Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it snowing anywhere ?

Poster: A snowHead
AxsMan, I'll join you - maybe better than Morzine !
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peterborough looked very, very slightly white. For a couple of minutes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Its snowing in Andorra - YAY!!!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SP1R1T, Well the pistes here aren't up to much but I know a couple of good pubs! snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davejsy wrote:
carled, so what if people want to get excited at the prospect of snow, nothings ever cut and dry, doesn't mean they are noobs (whatever that means). Sounds like you should spend a bit more time on etiquette and anger management, as oppose to expert weather predictions. Shocked

That's a bit harsh!

I for one am a little tired of looking at snow-forecast (I think the former Iraqi information minister is in charge here) and others' over optimistic snow forecasts only to find that as the date of predicted snowfall draws nearer, the amounts forecast suddenly drop or vanish. I know they don't control the weather but I wish they wouldn't be quite so OTT with their long range forecasts.

Carled, Brian and Skanky have proved to be much more honest and reliable in their predictions and are just trying give people the real picture.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 23-01-07 0:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whoooaaaa there kids, Carled has just been trying to calm people down and put some reality on the situation. You may be saying "in your face" at the moment. But if he would have been right, at least the warning would have taken the sting out of the bad news.

I still think you should all cancel your holidays to Andorra. More snow for me
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is still snowing but a little warmer on my balcony...big pretty flakes - good for watching but little else...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
its not snowing here now, and i can see far to much of the mountain so it tells me its not snowing up there now either. But the night is young and it should start again.

i hope!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Apparently there was snow on Leckhampton Hill in Cheltenham, but that was according to local radio.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ok here's my take on things.

Context - I had a wonderful 3 weeks of fresh snow - ski anywhere I please including some 30cm+ powder days in Canada over Xmas and New Year so if your frame of reference is different then you might find more to be cheery about.

I had 3 day weekend in the Swiss Alps in one of the higher resorts. I skied 1 day, 1 day was out due to weather & 1 out through choice (although weather related closures had an impact). I certainly could have skied both available days but don't exactly fell I missed too much. Conditions were not appalling on the very limited amount that was open but more fun/challenge of the super firm piste in the morning/ manmade slush bumps in the afternoon variety.

A noticeable system change was occuring. It would have to spectacular to make coverage as good as I remembe at the same time last season but sustained over a couple of weeks could make the whole experience distinctly more agreeable. New fall does however need to be packed down to make a difference so I'd guess a cycle of 2 or more storms with some consolidation time between really is needed.

Renting slalom skis or a good edge tune is a good idea. They made a world of difference to grip on ice. Forget about big powder days - even if you got one there's a good chance you'd be through to rocks.

The season is far from over but it will take more than a couple of day's snow to make conditions "average". If you've the right attitude you can still have fun however.

Disclaimer- conditions may vary by resort

Edit - I acknowledge hyprocrisy re my previously stated view that a (mid) fat ski can be do it all - anyone got some wroldcup slalom weapons for my quiver?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just to prove it click here for the Nevis range photo gallery to take a look at the stunning conditions today.

Looks amazing to me - blue skys and by the looks of one of the photos powder in the back corries - fatbob what was that about forgetting big powder days?

I'm amused/bemused by how fixated everyone is with the Alps, even people who haven't booked, when we've got this literally up the road (and I'm in Bristol!).

Thankfully some enlightened people seem to have taken advantage of conditions in the west over the weekend, Glencoe was apparently very busy and I'd guess some came from south of the border, although probably not from south of Watford rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
roga,
Lucky I got my disclaimer in - Back bowls at Nevis are world class on a real powder day Very Happy even if the braveheart chair isn't a highspedd detachable six pack.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 22-01-07 21:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
^ lol, good move!

Looks like it might have been of those world class days Very Happy

Here's to more of them this season snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Started snowing here at approx 5.00pm but not really a significant amount Confused

Hopefully will snow more tonight as forecast Little Angel snowforecast.com wrong again Puzzled

We need snowfalls in small amounts not one big dump otherwise the avalanche risk will be off the scale and some of the resort will be closed rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skanky Thanks for the info - being unschooled in meteo stuff, can you say what that might mean for the Jungfrau region in the next few days. - I'm not anxious, you understand Confused Confused Confused
latest report
Brian T, it looks like the whole Alpine region will get snow...as to how much and where, I can't say sorry. It looks like there will be 36 hours of snowfall (maybe longer but it'll be tailing off), at light rates mainly, with heavier bits embedded. I assume that they are mainly topography induced.

For those who are worried whether it'll come watch this: http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=holiday&jaar=-3&soort=loop3uur&c=fr it's currently near the Spanish border and moving NE. More should arrive over Tuesday night, and carry on all day. That's according to GFS (BBC weather said something similar, too) and at this range, it should be reasonably accurate.

We'll see, I guess. wink
latest report
Anyone seen any snow yet ?
snow report
boris360,
Quote:

That's a bit harsh!

Maybe but then again telling someone they have their head stuck up their "Arris" isn't exactly polite! Confused
snow conditions
phew, 'tis snowing in Peyragudes in the Pyrenees. we're going out for 9 days on monday. i don't fancy a walking holiday. the children, doubley so. And it's cold there.

mind you , twas a bit parky floating in the severn estuary on a surfboard at dawn this morning Very Happy good bore though. (sorry, not trying to turn this into a boreriding thread) Embarassed
snow conditions
Quote:

I'm amused/bemused by how fixated everyone is with the Alps, even people who haven't booked, when we've got this literally up the road (and I'm in Bristol!).

in my only experience of skiing in the Cairngorms on a beautiful, snowy, weekend the scenery and surroundings were bliss on Saturday but the queues absolutely horrendous and it took hours to get just a few runs in. On the Sunday the wind rose steadily until all the lifts were closed, my son and I climbed up a little way for "one last run" and I fell and damaged a knee ligament on the way down. On the whole, and although I love Scotland (lived there for 5 years) I prefer the experience of the last few weeks in the Alps, on thin snow but under bright sunny skies without a lift queue in sight. Still not snowing here though. Sodding stars have appeared....
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Ok here's my take on things.

Edit - I acknowledge hyprocrisy re my previously stated view that a (mid) fat ski can be do it all - anyone got some wroldcup slalom weapons for my quiver?

Worldcup SL skis in a 165cm, and I went powder skiing in 15-20cms fresh lines today on them. I might wimp out if we get the big 30cm+ days though.

Oh, and boooo, its stopped snowing (for a while) now.
snow report
It's Snowing in Serre Chevalier @ 1300m
and they are nice BIG flakes.. at last......
i think i will build a snowman.... or i might go skiing ... NO a coffee first

time 07:10 local GMT+1
jc
snow report
paulhothersall, what I've been saying for ages! Slalom skis can go off piste. Only really difficult in breakable crust, but otherwise rather hard work in very deep snow, but skiable. Very Happy

snowing here, but very fine flakes.
latest report
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

oh yes!!!! very very white valley

freshies here i come
snow conditions
It's been snowing here in Whistler snowHead Had a fab day out with the Dave Murray guys.
ski holidays
Snowing here but only just started Little Angel
latest report
anyone..........is it snowing where you are ? (pref switzerland)
snow conditions
Just started snowing here in Zell am See. I´m still in the resort though - I haven´t been up the mountain today.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seen on the cams that it snows in MonteRosa, should go on all day. Time to bring out the FAT skis!
latest report
 brian
brian
pam w, when was that ? I remember the days of 10+ deep lines of queuing for the White Lady t-bar but they're long gone. Even at the weekends you rarely see much of a queue nowadays.

fatbob, detachable six pack ? Laughing If the Braveheart was a 2 seater fixed grip that actually ran now and again we'd be laughing !
snow report
Warning, large download (3mb+): http://www2.buienradar.nl/maps/zoom.php
snow report
Its been snowing quite heavily for 8 hours. I've got brand new skis to try but can't go out 'cause I feel sick in 'bad visibility' conditions. I wish it would stop snowing! wink
snow conditions
chris, Laughing you just can't please some people!
snow report
carled wrote:
skanky:
Quote:
(conversely some that are forecast may disappear)

Oh god... I can hear the wails of anguish from those-that-believe-snowguess already... rolling eyes

You hardly have a good track recort. rolling eyes NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
snow conditions
Starting to close in very nicely in the Tarentaise. No snow yet, but you can tell its coming Very Happy
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Sounds very encouraging Smile Let us know when it's in full swing snowHead
snow report
Scooter, I am not actually there Embarassed , but do have several webcams minimized on my PC Very Happy
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, LOL, and there was me thinking you spend nearly all your time in La Plagne Laughing

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 23-01-07 14:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Italian side of the border seems to be winning a ce moment ....

snow report
snowing lightly in Tignes, but glacier closed due to abd vis
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy