Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saving lives on the slopes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/main.jhtml?xml=/travel/2007/01/20/etsavvy20.xml

Have a look at this story. It was a surprise to me to see this in saturdays newspaper....the family concerned are very good friends of ours and our kids ski together a lot.

A few points to ponder:

Henry's life was saved by his helmet. I know that the vast majority of kids these days are skiing with helmets, but that cannot be said for adults.
This could just as easily have happened to an adult.
The accident was not caused by crazy skiing or some mega off-piste with rocks. A ditch had been dug to lay some electricity cables, it was only there for a few hours before it was filled back in. Should it have been marked? Probably...but accidents happen. It could have had a terrible result, but thanks to helmet+great on the spot attention by other friends+pisteurs+medical staff there is now nothing wrong at all. Huge thanks to all those people.

By the way....remember his name...I have a feeling that Henry could be racing at a very high level one day, UK national team would not surprise me.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
> But you can't ignore youngsters hurtling down a steep and slippery slope, often lined with trees and rocks, and crowded with other speeding skiers and riders.

No you can't unfortunately.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Poor woman, and poor old Henry. I have mixed feelings about the 'learn a bit of basic first aid' message in the article. Clearly, used properly, it can only be useful, but it strikes me that maybe the best thing anyone could have done for young Henry before properly trained medical types arrived was as little as possible, in case he had damaged something in the neck area or somewhere else potentially dangerous. It seems to me that the sort of basic first aid which your average non medic is likely to learn is unlikely to make much difference, and unskilled interference could make matters worse.

Is that balls? Is there any basic first aid stuff which your average family skier, walker, whatever, should have? When we walk, I carry a basic first aid kit, although I have grave doubts about whether I could actually strap up a broken limb in a useful way. I can slap on a bit of Spenco 2nd skin in an expert fashion, mind.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would suggest that basic first aid would include the consideration of keeping the casualty static and warm (depending of course on what is the main hazard), and in fact it would appear that those in the know in this case observed that basic tennet. I think many would be surprised at how a days training could make a huge difference. Often its the small things in the early minutes that can make a huge difference.

I'm glad all's well that ends well. Looking forward to ski sunday in a couple of years!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good first aid is also about knowing what not to do. Like you said if they have a more serious injury you don't want to pull them upright and start wrapping bandages around someone's head Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
richmond, My reading of the article is that the people who were around him did know what they were doing, they made sure that he couldn't move his neck until the patroller arrived after ensuring that he could breathe.

The BASP courses are worth doing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs, yes, mine too. It was the suggestion later in the article that 1st aid training is a good thing that made me think. If it only tells you what not to do, it's useful, I suppose.

We have a few people in the office who have been on '1st aid for the workplace' courses; these seem to consist almost entirley of telling them not to do anything at all in any circumstances.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In order to take groups out in the hills (walking / not sure about skiing) you have to have a first aid qualification such as the lifesaver plus this gives you all the details of what to and not to do and can help in saving peoples lives.

A group leader should also always carry a good first aid kit and know how to use it (but again whether this is necessary on pistes is another discussion )
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rungsp, .......First Aid Courses are definitely a good idea - not just for skiing - everyday life is unpredictable. Just around the next corner someone may need your help, or you may need help. I believe basic first aid should be taught to every school child.

A few incidents last season prompted me to do a refresher course during the Summer with Order of Malta, with an added wilderness module, which in turn has led me to do a First Responders course, as part of local initiative, as the 'Health' Department are hell-bent on closing our local A&E. Rural people are more vulnerable to this current 'closures' policy and 'community first aiders' is an idea worthy of consideration.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BernardC, I was amazed to be party to a discussion in a local village regarding community first aider's, the main concern was how 'they' stood legally and whether they personally could be sued if something went wrong! Sad

Ironically it then emerged that living in the village were a string of Healthcare proffesionals from Paramedics to Consultants!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin, ....... that's the down side .... and from my tutors the message is very clear. If you don't know what you are doing - DON'T - call for professional assistance. Only work within your knowledge and capabilities.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BernardC, Quite and I must go and put the La Plagne piste security phone number in my mobile.
The La Plagne number for use in case of accident is 04 79 09 67 60 for anyone going there this season.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I did 1st aid at Work 4 years ago and they spent hours teaching us how to tie a perfect sling!

This year I did a Rescue & Emergency Care course, which is designed for people who work in the outdoors. Most of that course dealt with making people comfortable and preventing hypothermia while you waited for mountain rescue. They said don't bother with a sling!!

The thing that it highlighted to me, is that at work in an office...you rarely have to worry about anything beyond the first 10 mins. The ambulance will be there, and they will take over. Out on a mountain in could be hours/days before help comes. Knowing what to do then is vital.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richmond,
Quote:

It seems to me that the sort of basic first aid which your average non medic is likely to learn is unlikely to make much difference, and unskilled interference could make matters worse.

I disagree with the above. As many on here have said even basic first aid training includes as much about what not to do as what to do, including the important point about not not trying to do more than you are taught.

I speak from the perspective of someone that held First aid at work qualifications for 12 years, is an active member of St. John's Ambulance and who is a veteran of assisting in about 8 or so road traffic accidents - some of them quite nasty, where often the best thing you can do is stabilise a casualty in situ, and stop others well meaning efforts from destabilising them until the professionals turn up.

On the slopes and in the car I carry a full first aid bag and know how to use its contents.

In terms of the legalities of treating a casualty although there is no formal legal protection for a first aider I have had the 'good samaritan' code explained to me and in essence this means that providing a judge is happy that you were doing your best and acting within what you had been trained to do that a legal charge wouldn't be pressed even if you had not been successful. The reason for this is that as soon as case was presented the thousands of volunteer first aiders in country would likely turn in their cards to no-ones benefit.

To everyone I would say, go and get some basic training with St. Johns Ambulance, or the other organisations, you never know when it will be needed - on the slopes, at home, on the drive to work etc. I hope this encourages many of you to make the effort and do so - let me know how you get on.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, Good comment - also - the views of the legal profession do take on board the situation. ie. In a mountain based senario you have more of a viable (and defensible) input expected than in a situation where a fully equipped medic will be expected to arrive within a short timescale.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy