Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What ski's should I buy for ski touring?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I want to buy some decent all mountain ski's with touring bindings which are reasonably forgiving in most snow conditions on and off piste. I'm not an off piste expert by any means, but can do it in a fashion and want to focus on improving. I want something which I can skin up and walk on, then ski off piste down to the piste network again. Any recommendations?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've used Rossi B2's before in a touring set up - they weren't mine, and as it was my first and only time on a ski touring holiday, I haven't got much to compare it with however they seemed to do the trick as everyone else on the holiday were also kitted out in exactly the same set up. My guess though is that any of the recognised 'all-in-one' sort of skis would do the trick - B2's, Dynastar 8000's, Atomic Sweet Daddys etc etc...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SnowGod, sounds like you're just going to be touring for a couple of hours maximum in which case, I wouldn't worry too much about weight. So just try a few pairs out and put touring bindings on the ones you like most. The ones enaikay78 mentions are all decent all round skis but they are very much compromises. I'd go for something a bit fatter myself - presumably off-piste performance is what you're most interested in.

FYI I have toured on:

Atomic 9.22s - light but not very good except on perfect snow
Dynastar Intuitiv Bigs (old model with a mini-swallow tail - not dissimilar to the Legend 8000 although a bit beefier in construction I think) - great ski, a bit heavy for long tours, skinny by today's standards
Dynastar Legend Pros - one of my current set-ups - awesome ski both on (except moguls) and off piste, too heavy for long tours
Blizzard Titan 9s - a little narrow for my tastes (82mm underfoot in the 181 cm version) but a nice compromise between weight and performance. Plan to do some long tours on these. Fitted with Dynafit bindings
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys... my tours tend to be for a morning or an afternoon... 4 hours max (fitness doesn't allow much more than that... must work on that element!!!), so the other half of the day is spent on piste which why I suppose I'm after a reasonable all rounder, but the emphasis is definitely on usability off piste as I need all the help i can get with my limited technique in this area
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SnowGod, so long as the ski doesn't have one of the integrated binding systems manufacturers seem so keen on, you can stick a touring binding on it. I've skied with someone who put touring bindings on Atomic GS skis Shocked each to his own and all that
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I picked up a second hand pair of Atomic REXs on ebay for 40 quid plus post (no bindings). I've mounted them with freerides and they'll be my touring skis. I think they are good compromise - 84mm in the waist and relatively light. Might be worth looking out for second hand options if you are only going to be using them occasionally

J
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SnowGod,

The lighter you are the less float you need from a ski, how tall / heavy are you? I have a pair of Bandits XX's (predecessor to the B2) but in comparison to my Volkl Snow Wolf skis they are heavy. The Snow Wolfs perform better in powder and are much lighter. In cut up/uneven snow the extra weight and "burlyness" of the Bandit's gives them the edge.

Here are a few models to think about ....
http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/index.php?cPath=1_48_162&osCsid=e1f6fd5758866907eed6140074e50eec
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SnowGod, ....... purely if of interest to you as I haven't even put them up for sale......

I have a brand new pair of Dynastar Legend 8000 for sale, Length 172 (I think) with Diamir Fritchi Freeride Plus bindings on. Never used. There at my place in France & I am going back there next week. Let me know if of any interest.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks again guys... anything is of interest but I reckon 2nd hand is probably the best option as I will probably only use then 5 or 6 days a year. How long do they need to be - I'm 5'11" (180cm) and 12st 7lb (79kg)???? In powder I do prefer a lighter ski, mainly because my fitness needs improving, as does my trchnique, so I find a lighter ski a bit easier to turn. I donlt mind heavy ski's on piste and ski 165cm Atomic SLII's which are pretty heavy for a 165cm ski.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SnowGod, you can pick up cheap new and used Blizzard Titan 9s on german ebay for not too much cash - that's what I did. not superlight, but light enough and a really nicely made ski

length-wise - 175 to 180 I'd say
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BernardC,
How much are you asking for the Legends?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marmotte farcie, ......cost 695 euro - never used .....

.... I intended to keep them for guests use - just mentioned them to SnowGod, .... I will sell them

but it would need to be a fairly decent offer .......

PM if they are of interest to you.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy