Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I need to hire a people carier in Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads

I'm hoping that someone with a little local knowledge might be able to save me some money. I need to hire a people carrier for a week from Sat 24th Jan to Sat 3rd March. I'm flying to Geneva so would need to pick up and drop off the motor there.

Any suggestions would be welcome

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chapstarr, Hi there, i think you'll find that the larger 7 seaters ie Espace can cost about £700. If you can fit in something like a Zafira you'll pay half that. Also if you hire from the Swiss side, it can cost alot more than the French side. If you don't intend to go on the Swiss motorways, this could be a cheaper option, but be sure to hire snow chains. You can also hire ski and board racks - it's a case of just ringing or browsing the net for the best price option (this isn't always clear online). If you have tesco vouchers, they can be redeemed at Avis, which is what we did this year and got a Zafira (5 + 2 seats) some mini MPVs only have 5 seats. Be sure to and state clearly what you require (7 seats), and get them to confirm the booking with an email.

BTW - Welcome to sHs Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jan 24th to March 3rd is slightly more than a week chapstarr!!!

You could try priceline.com which compares the hire price from all the leading company's. Alternatively have you though about booking private transfers? Depends how far you'r going but it may be cheaper as people carriers can be expensive, particularly from Geneva!!! It also depends whether you hire on the french or swiss side as to the price. I can't remember which way round it is but one is cheaper than the other... I think the french side is cheaper cos its not law to have winter tyres in France but it is in Switz so they charge you for that but it may be the other way round... like i said, i can't remember!!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chapstarr, Try Here. a good starting point as it gives you 10% off Holiday Autos who are just a broker for the main companies, National IIRC in Geneva)

oh and I forgot, welcome to snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have hired a people carrier for £380 all in for 1 week over half term from Car Jet from GVA. The prices through Geneva are about £50 higher than France, but you get a fully kitted car, snow-chains and moroway vignette
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ah... Martin just jogged my failing memory - that was the other benefit of hiring in Switzerland. If you want to drive on Swiss motorways you need their pass which I think is a fixed fee of 30 euros (might be wrong - maybe someone can confirm). Hiring on the swiss side means this pass is included. But if you're going to france then probably best hiring on the french side.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SnowGod, not necessarily. THe French side is a domestic airport for French travellers. Just negotiating the arrivals and getting into the French part can be complicated, never mind getting the car back there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Holiday Autos 15% discount

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 23-01-07 14:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I hired a people carrier (VW Sharan IIRC) from Hertz at GVA (Swiss side - the French side didn't have them). Can't remember the cost, but it wasn't exorbitant.
latest report
 brian
brian
SnowGod, the motorway pass is called a vignette, it costs 40 swiss francs, £16 at current exchange rate.

If you're going to the French alps then it's much easier to go through Switzerland than stay in France, even if you start from the "French side" of the airport (which is in actual fact, wholly enclosed by Switzerland but has a road that pops you out on the French side of the Ferney Voltaire border post).

Using the French side is fairly straightforward if you get good directions and you buy the vignette (available at the border customs and at petrol stations in Switzerland). If you try and avoid the motorway then it can get a bit complicated.

Agenterre, I've had cars from Hertz, Budget, National and Europcar through HA. Helen Beaumont's link gives a 15% discount btw wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brian, always had ALamo/National from GVA. Maybe it's just the car type we choose.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian, Yes, HA use them all ... but only one primary per location usually Confused

Can you explain why Helen's link gives 15% off (am I being dim?? ), I thought that was the bog standard HA site ? I did know another with 15% but I've lost it ! Embarassed
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agenterre, the link goes to the HA site, but is from an affiliation scheme with a bank I think, posted by another snowhead, possible Ray Zorro.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agenterre, 1 week hire of Ford Ka £169 using link above, and £199 on standard HA site.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For the week I looked at recently (Mar 17 to 24th) the hire prices from French side were quite a lot cheaper, but no snowchains, tyres, or vignette included.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Agenterre, same scheme as the Fleet Europe one, which puts "aff=xFleeteurope" onto the end of the HA URL. This is via the "One Account", an offset mortgage scheme I believe.

Helen Beaumont, I'm pretty sure it was PhillipStanton that came up trumps with that one.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, Just shows it's always worth checking .... I just checked and the Link I gave was cheaper (after discount) than your link for some random dates. rolling eyes

BTW - What I do is phone anyway and get the 10% off whatever deals they have knocking around - I even do that for 1-way drops .. amazing how amenable they can be
snow report
brian, I think RZ's link may have been the 10% one then that we used earlier. Agenterre, your link more expensive for my dates (179 instead of 169). not relevant now anyway as we are going for two weeks and driving down.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, Weird rolling eyes I'll do some more checks later.. would never have happened in Clive Jacobs' days !
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Helen Beaumont, no the 10% one was mine ! Although I believe RZ did publicise it a fair bit.
snow report
brian, oops. Credit where credit due Brian, both links have almost without exception been the cheapest. I did get a good deal through travelsupermarket for Bergamo though.
ski holidays
I've hired an Espace or equivalent 7 seater for this weekend (Thursday to Monday). Picking up in Geneva. Holiday Autos have charged me £270 for the privilege. Snow pack (i.e. snow chains and a rack) are 7CHF per day + tax. I guesschapstarr, that if you are leaving it this late then the rates will be higher even if your chosen vehicle is available.
snow conditions
Wow, Thanks to all for a great response.
Chapstarr
snow conditions
chapstarr, Toofy Grin

Please could you report back here with your findings and your final decision?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy