Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to Ski in March? (Beginner)

Poster: A snowHead
I'm new to the whole ski thing and need some advice? Thinking of booking for March 10th for a week and am looking for some ideas. Ideally somewhere that doesnt have a long transport time but am open to all suggestions.
Thanks in advance snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any prefernece in terms of countries, languages spoken, type of resort (quaint town vs purpose built), accomodation (apartments/hotels/chalets) method of travel (drive vs. fly vs other), transfer times, etc

need more gen then can make decent suggestions.. but the obvious ones might include..

Andorra (if get more snow!), Lech (austria), La Plagne (france) , Courchevel 1850 (france)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fair point! I was a bit vague but only cause I don't have a clue!!!
Had looked andorra but the transfer time is really long. (will be flying - from Ireland) Liked the idea of Austria - have never been there before.
I am going with my OH and would like somewhere that has some bars and restaurants and is good for beginners.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BERTIE Bassett I agree Courchevel 1850/1650 ,we went L/Y in March great conditions and not too busy. La Clusaz would be another goodie ,short Transfer , excellent nusery as well as good progression slopes. Buzzy and very French. Blush
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Lecht in scotland!!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
loodles, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Austria is a good plan. I'd recommend Zell am See
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree with Elizabeth B - Austria. If you can fly to Innsbruck, Westendorf is beautiful and also has a great ski school. Only 1hr transfer and plenty of small bars and eateries.
Ellmau in the Ski Welt is also worth a look with easy links to Soll, Scheffau and Going. Dont be tempted by cheapies such as Bulgaria it could put you off for life!!! Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wib, I agree. I learnt to ski in Westendorf many years ago and, for beginners, it's great. The nursery slope is nice and big and the ski school, as you say, is excellent. Hotel Post was very nice and right in the centre of the village. Not thumping Apres-Ski but perfect for a first adventure I'd say! Totally agree with staying clear of Bulgaria. Went there once (Borovets) and vowed never again. The ar5e end of nowhere, awful food, snow patchy at best and terrible ski hire equipment. Probably caught it at a bad moment but put me off the place for life.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Austria is fab for beginners and most resorts have some reasonable bars and retaurants. Zell is pretty god but be careful where you stay which will determine which lift you get in the morning and it depends what you mean by "beginner" as to whether Zell is perfect, as it's fine if you can ski blues but I don't think its as goos as many others for a first timer. Obergurgl is an excellent place to learn, as is Seefeld. Lech is fab but very expensive. The best place to fly into is Innsbruck but I'm not aware of any cheap flights to there. You can also fly in via Friedrichschafen with Ryan Air to Lech, and hire a car.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Of the resorts I've visited outside Austria, Saas Fee in Switzerland is good and fairly lively at night. Cervinia in Italy is excellent, as is Cortina. Alpe D'Huez in Frnce has a great big snow bowl just above the resort full of easy greens.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowgod - we are going to zell at the start of march and are staying in the main town, what do you mean when you say " Zell is pretty god but be careful where you stay which will determine which lift you get in the morning" thanks!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
xjenkins, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

There's loads of info on here about Zell....happy reading and skiing.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hi, ...i'm reading them now, thanks Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Loodles -try Zell Am Zee in Austria. Can fly from Dublin to Salzburg with Ryanair and a very short transfer from there to the resort. Zell is a fantastic old Alpine town (like something from a Christmas card) and the Apres ski is lively. Instruction is very good but ensure you specify an English speaking instructor on arrival.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
loodles, I will suggest Montgenevre, should have loads of snow and also has a large, fairly easy, non intimidating ski area for beginners and inexperienced skiers and fairly short transfer from Turin. And you can ski in France and Italy on the same liftpass.[
ski holidays
xjenkins, There are two cable cars which leave the village from where the nursery's are, right at the very top of the village and a bus ride away if you're staying in the village centre. If you have 1st time skiers with you you'll have to make this bus journey and the bus can be VERY crowded as everyone wants to get to the ski schools / nurseries for the same time, particularly on the first morning afer the packages arrive (ie on Sunday morning). The bus back to the village from this point can also be a real scrum!!!

If you can ski a little bit then there's also a modern gondola called the City Express which leaves from the village - walking distance from most / many hotels, but it doesn't take you to a run which is particularly suitable to progress to from the nurseries for day 3 or 4 skiers or very timid skiers. Also, from the top of this lift you have to take at least one more chair to get to reasonably easy runs.

The best run for beginners to progress to up on the mountain is the blue next to the GrossGlockner chair which is best accessed from the Aireitbahn Gondola which leaves from Schuttdorf, just round the lake from Zell and a bus ride away. Beginners and ride this chair and blue run all day then get the gondola back down to Schuttdorf. It is possible to get to this run by taking the city express gondla from the village, then the chair up from there, then getting on the 2nd stage of the Areitbahn gondola, riding it all the way to the top, staying on and coming down to Gross glockner from there. It's apin getting on the Areitbahn gondola at the second stage though as nearly all the cabis are full of people who got on at the bottom.

I feel that Zell is better for wwek 2 skiers onwards than for absolute beginners. If you can ski blue runs then you;re fine taking any lift from the village, whichever is most conveninet closest to your hotel and you may not need to take a bus.
ski holidays
SnowGod, the best solution for beginners is to stay in schuttdorf....and then walk to the nursery slope there.
latest report
Elizabeth B, I totally agree from a skiing perspective, but you do miss out on the resort ambience of Zell not being within realistic walking distance. Thats what I mean about it not being totally suitable for absolute beginners - you can't have everything!!!
ski holidays
True....but it's only a very short taxi ride.
latest report
Appreciated... and some parts of Schuttdorf are even walkable if its not too cold, but its so much more convenient not to have to get a taxi to town at night. I love Zell, in fact it's my wifes fave resort. I just think its better for 2nd week and beyond skiers than absolute beginners due to the layout and lift network.
snow report
We had our first week's skiing in Seefeld 4 years ago - it's great for beginners and the town is really nice. Our second week was in Obergurgl - a really lovely resort and probably more snow sure in March than Seefeld. I can thoroughly recommend the 'Eidelweiss and Gurgl' . The instruction in Austria is great - imo better than anywhere else than I've skied (France, Switzerland, Andorra and US). Lech is also great for beginners. If you want to head further afield then try Winter Park in USA - the beginner area is the best I've ever seen - a whole host of green runs.
snow report
Quote:

Zell is pretty god

well, that's the end of that discussion then! wink
snow conditions
pam w, come to think of it my wife did seem to getting a litte over friendly with than hunky instructor wink
ski holidays
snow god thanks for that...very useful info.
snow report
Quote:

La Clusaz would be another goodie ,short Transfer , excellent nusery as well as good progression slopes. Buzzy and very French.

I'd back this up. I've tried Courchevel and Zell am See/Kaprun but I'd definatley recommend LA Clusaz every time, short transfer, cheap flights, nice area for beginners, and feels French (in a good way).
ski holidays
erica2004, Being a confirmed "Austrophile" I'd completely agree with erica2004's comments. both Seefeld and Obergurgl are excellent for beginners (probably Hochgurgl, just above Obergurgl is slightly better run wise). Packages to both can be VERY expensive though, but it can be done reasonably by booking flights, transfers and accommodation independently. I flew to Freidrichschafen and hired a car to go to Seefeld at New Year last season. The drive was easy and took aboyt 2-2.5 hours. At that time of year the snow in Obergugrgl would probably be better as it's significantly higher, although Seefeld isn;t low by Austrian standards.
snow report
loodles, I suggest you come here. We're not expensive, fly to Grenoble and 1.5 hours drive from there. We have guaranteed skiing where even your beginners can learn (glacier). Whatever happens with temps and snowfall between now and then, your beginners will be fine here. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy