Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The monoski makes a revival! Hooray!

Poster: A snowHead
cathy wrote:
But do you have to wear the full 80s gear as well??!

1 Piece suits have got left waaayyy behind but you can wear what ever you want to.

There is still a cult following in the UK and you would be surprised at how the Monoski has developed since the 'Pintail' design of the '80's.
Apart from the bindings many Monoskis look like long Snowboards and vice versa.

Here's a few pics of mine;

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3292/3132822755_566da76af1.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2098/2261575025_d748dbf01d_m.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2226/2146186616_685ae1794c_m.jpg

Rob

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 26-12-08 7:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is kevin mcclean still around here? Under another username that is?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chasseur wrote:
Is kevin mcclean still around here? Under another username that is?

If you may be wondering if Kevin and i are one and the same then this is not so.

I am one of the venerable die hard Monoskiers of Great Britain and skiing this way makes me as happy as a chocolate frog Madeye-Smiley

Rob
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cc_7up, not at all, just reminded me that's all - besides "Rob" is a bit of a giveaway wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
playdreamer wrote:
Quote:
Monopride
ROTFL.

I tried a skwal a few years ago, I guess it is to a snowboard as a monski is to skis. I loved it but I hardly ever see them these days. Anyone else ever tried one?

Always wondered what they are called...the europeans still seem to love them...saw quite a lot of people on them in Zermatt last year
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've seen a chap riding one a couple of years running in Switzerland - to my uneducated eye he seemed to be making an impressive job of it. The only time he seemed at a distinct disadvantage was in manouvering on the flat.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kuwait_ian,

the monoski rocks ! .........those that say different have not tried it.....! those that go on about the days of 80's one piece suits .....well I'm guessing they had one too ! they werent a bad thing at the time and they were the fashion for skier or monoskier alike.........! Nowadays the modern day monoskier is as high tech, cool and fashionable as anyone......

Monoskis are now made in many different formsl just like skis ....all mountain versions, carvers, race versions, short , long, powder boards....they are made but some american manufacturers and some french..... I have some 11 different monoskis now and even Bill Gates couldnt buy em off me !!

They are great in all conditions......! I ride mine in Scotland and have done since 86; starting at age of 16.....never looked back; down the snowboard thing and the skiing (hardly skied since 86; except to teach my son to ski ) I ski in the USA and Canada every year with a number of other monoskiers..... it has attracted a lot of interest as can be seen in the Warren Miller movie " off the grid ". Some of the top ski pros have monos and if you ask them they love them !!

Jamie Pierre - record for biggest huck of cliff...., Glen Plake, Shane Mcconkey(late) ; surely some of the greats....

As for speed; I have picture of radar gun of a buddy of mine hitting 70 mph....! so we dont hang about........

So you want to moan about them or step up to the plate and try one out ...?

Later

Highlander
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alan empty,

Alan Empty ....sorry mate but you aint got a clue what your talking about........

The monoski is the ultimate weapon onthe slopes...!

I've skied/snowboarded and monoskied and can give a true judgement call on what is what; I've riden a number of different skis, a few snowboards and a ton of different monoskis across a numer of varied snow conditions. Overall; the monoski comes up trumps; it gives best of both worlds; gives the carving, chews up the crud, bombs the bumbs, cant cross your tips, less twist accidents, less head accidents, no wet buts putting on boards, ski poles for flats ....and they are fast !!

Go to Aviemore pretty much any day; you might just see 1 monoskier a month or if I am at home, 1 a week; rest of population there skiers and boarders....its like the Lambo on the slopes....see one in town every now and then; everyone looks .... and if you can use it right...the attention it draws is second to none.

So step up to the plate and go try one instead of slating something without factual knowledge or personal experience.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
crazyhighlander, Welcome to SH - you're obviously a man of passion, kudos to you for rocking the mono, and resurrecting a thread that seems to have last seen the light of day 2 years ago, and was started in 2004. Still suspect that you'll find some like minded souls to share with... or everyone else to argue with... either way you'll fit right in. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
just dusted off my head free spirit monoski. Took mine to vail back in the 80's and no one had seen one. It was fu****g great in the bowls and I had one of my most memorable runs down the bump run called "log flume" (?) after a big snowfall.
May well go to the meet in les arcs if its still on. Get my neon elhos out again as well.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=78571681516&set=a.64718731516.85613.599996516
do not know if the link will work but its all there....monoski, all in one, and bad flavour saver.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You don't always need a silly outfit:

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
crazyhighlander wrote:
alan empty,

Alan Empty ....sorry mate but you aint got a clue what your talking about........

The monoski is the ultimate weapon onthe slopes...!

I've skied/snowboarded and monoskied and can give a true judgement call on what is what; I've riden a number of different skis, a few snowboards and a ton of different monoskis across a numer of varied snow conditions. Overall; the monoski comes up trumps; it gives best of both worlds; gives the carving, chews up the crud, bombs the bumbs, cant cross your tips, less twist accidents, less head accidents, no wet buts putting on boards, ski poles for flats ....and they are fast !!

Go to Aviemore pretty much any day; you might just see 1 monoskier a month or if I am at home, 1 a week; rest of population there skiers and boarders....its like the Lambo on the slopes....see one in town every now and then; everyone looks .... and if you can use it right...the attention it draws is second to none.

So step up to the plate and go try one instead of slating something without factual knowledge or personal experience.

Wot CH said Toofy Grin

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 19-11-10 18:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you to those who defy orthodoxy, preach hersesy and suffer persecution in advocating the monoski. A truly incredible device, I salute those who practice the craft. One day, a Snowheads Mono society will form from the ruins and the ashes of the carver-snowboarder tyranny!!!!!
snow report
Wot he said too Toofy Grin

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 23-08-20 7:38; edited 2 times in total
latest report
7 or 8 years ago I recall a monoskier rather elegantly gracing the Luc Alphand in Chantemerle. He looked effortless on that last steep run down into town, which was rather more than can be said for me rolling eyes
ski holidays
crazyhighlander, I had to go back and read what I'd written - it was 6 years ago! I was right though Twisted Evil
snow report
Ha! monotele is the only true way . . . free the heels and free the bowels . . . Twisted Evil
snow conditions
+1 for the teleboard - if you're going to go with just the one plank, why fix your heels ? Monos are all a bit popular, really - a couple of years ago I shared a Grand Montets cable car with about 30 of them; unfortunatly I had 2 planks with me that day
snow report
OMG - this thread has got me old adrenaline all up - I think I might just be going to do something nuts when I get out there this year snowHead I hope you guys are right about all this !
latest report
I've been reading the posts about learning to Snowboard (c/w the pain of learning) and i have decided not to do it.

At the age of 58 and with the dodgy knees that i have aquired along the way, I will continue to practice Monoskiing which helps share the lateral forces between both legs and so is less painful on the knees.

I have no wish to perform acrobatic tricks,intended or otherwise, so i will leave that stuff to others.

Each to their own style of sliding on snow and Monoskiing is and will always be my first choice.

Vive le Glide. snowHead
snow conditions
VIVE LE MONO from Benjamin Rex
http://www.vimeo.com/21033034

New Faction Mono, not me riding it sadly... Sad
latest report
http://www.chronicski.biz/index.html still happening tried it once and enjoyed it Shock
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy