Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much fresh snow in the Vanoise?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Meteo Fance's automatic weather station at La Plagne (at 3,000m) is showing the snow depth went from 90cm to approximately 270cm with yesterday's snowfall. Is that some sort of glitch - although a good fall of snow was forecast for yesterday, is it possible than 180cm of new snow accumulated in that part of the Vanoise?

Meteo data for the La Plagne station here.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar,

I would say that there is a degree of "marketting in that number

http://www.lesarcs.com/article.php3?id_article=30

Les arcs site is giving numbers up to around 30cm of new snow - Maybe someone has built a 130cm tall snowman on top of the automatice weather station
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i checked that site this morning and it said 130cm,be nice if it was 270 though
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, The resorts all seem to have gone into 'hype' overload. In a strange way understandable given the awful January most of them and their workers have had. There seems to be a massive media drive today to generate awareness in France of the skiing conditions (although most really only need to look out of their windows !)

The same is true down South with many 'resorts' apparently overstating numbers ( I say that based upon my wife's work conversations this morning where it is the topic of conversation, apparently those living 'in resort' are saying depths are being doubled! )
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, SAP are saying 130cm's here:
http://www.la-plagne.com/php/bulletin-neige-SAP-vEN.php
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kieran and Agenterre, I thought the Meteo station at La Plagne was automatic, so not sure if it can be accused of hype. A rogue reading perhaps, rather than deliberate mis-information?

notverygoodatskiing, an increase of 40cm seems much more in line with reported snowfalls elsewhere in the region.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
These are the average depths in cm for the Vanoise from Meteo France observations this am.
Code:

Exp:     North  Flat   South
Meters
0900:    15       15      14 
1200:    19       19      19   
1500:    39       34      21
1800:    57       52      35
2100:    77       70      47
2400:   141      133     110
2700:   167      158     139
3000:   192      187     172
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof is that total snow depth rather than fresh? Prob a dumb question Embarassed but over a metre of fresh at high altitudes sounds like a lot of fun! snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks davidof. Do you know what the figure is for fresh snow in the last 24 hours? I'd like to see how accurate the local and GFS-based forecasters were.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
I thought the Meteo station at La Plagne was automatic, so not sure if it can be accused of hype. A rogue reading perhaps, rather than deliberate mis-information?

Looks that way to me.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Am in Les Arcs and if those figures haven't been doubled or tripled in some instances ,even with current snowfall i'll take up snowblading!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
Thanks davidof. Do you know what the figure is for fresh snow in the last 24 hours? I'd like to see how accurate the local and GFS-based forecasters were.

Remember that locally there may be more or less snow at the same altitude but one snow profile I saw showed 35 cm at 2400 m in the Vanoise and there was an average of 23mm of rain over the region and 24mm over the Haute-Tarentaise so somewhere like les Arcs may have a couple of cm more snow than say, Courchevel.

I originally said 30-50cm on Friday but hedged this down to 35cm on Monday based on what I 'd read in the various forecasts.

Quote:

It will turn colder over the course of today (Monday) with 5-10cm Tuesday and 10-20cm on Wednesday so about 35cm total.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi just spent the day trying out all this new powder. Really fun but would say 20 -30cm max in Les Arcs depending on the slope and if it had the wind on it. Top runs on glacier and grand col not open so hard to say how much above 2500m is really there. Hope to let you know tomorrow if they open the higher lifts.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowcrazy, ....... Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy