Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mammoth - can anyone recommend decent hotel accommodation?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of heading over to Mammoth in February but it's quite difficult gauging what the hotel accommodation there is like, the Trip Advisor reviews are pretty mixed about all of them but I get the impression there might have been reviews posted by other hotel owners and they're all at it now!

Anyway, it's just for me so a condo seems like an expensive extravagance therefore a hotel seems like the best thing - something reasonably comfortable but not luxury. As far as I can work out something close to the village would be good for night life and ease of getting up the mountain.

The Alpenhof Lodge seems like a good location but the reviews (like all of them) are mixed so has anyone got any experience of this place or can anyone recommend decent alternatives?

Alternatively are there any decent sites around that give a fair assessment of what's available?

Thanks Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Motel 6 are a fairly consistent & cheap option- its basically an economy motel chain but tightly controlled by Accor rather than slackly franchised and the ones I've stayed in in the US have been remarkably consistent with usually very helpful staff. I'd guess comparable to a mid tier Accor Euro chain than Formula 1. Few frills e.g. you'll have to buy your own pastries or donuts etc for breakfast, don't expect a hot tub or Sauana and the outdoor pool will be covered over.

Like anywhere the quality of your stay may be affected by your fellow guests so if you really don't want the risk if a neighbouring room of partying college kids I'd definitely go for something more expensive. Not a bad location in Mammoth but I'd still want a car wherever I was staying.

Mammoth seems to have a surfeit of cheesy fake Austro Swiss hotels and though I've only stayed in one I can't recall anything that made it superior to a functional motel expect the price tag.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We stayed at Alpenhof lodge on our honeymoon in 2001 (so quite some time ago) it was clean if a tiny little bit dated. location was good, as was the restaurant (although quite posh and expensive). Overall though it was spacious and well situated. We enjoyed it immensely and would recommend it.

Its a motel style place so you enter via outside like a campanille, our room (suite) had a separate lounge too including a real fireplace got some pics somewhere back home so can post em up tomorrow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
roga, Stayed at the Mammoth Mountain Inn few years back, very nice, ski to door, should be in the Virgin Ski brochure !
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Like SP1R1T we stayed a the MMI, about 8 years ago. Our room (booked through Virgin) was like an apartment - 2 bedrooms and a large sitting room with a kitchen area and a dining area. It was an apartment, I suppose. We were very late in the season, so I guess that's why. Very convenient, perfectly comfortable, not very exciting.

I belive that Mammoth has been developed a lot since we were there and there are probably a lot more places to stay.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stayed at the Alpenhof Lodge 3 seasons ago. Short of ski-in, ski-out, the location is second to none. The gondola is literally 20 yards away on the opposite side of the road, next to the new development courtesy of Intrawest. This gives you bars, restaurants and shops all wthin a 20 second walk. There is also a decent wnough bar downstairs in the hotel, and a couple of other restaurants all within a couple of hndred yards. There is also a grocery/newsagent type affair for stocking up on beef jerky and baby ruth bars.

A little further afield (but still easily walkable) is the main street and all that that entails. Shopping malls, designer retail outlets etc etc, plus numerous bars and restaurants.

The hotel is fine - massive rooms, most with 2x doubles (some sort of dodgy American thing - I think they all swing?) and it has a pool, steam and sauna etc. But I sem to recall having to go out for breakfast every day - no problem, there are plenty of places around. (But the best place is to drive into town and eat at 'Stoves' the whole pancake, eggs sunny side up and endless coffee routine seen in most 70's american tv detective dramas....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the information guys, much appreciated.

Still looks as if the Alpenhof is a good location, anyone been recently?

Am I right in thinking the Mammoth Mountain Inn is away from the main town and village?

I'm really wanting something that has decent apres ski etc or at least a drink in a choice of bars within walking distance - I'll be on my own so don't want to be isolated away from where it's all at.

Any more information/recommendations gratefully accepted Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
we stayed here http://www.mammothcreekinn.com/ and it was nice and comfortable but not really in the middle of town but there were some bars/restaurants within walking distance

when we visited the central "village" at night it was very quiet and a bit strange to be honest!

have a great time, i'm jealous and would happily go back if i had the chance
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
roga, the MMI is right up at the main ski base, by the main lodge and the Panorama and Broadway lifts. When we stayed there several years ago, it was a 5/10min drive into the town, not that there was much there anyway. I believe that the town has changed quite a bit in the last few years.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Roga, Mammoth is difficult for being in the middle of it all, there isn't really a middle! The Alpenhof is a good bet as it has the Clocktower bar which is one of the more popular locals / reps hang outs. Whiskey Creek is across the road which is also popular and busy. The Village is across the road too and that has your usual selection of bars / restaurants - it's the closest Mammoth has got to a centre. Otherwise the bars / restaurants are all spread out across Mammoth Lakes, and you need a car or a late ski bus. MMI is miles away from the town, I would avoid unless you must have a hotel next to the lifts at Main Lodge. The Alpenhof is just across the street from the Village Gondola so although you can't ski back, you don't need to drive every day.

Basically if I'm in a group at Mammoth I go for a condo up at Canyon Lodge somewhere, if it's just me and the missus, or a very small group I'd go to the Alpenhof.

Edit : Forgot to say, the Alpenhof has two sections - as one poster stated above, one is like a motel (I've not stayed in that bit). The other section is the main building, where I've stayed a few times. This is like a normal hotel, so 3 or 4 floors I think, corridors, rooms with numbers on etc. Wink The motel sort of looks a bit grubby from the outside but it might be perfectly fine inside. The main section is clean and comfy if a little dated. As stated above, it has a jacuzzi spa, all usual hotel amenities and a good bar accessible from within the hotel. Generally a standard room is fine, they will probably put you in a deluxe unless you specifically request a standard (which is cheaper obviously)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Am I right in thinking the Mammoth Mountain Inn is away from the main town and village?

I think that it is important for you to realise that "main town and village" have to be understood in US speak and within that California speak.

The main town is spread out over a fairly wide area and nobody (that I saw) walks anywhere. They either drive or go in the bus. The town is decidedly not pedestrian friendly. It was built on the assumption, common in California, that a car is the default choice for transport

The "village" is a new creation courtesy of Intrawest (within the last 5 years or so ), is part of the town and is conveniently located for say the Alpenhof and the gondola. It is a village like Whistler Village is a village ie because they called it that when they built it from scratch a few years ago. It consists, as I recall of some shops (ski stuff/tourist stuff) with a few bars etc.

If I remember right the place we hired skis from was nearby. This is the link to them

http://www.skisurgeon.com/rentals.htm

They were good and I would have no hesitation going back.

Dont get me wrong regarding the above, we had a great time in Mammoth and I would go back but I am not sure how vibrant/easy the apres scene is, particularly on weekdays. Alot of people weekend from the LA area so Friday to Sunday it does fill up but weekdays were quiet (but we were there later in the season
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hatpegs/Colin, thanks for the extra information.

I guess the reason I'm finding it hard to work out where the best location is is precisely because the town is so spread out.

My main concern is being able to go out for a drink or two at some decent places in the evening and not having to drive back so I'd guess anywhere near the village is probably best.

Can't say I like the prediliction for driving everywhere in this part of the world, or the scattered nature of the towns - I guess this is one thing where Europe very definitely wins out!

Anyway, it's looking more and more like the Alpenhof is the best bet.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="roga"]hatpegs/Colin, thanks for the extra information.

Can't say I like the prediliction for driving everywhere in this part of the world, or the scattered nature of the towns - I guess this is one thing where Europe very definitely wins out!

quote]

Although car parking is infinitely superior (with exceptions like the day lot at Whistler which is like Dresden circa 1945) & the towns have been planned around cars hence the scattered nature. Car based skiing is not too bad particularly if you like to carry a lot of gear e.g. you can nip back to your car at lunchtime to switch skis, you can get to the slopes when you choose not when the bus goes etc.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob's spot on. In N.America, driving to the hill isn't a problem. The roads are empty and well ploughed/plowed and there are large car parks. If you park a long way from the lift, there'll be a a drop off for passengers and gear and tractor or something to cart you to the lifts. Carbon footprint aside, it's not a problem.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have no particular problem with car based skiing as such, I grew up skiing in Scotland and still enjoy time there and it's all car based. What I do have a problem with is the USA's attitude to cars though, so it's more the carbon footprint thing I'm bemoaning.

Saying that though I also think you can't beat the ambience and convenience of a nice European town or village, there's something nice about a 'real' centre with shops and bars to chill out in after a day on the slopes.
snow report
I agree about the centre thing, but N.American skiing has its compensations.
ski holidays
^ the snow being one I guess? Very Happy
ski holidays
That would certainly be one.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy