latest report
stevepick, I think all of your points are really good - I learnt in Scotland too BTW.

I guess what I should say is that I have some hesitation recomending it unreservedly for beginners, particularly kids, but even that is a dreadful generalisation. As you say The Lecht is an excellent place to learn, and given I'm kinda generalising on the basis of my widest experience being on Cairngorm I really should say Caingorm isn't IMHO necessarily the best place for beginners but it can be fine.

My fault for not being as clear as I should have been and falling into the trap of overgeneralising.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy