Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it snowing anywhere ?

Poster: A snowHead
It has just started snowing heavily in St Gervais.
Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowing in Meribel
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowing in mayrhofen
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowing in La Plagne.

View over valley from Plagne Centre:

http://www.trinum.com/ibox/laplagne/images/araucaria/araucaria2_MEGA.jpg

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 23-01-07 15:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very heavy in Serre Che still, webcam is still covered. I wish I could go out there next week.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Talked to a lady at the hotel at 11.00 (In Gressoney - Monte Rosa), she said it was 20 cm fresh in the village and lot more in the mountains. Been snowing all the time since then (heavier)and she said it will go on until tomorrow...YIHAA!
Will be interesting to se how much it adds up to. Looking good for friday when I'll arrive!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Which Hotel Bjorn?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowing all over the Grand Massif, Flaine, Samoens, Morrilon, Les Carroz, come on the 9th of Feb. Little Angel
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowing hard in Oz (ADH) at 1350m, as expected - we left there yesterday! Back in 2 weeks and it was badly needed so praying the temp stays low.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nick Dawes, I thought it was only me who left resorts on pow days Sad !!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dufour!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nassfeld (Austria) is one of the luckiest resorts of the current snowing. It has been snowing for over 24 hours, and they have been received 60-100 cm fresh snow.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowing in Peyragudes...................phew
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kerekip, half an excellent week may be better than a full mediocre week I guess.

There should be a lot of very happy snow bunnies tomorrow, erm, or Thursday once it's stopped fricking SNOWING! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bjorn, have a great time. We stayed at Jolanda Sport a few years back
snow conditions
Started snowing properly here about 5.00ish. Not stopped since and still snowing hard Very Happy

Had about 5cm already Laughing
snow report
Snowing very heavily in Verbier and Veysonnaz...
latest report
nuttyprofessor,and your proof ? wink
ski holidays
Bucketing it down in Leicester right now! snowHead
ski holidays
And Nottingham!
ski holidays
maggi, you should ring Spyderjon and tell him what he's missing Toofy Grin
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, ooooh - nasty!
latest report
47 cm this morning. Just taking a break from digging.....
ski holidays
which is approximately twice as much as snow-forecast predicted. For the last two years we have always got more than they forecast, sometimes, like now, significantly more. The Beaufortain is a very snowy area.... snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
A few centimetres on the ground in Surrey this morning. Might get the blades out wink
ski holidays
looks like it's snowing in many parts of the Alps now which is great Very Happy
pam w wrote:
roga wrote:
I'm amused/bemused by how fixated everyone is with the Alps, even people who haven't booked, when we've got this literally up the road (and I'm in Bristol!).

in my only experience of skiing in the Cairngorms on a beautiful, snowy, weekend the scenery and surroundings were bliss on Saturday but the queues absolutely horrendous and it took hours to get just a few runs in. On the Sunday the wind rose steadily until all the lifts were closed, my son and I climbed up a little way for "one last run" and I fell and damaged a knee ligament on the way down. On the whole, and although I love Scotland (lived there for 5 years) I prefer the experience of the last few weeks in the Alps, on thin snow but under bright sunny skies without a lift queue in sight. Still not snowing here though. Sodding stars have appeared....

Hmmm, sorry pam w but I think judging all Scottish skiing, as you appear to be, on the basis of one experience, on a couple of days, the one time (in five years) that you went skiing in Scotland is a little unreasonable. Forgive me but if you only went once in five years living there I'd suggest you were hardly the keenest Scottish skier.

Each to their own and if you wish to judge the skiing in an entire country on this basis than fine, that's up to you, and if you've had some sun in the Alps and like that then fine, I like it too, but personally I hope anyone else reading your comments will realise that they're a trice unbalanced and will make up their own minds.

Presumably if your only experience of skiing in Scotland had been at Nevis on Monday in gorgeous sunny conditions with beautiful snow you'd be telling us all that Scotland was better than anywhere else in the world! Personally I prefer to base my opinions on years of skiing on Scotland (I grew up near Aviemore and learnt there as a kid) and I'll say that conditions, especially at this time of year, can be variable, the weather can be awful and the snow bad at times. You're better off not planing months ahead but planning a weekend trip near enough to the date you're going so you can see what the snow and weather conditions are likely to be like. However, if you pick your days correctly and the weather is good you can have world class skiing in Scotland and I think those piccies from Nevis go some way in showing that's the case.

BTW, these days the queues are invariably not that bad, although on weekends when the snow is good in the main season they can be longer - late season is invariably quiet whenever you go, as was the case in gorgeous conditions last April and May. Having said that Glencoe was apparently so good last weekend, and word had spread, that it was inundated with people - that's an exception though.
snow report
Woke up this morning to find 2 cms snow in the mews in Notting Hill!
latest report
apparantely it has not snowed in L2A at all over the last day ot so, webs cams have been hit by kids with cotton wool and temperatures are +6 at Cretes. Any photos that have been posted on here with snow are old ones too Shocked

Nothwithstanding that, I am still going on Sunday ! wink but would suggest anyone else who booked a trip should cancel immedialtely (if not soner) Little Angel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maggi wrote:
And Nottingham!

If it's like Derby, it'll have vanished by lunch.
ski holidays
Snow just started again in Leicester. Not much 'base' left from last night though Madeye-Smiley
latest report
skanky, Yes, it's gone now. And Andorra (going on Sunday) has not had as much as forecast and they've revised the forecast again. Little if any more Evil or Very Mad . (That was in the forecasts I understand like metcheck and snowforecast - not the squiggly coloured graph thingies that you love so much Laughing .)
snow conditions
maggi, I wouldn't say I "love" them... Shocked Anyway I've not really looked at Andorra much, but when I did it didn't look like a huge amount (not that I can quantify snowfall anyway).
snow report
roga, sorry, I was just recounting, accurately, my own experience and not claiming to reach any judgement on Scottish skiing as a whole. I did keep looking at the snow conditions but with a demanding full time job and three kids you need to plan ahead and it's very difficult to just "drop everything and go" when the snow conditions are good, which seems to be the essence of Scottish skiing. However I doubt if many snowHead s have spent much time on a dry slope without a lift (another Scottish speciality?) so I would not accept your implication that I am a softie. wink It's really good for the leg muscles to have to climb up every inch you ski down.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
roga, sorry, I was just recounting, accurately, my own experience and not claiming to reach any judgement on Scottish skiing as a whole. I did keep looking at the snow conditions but with a demanding full time job and three kids you need to plan ahead and it's very difficult to just "drop everything and go" when the snow conditions are good, which seems to be the essence of Scottish skiing.

If you live in Scotland (as you did) it's not a hassle, all the ski areas are within a couple of hours driving from virtually anywhere on the mainland.

I manage to get up a few times a year despite having kids and a job (is there such a thing as an undemanding one? I'd love to find one!). From this distance it's just basically a matter of keeping an eye on what's hapening and getting it together to go when things are looking good, it's really not that difficult.
Quote:
However I doubt if many snowHead s have spent much time on a dry slope without a lift (another Scottish speciality?)

Not sure I get you're drift - as far as I know Scottish dry slopes have lifts, Hillend is the longest in the UK (Europe?) and also has a chairlift!
Quote:
so I would not accept your implication that I am a softie. wink It's really good for the leg muscles to have to climb up every inch you ski down.

Errrm, there are lifts at all the five Scottish centres from funicular trains to gondolas to chairlifts to surface lifts, you've really lost me here!?!
snow report
Roga - never having skiied in Scotland, am (idly) considering taking the children up there next weekend - what's your advice on the best way to get there from Bristol (and indeed, where to stay)?
snow conditions
poma wrote:
Roga - never having skiied in Scotland, am (idly) considering taking the children up there next weekend - what's your advice on the best way to get there from Bristol (and indeed, where to stay)?

There's a couple of decent ways to get up, either Easyjet from Bristol to Inverness airport, there you can hire a car (avoid Europcar though - they're a nightmare and away from the airport too so you have wait for a minibus and then it's slow in the office too) so Avis or one of the other ones based at the airport are best. Alternatively you can get a bus or taxi to Inverness train station and get a train to Aviemore (which is very quick).

I'm intending to look into the Scotrail overnight sleeper from London this year though because it's got a number of advantages over the plane. Namely you don't waste half a day in airports and can save on accomodation for the two nights you sleep on the train, you get dropped in Aviemore in the morning, so you can grab breakfast and drop your luggage then get the first ski bus up to the slopes, and it's fun! There were offers on a while back when I looked but you have to book a week or more in advance as I recall, it's worth thinking about though but you'll have to get over to London obviously. Also on standard sleeper fares children aged 15 and under are 1/2 price, and there may be family tickets as well. You can get more information by going to the bargain Berths page on firstscotrail.com. THe site is a nightmare to use in my experience though so you might be better enquiring by phone on 08457 48 49 50 - make sure you're clear it's the Scotrail sleeper you want to book though and be insistent you want the cheapest fare. For Nevis you can do the same to Fort William, then there's a ski bus I believe.

As for accomodation I'm not so sure because I usually stay with family or friends but I believe there are some good hotels at reasonable prices and the youth hostels are pretty decent too, there's one by Loch Morlich that's aparently great. You're best bet is to ask about this and anything else over on Winterhighland (you can post as a guest) although some SnowHeads might be able to advise on accomodation too.
snow conditions
absolutely belting down here in Swansea, i think i might take my board out to the local park later Very Happy
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
absolutely belting down here in Swansea, i think i might take my board out to the local park later Very Happy

I was thinking the same, but none of our Director's ski Laughing
snow conditions
boredsurfin, my MD is my fellow ski trip mate so he would be dissapointed if i did not sneak off, infact he expects an invite too as he lives opposite the park 1
ski holidays
rayscoops, give us a heads up on the conditions a bit later as I'm in your neck of the woods this weekend.

Cheers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy