Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

masive snow for next week!!

Poster: A snowHead
Dammit. That showed me, huh? The mighty snow-forecast site (with its optimistic measurements of snowfall) shows this abundance of snow over the alps during the last 3 days:

Well that 10-25 cm that has, er, carpeted what looks like Northern Austria at a glance surely has them slapping their lederhosen in delight.

Still, never mind iloveskiing and your cronies... the NEXT 3 days will SURELY rescue your prediction, right?

Er... maybe not...

Hmmm... oooh look... a smattering of snow in Northern Italy and Austria... well, well, well... who'd have thought? Oh yeah, me... wink

Still, as we know, snow-forecast tends to be overly pessimistic on snowfall predictions, as we all know, right ( wink ) so there's still time for iloveskiing, aka mystic meg, to pull the bunny out of the hat...

*cracks open a Stella, leans back on virtual armchair to wait...*
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My Knee hurts, and always does when it's going to snow, i reckon Thursday 30cm. Just a stab in the dark i guess, we'll see friday morning. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Nah I reckon your a bit early it'll delay the dump to Saturday just to screw up transfer day for everyone Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

The mighty snow-forecast site (with its optimistic measurements of snowfall)

Actually, carled, I disagree with your characterisation of snow-forecast. The empirical evidence available to me (3 whole seasons now of watching it pretty closely) suggestes that it has mostly underestimated snowfall, sometimes significantly, including the dumps on 1/2 January and last Tuesday. I think this may be because of local factors which GFS doesn't take into account. Maybe because of the proximity of Mont Blanc and other aspects of the local topography the Beaufortain is a very snowy part of the Alps (which is why I bought an apartment here). Top of the ski area is only 2069 metres but we had 60cms on 1/2 January and 47cm last Tuesday night, both more than twice the levels predicted by snow forecast for Notre Dame de Bellecombe, our nearest resort featured on snow-forecast, and just a few miles away as the crow flies and 40 minutes on skis. We regularly have depths much greater than the Tarentaise at the same altitudes. The local tourist info certainly claims this to be true, and I think it is. GFS, and snow-forecast, are fairly blunt instruments, I suppose. But still better than a wild guess. Wild guesses, whether optimistic or pessimistic, are just pointless.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fair points Pam. There are always "snow pockets" dotted around (and the reverse is also true - Kitzbuehel by some cruel twist of fate almost always seems to miss out when the rest of the neighbouring resorts do well), but generally speaking (as has been further evidenced by your post) it's a mug's game trying to predict snowfall and I'm being ironic (in case some people haven't guessed!) in using snow-forecast as evidence for the upcoming few days.

However, as they claim to base their "snow actually fallen" figures on local weather station observations (local to who? dunno) I have to give them the benefit of the doubt that they are relatively accurate with what they've reported as having fallen. They're approximately right with the Garmisch Partenkirchen figure, so the rest is probably about right too.

However:

a·bun·dance (ə-bŭn'dəns) pronunciation
n.

1. A great or plentiful amount.
2. Fullness to overflowing: “My thoughts . . . are from the abundance of my heart” (Thomas De Quincey).
3. Affluence; wealth.
4. Chemistry. The amount of an isotope of an element that exists in nature, usually expressed as a percentage of the total amount of all isotopes of the element.

10-25cm... does that fit the bill and is the affected area "most of the alps"? Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I rest my case... for the time being... wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davejsy wrote:
Sage,

carled on this occasion (and several others), feels the need to rubbish other peoples posts, because they are in his mind stupid.

Maybe if he learned a bit of courtesy, and took a more constructive approach to his replies, then arguements/debates like this would not even happen.

Evil or Very Mad

To be fare look at Carled's first post on this thread, he was not the one to start the name calling. He may have been a bit curt in the way he said to ignore the thread title but he he made a valid point in why it should be ignored.

iloveskiing responded with the following:

Quote:
... thanks for your all know put down comments carled, they appear you as a sheep following the flock.

Who "took a more constructive approach" Puzzled

snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carled wrote:
people saying it will snow lots next week. It won't. A few drobs and drabs here and there, but no real dumpings in evidence at present.

Wrong!!!!

Check out Austria they have had a bit more than a few "drobs Very Happy and drabs". You really do move the goal posts to suit you don't you rolling eyes keep posting the models and don't bother to check in the real world, ie the resorts..

I bet those snowheads now skiing in Austria, parts of Germany and Switzerland were glad to get the light sprinkling you predicted Embarassed

Keep drinking your Stella (I always knew it was the beer talking Razz )
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
iloveskiing, you are "comical ali" the former Iraqi minister of (dis)information and I claim my £5...

Honestly... never let the facts get in the way of a pointless argument, eh? A few parts of Austria got small amounts of snow. If you think that what fell over the weekend constitutes "a dumping" let alone "an abundance" then you're plainly barking... or horrifically inexperienced in snowfall? I dunno... I suppose it comes down to what your expectations are.

Are we ever in danger of getting any hard and fast evidence from you, by the way? You seem to neatly skirt around the issue every time you're asked a straightforward question... (don't insult everyone's intelligence by playing dumb and asking "what questions...?") Any evidence of this abundant snow? Oh and as I keep saying and you keep ignoring... parts of Austria and virtually nowhere else getting between 10 and 25cm of snow over a three-day period does not, in anyone's book (except yours, it would appear), constitute an "abundance of snow in most of the alps..."

Keep going, you're doing a far better job of making yourself look foolish than I could ever hope to achieve... Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
carled, iloveskiing, this really is quite amusing guys and is keeping me from the pure unadulterated boredom of being stuck in a stuffy office in central Birmingham where no-one speaks to each other all through the day and will, rather, send me the odd email when I am merely 3 feet away from them! Puzzled This is comedy. I came back from Haute Savoie yesterday where I had a really good time in the snow that was there. Stuck now in these four walls Sad Must admit though, carled, your reports have been the ones that I have been looking at and have been straight to the point without being 'doom & gloom' or overly speculative. Keep up the good work, it is appreciated. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
"troll", "comical Ali", "mug". You really are trying hard to offend me aren't you? Your poison tongue certainly knows no boundaries Carled. Any other names you wish to call me then please keep them coming, It really does improve your argument...no honestly. Your manner is such an endearing quality you know.

Expectations!! Exactly. People's expectations change, this season is very different to recent seasons due to the very poor start we have had. Therefore they have lower expectations. That is my opinion in talking to people recently, but I am sure you know better.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AAaaaand once again, the questions have been evaded!

Ladies and Gentlemen, adding yet another string to his bow, iloveskiing now impersonates the one and only Richard Nixon for your viewing pleasure!

Honestly, me and my "poison tongue"... I'm such a scamp... rolling eyes

Cheers MrDan. Glad you had a great time over there - you got a better week than those out there this week, I promise you! (even with the "abundance of snow" they are surely due any moment)

iloveskiing, trust me, at the moment I'm not even breaking sweat on the "trying to offend" front... I've had my wrist slapped for being rude, so this is me being nice. Little Angel
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MrDan, Glad your enjoying, I'm off to do the weather report for Sky News now, so the fun may have to stop...for the time being wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I'm off to do the weather report for Sky News now
Laughing Laughing

I hope you all keep your tempers as this is very entertaining. Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
iloveskiing wrote:
People's expectations change, this season is very different to recent seasons due to the very poor start we have had. Therefore they have lower expectations. That is my opinion in talking to people recently, but I am sure you know better.

I consider 2002 'recent' ...ho hum

and why is it a 'very poor start', as has been stated by those who live in the mountains countless times this has happened before ... not 'great' maybe but loads of folks seem to be skiing when they get away . In my case 16/12- 27/12 and no problem.

This 'debate' has to be one of the biggest non-entities in snowHead history, you're all getting worked up about frigging forecasts, pedantry and 'choice of words' for goodness sake (and I'm joining in Embarassed ).

No wonder we may have 'global warming' with this amount of hot air. Shocked wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Quote:

I'm off to do the weather report for Sky News now
Laughing Laughing

I hope you all keep your tempers as this is very entertaining. Laughing Laughing

I know it's getting better and better Laughing

snowHead
snow conditions
I promise to keep my temper. I also promise to include real weather information as and when I think it worthy... and if anyone wants me to stop troll-baiting at any point, just say so!
ski holidays
carled, I am no troll rolling eyes

I do like the way that you consider yourself to be snowHeads meteorological superhero, you make me laugh Laughing

You burst onto this thread at the sound of the alarm that someone was suggesting that there may be good snow in the offing.

"Someone is reckoning on having a good time - don't worry folks super met-man is here, please ignore the original post on this thread. Don't think you're missing out on forecasts... The truth is with me"

With GFS charts switched to stun, you fire an initial salvo. Geraanngg "Warm weather" ZzapP "No snow".

"Ok folks, dealt with the miscreant now, I don't think he'll be reckoning on getting good skiing any more " and you tuck your cape back into your knickers and stride off into the distance ...

Nice one Laughing
snow report
We're still waiting to find out where this abundance of snow fell over the weekend....
ski holidays
No Ricardo, I agree. Trolls have a bit more wit and intelligence in their posts. You're a troll sidekick and yes-man. However, you are very good at the "avoid any facts posted and persist along the railway lines of your original point no matter how many times it has been debunked" bit, so you have a promising career as a fully-fledged troll ahead of you. Keep it up, you'll make your mother proud one day. *sniff*

Yep, I am Captain, er... Weather (hmm, sounds lame) and I will smite the cold lovers everywhere with my poison tongue and... (what was it? *checks earlier posts* oh yeah...) cheek!

Many is the time I have procalimed my mightiness and superiority over those minion know-nothings, Brian and Skanky and, AT LAST! I have recognition and a follower. Join me Ricardo, with your fawning sidekickiness and my super weather powers, we can rule the forum! To freezing level... AND BEYOND!

*tucks cape into pants, flies off to smite...*
snow report
carled, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I think its time carled and iloveskiing get over their sexual tension!!!!! its like friends series 1 --- will they wont they ross and rachel!!!!!!!! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
This is brilliant
latest report
Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
it is all relative!

As this season is so shocking for snowfall, maybe now what used to constitute a sprinkling is now an abundance!

ps How much snow will there be in St Anton week 3rd-10 and if you are a mm out you will wake up with a horse's head in ya bed!
ski holidays
I have Carled edging this bout at the moment. Carled has been concise and technical with superb use of dictionary definitions. Iloveskiing on the other hand was flagging slightly until the superb "poison tongue" comment which I think saw him take that round 10-8 and thus bringing him back ito contention.

It's still up for grabs for either of these combatants. At this late stage it comes down to who has the heart, Who's the hungriest?
ski holidays
super met-man, I thought that you had dealt with Andorra, but there are reports that people were found having a good time there last week. Best get down there and melt away the snow they had last week.

I saw on another thread that some were even talking about more snow on the way - quick, get on that thread before they get carried away and break into a smile.
latest report
Ricardo wrote:
super met-man, I thought that you had dealt with Andorra, but there are reports that people were found having a good time there last week. Best get down there and melt away the snow they had last week.

carroz in snow in Andorra thread wrote:
Back from el tarter/soldeu. Snow on Monday night transformed the place, but they do need a lot more to open the steeper runs. Very icy in places. Cannons running most of day/and all night in various areas, including outside our apartement. Still quite a few stones lying about but my skis don't look as bad as i thought they would, but really do need sharp edges. Link to pas still closed and looks like will be until they get more snow. Snow in Pas in better condition and they have more steeper stuff open.

Not exactly an abundance of snow wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricardo, this thread was about the alps now unless somebody has moved andorra there isnt an abundance of snow.
snow report
Ricardo, "super met-man"... brilliant, I knew you'd do it, boy wonder! (*pats Ricardo on back*).

Brief deviation to spring to the aid of a snowHead in peril...
plectrum, once you dig yourself out of the abundance of snow (having first tunnelled into St. Anton, of course) you'll have slightly good chance of a dumplet (dumpling?) of the wondrous white stuff as you arrive in resort... thereafter staying pretty darned cool - below seasonal norm, precip forecast a bit up and down... Bit of a high pressure issue early in the week, but a sinking low from good old Scandinavia should bring joy to your heart (and obviously will thoroughly upset me, as I HATE to be positive, dammit!). The weather gods (good mates of mine, obviously) have smiled and, as they're getting the general area shipshape before my arrival on the 10th, you are in the right place to benefit from a bit of cold and snow, you lucky rascal, you... wink

Oh those pesky Andorrans... yeah, should any precipitation (quite likely) choose to fall as snow in the temperatures I think they'll have (not likely)... I'd be quite surprised. Higher up might be ok... oh wait, I said that already...
snow report
Smokin Joe, I know, but surely super met-man can wield his doom and destructive powers in the rest of Europe too? I was only picking up on his comment on the first page.

Quote:
super met-man said:
Er... how do I put this tactfully... erm, if I was booking for the w/c 3rd Feb, Andorra would NOT be high on my list of places to visit... sorry... If you're doing it for reasons of economy, it woul dbe false economy as you would not have the greatest conditions.

Nadenoodlee wrote:
THEN IT STARTED SNOWING! and it didnt stop until thursday! Tuesday morning we woke up to snow all down the valley and in the village- blue skies, although it started snowing again by 12. Wednesday - more snow and high winds! THursday, Friday and Saturday - GORGEOUS!

Have to say I think we were lucky with the snow and may have had the best week this season

If he wants his prediction to come true he'd best go and use his super destructive-powers and destroy what is there.
latest report
Ricardo, I dont see anything wrong with the statement. It snowed for three days and they got 30 cms ? Bearing in mind there was nowt in the first place 30cm isnt enough nor an abundance.
latest report
Would this be a good time to point out the spelling mistake in the thread title? Toofy Grin
snow report
Smokin Joe, I agree, but super met-man wants to destroy hope and there is a danger that those going to Andorra may now hope to ski.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Yes should be 'massif' ... Toofy Grin Skullie

PS Isn't this fun ! .. and I haven't had to stoke it yet !! rolling eyes
ski holidays
Just back from the studio now folks. Lots of snow is being forecast you know.

Okay so some of you may be getting a bit suspicious and starting to smell something fishy!!

Let me divulge more. I have been a bit bored of late especially when reading all the weather techy posts. So the wind up merchant I am I decided to go fishing for a weather anorak last Wednesday using a mischievous post as bait? Did anyone else have the same idea? If so did you catch anything? I think we all know what I caught, but didn't they put up a great fight. Sorry folks to now spoil the fun, however I have to bring this thread to an end and unhook my catch as I'm in stitches and have not done too much work today. Of course I will put them back into the water for all you other fishermen to have a go as it really is an entertaining sport you know.

Ricardo your analogy was pure class Very Happy Very Happy Brilliant!!

A round of applause please for Carled I could not have done it without them Very Happy

I hope all you ladies and gents enjoyed this as much as me and that this bit of harmless fun has cheered up a perhaps otherwise boring last few days.

Carled- What a star, but you really have got to start chilling out and stop jumping down people's throats, oh and maybe get a life, You've been a great sport though. V entertaining.

Best of all dammit I think I may have actually been right Laughing Laughing wink
ski holidays
Ricardo,

Yes, there is skiing in Andorra.

Yes, it could be better (Soldeu only 45% of runs open and only 1 red run - links between resorts closed)

Yes, Andorra is nowhere near the Alps.

Stop talking mince. NehNeh

snowHead
ski holidays
iloveskiing Excellent Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh and super met-man, that forecast for St Anton for 3rd - 10th February was pure class, a bit of snow a bit of cold. Who'd have predicted that Laughing Laughing

We'll watch out for your next predictions snowHead
snow conditions
Ah the old "we were only winding you up all along" exit... what a disappointment and there was I flailing about on the line like a good 'un eh?

Are either of you out of your teens yet? Laugh? I nearly bust a rib. What wags you are.
latest report
carled, like many on the site, I appreciate your help in looking forward (optimisticly of course) to the possible snowfall. Would you care to look at Wengen for me? We are going towards the end of Feb. I know all the caveats about forecasting too far in the future, but all the sights I've looked at show no snow forecast. What's your opinion? I promise NOT to hold it against you if there is not '..masive (sic) snow next week@' wink wink wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy