Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it snowing anywhere ?

Poster: A snowHead
After all the doom and gloom in the past month we have now had a few predictions of snow this week, so, are those predictions correct?

Is it snowing where you are snowHead s. Hope it is so let us know
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
8 inches of fresh on CairnGorm Mountain and belting it down again by the look of the webcam. If CairnGorm Mountain is the only place it's snowing, well there's a first for everything! Laughing

Oh wait it's snowing at the Lecht too! snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There was snow in them there hills when landing at Inverness yesterday, and so cold that we had to de-ice before leaving...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
looks like Scotland is the place to be..... the new Morzine perhaps wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowed in Sheffield last night (and a quick flurry this morning).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not yet in Switzerland:
http://www.sf.tv/sfmeteo/wetter_aktuell_niederschlag.php
Weather forecast now calls for occasional snow tomorrow down to 800m really getting going on Tuesday night til Wednesday.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow is forecast in Surrey tomorrow evening. I'll believe it when I see it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A quick look at the three "main" models. Seems that after Wednesday it's a bit of an unknown quantity. All the models have the high pressure ridging eastwards which moves the cold air that way and brings drier air over the Alps, so though it's cold there's less snow. However the amount and timing of the ridging varies from model to model and so does what happens afterwards. GFS, UKMO & ECMWF have the high pressure move to cover both the UK & Europe and thus shove most of the colder and wetter air further north and east - however (the Countryfile forecast hinted at snow for the Alps for Friday which neither ECMWF nor GFS show). After the weekend, ECMWF & GFS build the high pressure, and continue to warm things up gradually throughout the week (UKMO doesn't go that far), so it looks cold until Wednesday then more average after that - more average. Snowfall seems to depend on any disturbances in the northerly flow (mainly for the UK, northern Europe and the Pyrenees this week) and from any low pressure systems that develop over the northen Med and Italy. Thus any snow that does arrive will be very difficult to predict (esp. amounts) and may well be missed more than 24 hours ahead (conversely some that are forecast may disappear) and will also depend on local factors. Going to be an interesting week or two (if I have the time to follow it).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skanky:
Quote:
(conversely some that are forecast may disappear)

Oh god... I can hear the wails of anguish from those-that-believe-snowguess already... rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
not yet but its cold and its very overcast and it looks like it is snowing at the southern end of the valley!

will update when it does
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
carled, maybe I should have emphasised the 50/50 nature of it and that it's from Wednesday. Tuesday is set to happen, it's the amount that's up for grabs. After that people will see some clear days and some predicted snowfalls depending on where they look. Beyond about 24 hours, I'd say that each of those is 50/50. Local & professional national forecasters will refine those odds, but rely on the former for resort specific forecasts. Also I wouldn't argue too much if someone contradicted what I wrote above (if they weren't just being bloody minded that is wink ).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is still snow on my car from last night.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
laundryman wrote:
Snow is forecast in Surrey tomorrow evening. I'll believe it when I see it.

Hope you have put your Winter tyres on the car wink Toofy Grin

Snow in Surrey, that'll be Britain brought to a standstill by Blizzard
headlines in the papers on Wednesday Laughing rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin wrote:

Our office is on an impressive hill - might be fun!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
laundryman wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:

Our office is on an impressive hill - might be fun!

Your office may be the only place that sees the snow wink
snow report
skanky, it would make very little difference mate. I've been banging on for weeks about how it's impossible to predict the amount of snow that'll fall and yet the last week or so has seen SO many posts from (mainly) noobs on here on the emotional rollercoaster as GFS swings about every few hours... "snow forecast says 59.4cm due next week!", "oh no... snow forecast says 3cm due next week, winter is over", "yahoo! 24.7cm of snow due tomorrow!", "where's the forecast snow gone?", etc...

I'm employing the "count to ten" method of avoiding responding to the posts, to be honest... it ain't worth the aggravation with this much hope & deperation in the air!
ski holidays
maybe all the other weather websites should be closed down, then we could just have carled.net - life would be pretty boring though wouldn't it. . . . Sad
latest report
I was skiing in Monetier and have just come back due to bad visibilty (it was snowing). After skiing in tropical conditions for 2 weeks, it was a huge shock to be on the mountain in more typical January tempratures (-7 at 2200m 9.30 this morning). Looking out on the higher peaks that had lost snow cover due to the high winds, the new snow has covered most of them again. Good news!
snow report
It certainly looks like Scotland is the place to be, there's currently a blizzard at The Lech apparently and loads of fresh, as Winterhighland says, at Cairngorm. Piccies from the other resorts from yesterday suggest there was excellent skiing, powder reported at Glencoe IIRC, and there's probably more in the west too.

I can hear a weekend in Scotland beckoning Very Happy
ski holidays
carled, with you & brian providing such a good service, and with me being very busy recently, I've just stuck to watching for La Plagne for the build-up for next week and posting how I see it for that. My lack of knowledge of the layout of the (especially French) Alps has also hindered answering people's questions.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 22-01-07 14:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
davejsy, I don't set myself up as an expert, but I can tell you the truth in that it is impossible to predict snowfall to even "a few cm" of accuracy. so there is no point in believing the crap put out by snow-forecast and metcheck, et al... If you don't like the truth, go stick your head further up your own 'arris, if that's physically possible (which I suspect it's not as it sounds like you're neck deep already).
snow conditions
Flurrying yesterday at 1000m on the valley bottom in Engelberg. Snowline from Saturday overnight snow down to about 1400m I'd guess. Far from epic conditions though but an encouraging turn of events.

Accuracy of snowforecast.com from 3 days out poor based on this experience.
latest report
Just had a smattering of hail here.
snow report
carled, so what if people want to get excited at the prospect of snow, nothings ever cut and dry, doesn't mean they are noobs (whatever that means). Sounds like you should spend a bit more time on etiquette and anger management, as oppose to expert weather predictions. Shocked
ski holidays
davejsy, can't be bothered to dignify that with a proper response. Go do some research and leave me in peace please.
ski holidays
Sleeting/snowing in Sussex atm, apparently.
ski holidays
skanky, not this bit of Sussex, it isn't!
snow report
chris, brilliant news .

A few flakes falling up here in Durham
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Michelle, I didn't say *that* bit. wink
snow report
Seems it snows in Madonna di campiglio, Madesimo, Livigno, northern parts of Italy.
Talked to a guy whos in Gressoney, he said it was about to start there aswell, fingers crossed. What looked like 60-100 cm more looks like 40-65 cm now. Well thats and cold (snowcanaons) will be just fine in time for friday Very Happy
latest report
looks like it's snowing in serre chevalier
http://www.serre-chevalier-ski.com/cam/cdb.jpg

EDIT=large image replaced by link-mods.
snow report
bluddy kids sticking cotton wool on the cams again !
latest report
It' snowing in Isola and presumably the rest of the Southern Alps - albeit quite light athe moment . This system is very fickle as the cold and snow ( i also assume it is snowing in the middle of France) - nevertheless everywhere looks good for the next couple of days -- I can't run as far as Austria but Italy and France both look good ... it's even going to be very cold on the coast for the next couple of days Shocked
ski holidays
snowing in the valley right now Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
New snow on the roof at Tougnette! A step in the right direction.

snowHead
ski holidays
nothing here yet, and after looking very heavy and ragged earlier this afternoon, and ready to drop their cargo, the clouds are now much higher and not looking like much is going to happen. Temperature been a little above freezing all day, just about dropped to freezing now, and they did blow some new snow overnight. I think it's going to be touch and go how much we get.
snow report
It's always good to compare the forecast with the current and GFS has a very similar rainfall pattern to the current radar. The low pressure system is currently over the Pyrenees and moves into northern Italy and deepends by 15 hpa (mb) over the next 24 hours, bringing the bulk of the precipitation in overnight. The warm front has moved into and through the area and that's probably what brought snow to the southern Alps, and the thicker cloud in parts. Once the central part of the low moves in with the warm front, cold front, occluded front and associated triple point (point where the three meet), you should see considerably more snow. The system fills and moves away Wednesday night, and with any final snow falling from the back edge of the occlusion wrapping around the back of the system. Compare: http://meteonet.nl/aktueel/brackall.htm with the GFS rainfall maps: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html
snow conditions
Our local RAF (Boscombe Down) and Army (Middle Wallop) weather stations are both in agreement (!) that it will be snowing / sleet showers here at 09:00 Tuesday morning snowHead
latest report
My mate is in Tignes and has had two good days skiing, good conditions and ........
....... it has just started snowing and is cold as fek (his words) so maybe no skiing tommorrow due to too much snow !
ski holidays
It snowed in Leicester this morning - pistes aren't too good though, no grooming and no gradient Laughing

(and the 'snowfall lasted about 10 minutes) Toofy Grin carled, are you up for a thrash down Bradgate if it continues? snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy