Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trendspotting

brian
brian
Chris Brookes, it's true for the low resorts (<1500m), still looking ok for Muerren wink

lisach, pam w, yes, we're still looking almost a week out. Subtle shifts in the positioning of things will have big consequences. Also worth bearing in mind that big high pressure rises to the North are pretty unusual and therefore not something the models handle very often, could be some surprises down the line.

On a positive note, those going high for half term should be in for a treat.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brian wrote:
Chris Brookes, it's true for the low resorts (<1500m), still looking ok for Muerren wink

lisach, pam w, yes, we're still looking almost a week out. Subtle shifts in the positioning of things will have big consequences. Also worth bearing in mind that big high pressure rises to the North are pretty unusual and therefore not something the models handle very often, could be some surprises down the line.

On a positive note, those going high for half term should be in for a treat.

Can you define high Brian. I also may have to do a quick change of direction if necessary.
snow report
 brian
brian
micksup, looking on the safe side and following the alpine chain round, I'd say plenty of skiing above 2000m in Southern France, lowering to maybe 1500m in Eastern Switzerland/Austria.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian wrote:
micksup, looking on the safe side and following the alpine chain round, I'd say plenty of skiing above 2000m in Southern France, lowering to maybe 1500m in Eastern Switzerland/Austria.

But surely this chart suggests all heights will be struggling to avoid the rain?

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn22817.png
snow report
 brian
brian
micksup, do you know the altitudes of all those gridpoints ?

Anyway, I can't believe I'm discussing specifics at 9 days out but ....

... that's a cold front and would (as shown there) probably have a snow/rain line something like 1800m lowering towards 1200m.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Come on! The 06z is rolling out and there are major temperature downgrades (upgrades? - it's getting colder!) coming through... MUCH cooler at all altitudes from what I can see. I just watched the T144 850 chart for Southern Germany/Austria jump from a +5c lump over it to a -10c lump instead... that's more like it, keep it coming weather gods and PLEASE don't be a major cold outlier on the run...
ski holidays
 brian
brian
carled, pressure building over Scandi, this could turn into a mega-run for Scotland. It's already pretty damn good in fact !

Colder but less snowy (or rainy) for the alps so far.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shocked Next Wednesday is looking like a cold day for all concerned in the UK, let alone Scotland if this run comes off! Shame that the precipitation is going to cruise down the North Sea instead of over the land!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh and just while I pause for a cup of tea... at what point can we lay the "abundance of snow" forecast to rest? Even bearing in mind his oh-so-side-splittingly-funny "joke", iloveskiing still persisted in saying he was right... anyone seen an abundance of snow fall anywhere in the alps in the past week that has passed me by? Do let me know, won't you.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
carled wrote:
Shocked Next Wednesday is looking like a cold day for all concerned in the UK, let alone Scotland if this run comes off! Shame that the precipitation is going to cruise down the North Sea instead of over the land!

The cold air kind of dug its heels in for Thursday though. Borderline scenario for Englandshire to grind to a shuddering halt wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
carled, whether he was trolling (as he now claims) or just mistaken, Ilovewoffling was defintely talking out of his @rse rolling eyes

Keep up the good work! Very Happy

BTW I know Half term is still too far out at 9 days, but netweather.tv's interpretation of the GFS is showing significant precipitation in the early part of the week with freeze levels around 1500m. (give or take). I read that as potentially very good news for the 3V. if temps are high we'll scoot up to VT, and if not, hang round the lower slopes but either way there should be some fresh to play on snowHead

(Maybe even an 'abundance' Laughing )
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
carled wrote:
at what point can we lay the "abundance of snow" forecast to rest? Even bearing in mind his oh-so-side-splittingly-funny "joke", iloveskiing still persisted in saying he was right... anyone seen an abundance of snow fall anywhere in the alps in the past week that has passed me by? Do let me know, won't you.

Whether you are right or wrong, give us a break!

....and yes, last week's snowfalls in the Alpes Maritime... were an 'an abundance of snow' compared to what had gone before and reinvigorated the resorts totally ....
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Agenterre, that was last week's last week, this week's past week is this week. Do keep up Twisted Evil
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian, ... and I'll have a glass of the same please Twisted Evil t'wasn't me ploughing the fields Little Angel
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And (according to Netweather) it just keeps getting better, a real abundance Very Happy is now showing for half term week. Just starting to appear on Snow-Forecast as well. OK I know it could all go away again if the model 'flips' but right now it's looking pretty damn good!
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, newbie here.

What do folks think about GFS precipitation forecasts for 9-10Feb for western alps. Looks like a long drive to Chamonix on friday night

Ned
latest report
 brian
brian
ned flanders, as AxsMan says, it's looking very promising from the 9th and right through the next week. GFS has swung towards colder output but quite an ensemble spread from the 7th, so confidence is fairly low on the temperature front, worse case would still bring rain down at the 1000m-ish stations but best case would be snow right down to the valleys.

If something like the average comes off, it looks like over a metre of snow accumulation could be in the offing. Very Happy Fingers crossed.

Currently looking great for Scotland at the moment as well, here's hoping .....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy