Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hiring skiis

Poster: A snowHead
Going to andorra on the 28th, so just a quick question. a few mates will be hiring skiis and boots once we arrive in pas de la casa, as none of them have credit cards will the shops accept cash deposits? how much will it roughly be?
Cheers brad snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brads, not sure,it's standard practice in France to take a card deposit. no debit cards either?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yeah just checked and they all have debit cards! so they will be fine then. cheers
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would have thought most shops would accept cash deposits to the value of the skis so 400 euro + maybe. They might accept a passport deposited with them instead but generally the credit card less are viewed with suspicion in many parts of the world.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Deposits for ski's - our hire shop must be very trusting then - I'm sure we didn't pay a deposit last year.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ever thought about booking them before you go? www.snowrental.net have always been good pricewise in my experience & I think they take debit cards.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum wrote:
Deposits for ski's - our hire shop must be very trusting then - I'm sure we didn't pay a deposit last year.

The Swiss typically don't. They're very trusting, mostly because the Swiss tend to be trustworthy with the small things.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eng_ch, it depends on the shop, and the resort in France. I don't think we have had to do this in Monetier, but we have in other places frequented by British tour ops. Not sure if it reflects badly on British tourists or on the shops for not trusting us. After all , they are expensive pieces of equipment.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helen Beaumont, now you mention it, we've never had to leave a deposit of any sort in Courchevel either - mind you, we've tended to use teh shops our friend, in whose apartment we've been staying, has negotiated discounts so maybe it's different because they know him
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont, Yes, they do seem very expensive bits of kit - I was thinking that boots were the expensive items, but I've been looking at some of the links that people have posted about ski's and I'm amazed at the costs of some of them - even a pretty ordinary pair is in the realms of a couple of hundred squid, no question that I will stick to my hire shop for the foreseeable future.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In Andorra, just bring your passport or driving license along and leave it as the deposit. It's not a cash guarantee they're after, just proof that you'll return the skis when you're finished with them.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thewobbler, doesn't that bother you, being parted from, particularly, your passport? I was thunderstruck when I went to Israel for a day trip on a cruise one time and they took all our passports away overnight. I just couldn't believe that they would separate a British National from their passport and I worried senseless in case I didn't get it back. I don't mind handing it over for a couple of minutes for a check, but to have it taken away......gives me the shivers every time particularly in a country as sensitive and 'foreign' as Israel.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
we weren't asked for deposits in either La Clusaz (but it was late in season and no Brits were there), or in Drouzin le Mont. In La Clusaz, they took a photocopy of passport - no card details or anything. In Drouzin they didn't even take a photocopy of, or even ask to see, passports. They just asked who we were staying with to which we answered "Sam and Wendy" and that was it. On previous trips we'd paid for hire as part of a package so they don't need to bother checking anything then.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, Aahhh Israel - went there for our honeymoon 11 years ago. I had a bit of trouble getting into the country because my passport photo showed me with hair, stubble and glasses but I now have absolutely no hair, no stubble (alopecia man) and no glasses. The two young women on passport control were having a right laugh.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum - maybe in Israel I might have a problem. But in Andorra, while i'm spending 8 hours on the slopes, my passport might as well spend 8 hours in a ski-hire shop as spend 8 hours in a suitcase in my hotel!
ski holidays
Brads, I came accross this same problem with a friend in Soldeu who had left his credit card in his apartment, they did however allow him to leave his driving licence. They were not interested in cash.
latest report
Never had to leave a card yet ! Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy