Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The monoski makes a revival! Hooray!

Poster: A snowHead
So, for all you sad gits out there here is the good news: the monoski is back!

Whilst at WH Smith today I chanced upon a copy of the DMS magazine and was staggered to discover that a monopride week (analogous to Gay pride, etc) is now an annual event at Les Arcs.

Apparently the leader of the rejuvenated French mono scene has remarked that it's better than sex, though I couldn't possibly agree!

Now, I used to do a fair bit of monoskiing in the 1980's and always advocated the carving and flotation properties of this device 'till I was blue in the face. However, I am ashamed to admit that even I was brow beaten by the style fundamentalists in giving it up.

I now might bite the bullet and give it another go. What about you? It'd be one in the eye for all those goatee bearded skiers and snowboarders, wouldn't it?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kevin mcclean, I thought it had been a regular event here for some years.... look forward to seeing you in the Flying K championships at the end of the Monopride week!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The most important and valuable design advances in skiing - monoskis, rear-entry boots, one-piece suits, avalanche cords and others - tend to fall victim to powerful commercial influences which either hold no patent interest or have some other active interest in killing demand.

The monoski - an outstanding (and literally unique) way to experience powder, crud and slush - is just one idea that's bound to float to the surface with each new generation of skiers.

The monoskiing experience - provided it's controlled with minimum upper body rotation - can be extraordinarily good. My greatest off-piste sensations of skiing have been on monos, but they are not much good on piste, a real hassle in bumps and (like snowboards) a nightmare on the flats.

Every good trained skier should commit to monoskiing for a while. It takes days for the discipline of combined feet to lock into your intuition. You have to adjust to a slightly different traverse position.

Don't believe the negative things you read about monoskis - when the experience is right it is just sensational. It's impossible to replicate with two separate skis, even fat skis.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah, I agree David, I've had some great off piste experiences on a monoski and am suspicious as to why so many deride it.

Didn't you import a load of these in the late '70's?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, Kevin. A small load - just ten of the original Bahne Single Skis from Encinitas, California, designed by Mike Doyle, an international champion surfer. Bahne was a well known surf and skateboard brand, but the Single Ski was the only ski they ever made, as far as I know.
The idea was then imitated by small scale ski companies in Europe (I think Duret was the first) and ultimately I think all the major manufacturers made monoskis.
The last time I looked into it, only Rossignol still had monos in production.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, please pardon my ignorance but what were avalanche cords ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf, I've started a thread (or rather a cord!) on them. Wayward monoskiers should probably use them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For anyone who has a fast computer there is a Video of monopride
I'm in les Arcs just a week to late for them next year - shame.
Actually had my best powder day ever at Grand Montets on a mono... but they hadn't invented carvers or fat boys then.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's a mono-ski on the wall of our ski-room, it's available for any of our guests to use, but so far no takers.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A number of manufacturers (all US I think) and other info on this site
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just exactly why is monoskiing so derided? I've never heard a convincing argument yet to prove the point.

I've always found it immensely enjoyable and believe others would too if they weren't so trapped by convention.

The arguments that it doesn't look good is so subjective as to be worthless advocating. Good monoskiers look pretty cool to me, as long as you avoid over rotating as David correctly points out. It's also quite easy tp pick up.

Uhm, I might just give it another go......
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It was only derided by those that couldn't do it. Done well (which is or was rare) its a great thing to watch, performed badly however is a very different story.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just like skiing and snowboarding, I suppose Ken.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As a fan of "uphill edge" skiing I've been intrigued by mono, but having dallied with the dark side I find that I can't stand having both feet clamped to one piece of wood. Free the Craggs feet is what I say Shocked
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, the feeling of locked feet takes a while to feel natural. Once that happens (a few days) you can really start cooking!
snow conditions
There is also somewhat of a binding issue; I think Salomon are the only ones to even pretend they will allow their bindings on a monoski.

I will second DG on this: half a day on a monoski will improve your two-foot off-piste abilities. Unfortunately, mine were mounted with non-release snowblade bindings. Sad Shocked snowHead (the last literally)
latest report
For anyone thinking of joining the monoski revival, there's one up for sale on ebay at the moment
ski holidays
Hmmm, monoskiing. The missing link between skiing and snowboarding ??
snow report
please help me get the monoski on ebay, i really need it to race(!!!) on at kings as southampton uni are dominating the catergory at the moment as they are the only people who ever get them off ebay
snow conditions
Quote:
Monopride
ROTFL.

I tried a skwal a few years ago, I guess it is to a snowboard as a monski is to skis. I loved it but I hardly ever see them these days. Anyone else ever tried one?
latest report
Erm, I'm a bit surprised by all this positivity in here! Every monoboarder I've ever seen looked slightly ridiculous - maybe I've only ever seen bad ones? Is it possible to look good on-piste on a mono?

Are one-piece dayglo suits still obligatory?

*runs away and hides from the monopride activists*
snow report
Alan it must have been me you saw, I could never do anything with a monoski except fall over with style
ski holidays
Great news. Good ideas shouldn't be allowed to die.

I ski with my feet together Austrian style , so found Mono easy and quickly adapted to uphill edging.

The binding issue is simple, you just cut off one side of the brakes.

The Lake district ski club were big mono fans and there are still a few in the ski rack. As David says they are perfect on heavy snow and therefore suit UK conditions well. You just don't want to use them on icy moguls.

Bring back rear entry skis and tight racing pants, I say. Razz
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:

Bring back rear entry skis and tight racing pants, I say. Razz

Er- I take it you mean rear entry boots! When I ski alpine I still use my old Salomon SX95 rear entry boots circa 1990, which I still find quite adequate for my standard of skiing.
I used to say that I preferred rear entry for comfort -but this occasionally got misconstrued Embarassed Wink
ski holidays
I have always been a fan of the mono ski. Over the last three years dissatisfied with the performance of my old Dynastar Mono I have been riding snowboards fitted with an adaptor plate and a non-release line blade binding. This has proved incredibly successful and as far as I am concerned is the ultimate powder tool. Last year I used it to compete in the La Grave Darby (see photo). I also use this set up in the snow parks and can be often be seen hitting the kickers and sliding the rails at Castleford EXCAPE snow park on Thursdays and Fridays. I can still mix it up with the park rat’s (Mike Wakefield etc.) No mean feat for a 54 year old. If you want to know more you can get in touch with me through Ellis Brigham ‘s at Castleford EXCAPE, ask for Russ. I’m there Thursday and Friday 3pm to 7pm.
snow report
...digs out old mono skiing photo of me from 1991 at Puy St Vincent, blimey I didn't have grey hair back then!! Was great fun in powder and slush, and slushy bumps!!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 8-03-06 10:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

Over the last three years dissatisfied with the performance of my old Dynastar Mono I have been riding snowboards fitted with an adaptor plate and a non-release line blade binding.
Shocked
russmrt, Welcome to snowHead 's. Good to see that insanity is alive and well and living in
Yorkshire Very Happy
ski holidays
Why wouldn't you snowboard instead of mono?

1. more stable position
2. more comfortable boots
3. more natural motion
4. more graceful
5. better for air

Personally I have no interest in picking up either because I find the versatility of skis very important and would hate the compromises of monos/boards (crap on ice, crap on flats, crap uphill) but if I did try either it certainly wouldn't be mono.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gregh, nice suit!

russmrt, welcome to snowHeads.
ski holidays
Kramer, welcome back to snoWheads wink
snow report
Mono skiing is not the only way I slide. I still ski and snowboard and even blade when the when the gully is not wide enough to use anything else. Ski mountaineering is also one of my passions and the best ways to get around and see the mountains.
Do it all and then you may have something to say
I say its all good
Every discipline has something to offer.
Quote:

Why wouldn't you snowboard instead of mono?

1. more stable position
2. more comfortable boots
3. more natural motion
4. more graceful
5. better for air

Personally I have no interest in picking up either because I find the versatility of skis very important and would hate the compromises of monos/boards (crap on ice, crap on flats, crap uphill) but if I did try either it certainly wouldn't be mono

But to answer your questions

Speed from edge to edge
Spread of pressure over both knees
I use ski mountaineering boots that are like slipper and have a walk mode
If you go fast enough down the steeps there are no flats
Why not do something different?
I’ve seen some very funky snowboard styles that do not say graceful in any language.
I’ve got two poles to help pole me along if its really flat snowboarders have to walk
I’m not sat on my back bottom in the snow, fastening adjusting bindings or resting
The motion is totally fluid
And only girls ride with their legs apart!!!!
snow report
There was a chap out on a monoski on Hay Bluff last Sunday. Not as graceful as me on my blades, obviously, but he looked very stylish even though the board must have been made in 1954.
ski holidays
I tried it, didn't care for it much, and loath the things! I think they should be all cut in half and put on the biggest bonfire in the world - why???? Puzzled because the vast majority of people using them are only doing it because they want to ski with their feet together and can't be bothered to learn on 2 skis (an odd aspiration these days). Thus they monoski very badly and are a danger to all other piste users. I can't remember the last time I saw one off piste at all (which is what they were made for). I see at least one a week, but it does seem to be the French that were keenest on them. Sorry Monopride - yeuck!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
For those wanting to have a go it's almost as painful as learning to snowboard - you land on exactly the same place on your hip every time you fall over, 'cos you tend to master turning one way better than the other.

They're hard to get a hold off though - we had to search all the hire shops in Meribel and Courchevel to find 5 for a race in La Tania in 2001.

More at http://www.latania.co.uk/photos/2001/mincers/index.htm

Whatever you try, be it telemarking, boarding, squawls, snowdecks etc - it's how much fun you have. not what it looks like (except blades of course) wink
snow report
Mono Skiing is very much alive and Kicking. Cool

Negatives.
Drag lifts can be a PITA.

Positives.
First up , it's Fun.

Having the knees together spreads the Lateral pressure between both legs and enables former traditional skiers to ski again safely after giving up due to Dodgy knee joints.

When your Mono-ski Skids out, it's mostly like sliding in to First Base on your leg and hip

Two Plank skiers and snowboarders can get into the 'swing' of it after only 3 or 4 runs noticable by the big smile factor on the faces of the snowsliders who have given it a go.

http://youtube.com/v/xodKlVFOVVo
expert monoskiing

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 20-01-20 11:56; edited 21 times in total
latest report
Les Arcs is the only place I've seen monoskis & again the only place I've seen anyone using a Skwal. The Skwal looked very impressive.
latest report
I tried it for a few days back in 1989 and loved it as an alternative thing to do, I found pomas a bitch but the rest was great. snowHead
snow report
New Year's Day 1988 I saw Paddy Ashdown monoskiing in Flaine.

He was very good at it. Especially impressive as I'd seen him just a few hours earlier very tired and very emotional Smile
ski holidays
But do you have to wear the full 80s gear as well??!

ski holidays
It left the mainstream at the end of the 1980s but has always been around there on the fringe because its basically a brilliant idea.

Most of my Lake District mates still have their Monos stored away somewhere and last April I tried all week but failed miserably to keep up with one of their aged number, while he ripped up VDI on his trusty Duret.

They are a good option on English snow - which normally has a high percentage of grass !

Vive Le Mons Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy