Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Base Repair

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My skis took a fair amount of base damage in Flaine recently including two two gouges down to core. I've filled the bigger holes using Toko powder but don't really expect this to last particularly long as the repair is a lot softer than the original material.

I'd like to do a more permanent repair but not sure what the best approach is for diy. I can find all sorts of hardware and forms of repair material but not sure what best matches the original material.

I have a glue gun already so the cheapest approach would be to use this and find ptex sticks the right size, is this the best approach and where can I get the right material?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
spyderjon, spyderjon
fixes skis for the kramer man
fixes gouges, any size
waxes skis so you can fly
Look Out!
here comes the spyderjon

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

here comes the spyderjon

or, maybe not - he's away on his holidays. He is the one to ask though.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rich,

surface scratches - Toko powder
medium gouges- ptex stick (drip-in or ptex gun)
medium gouges with metal contact - metalgrip ribbon
deep gouges to core - metalgrip for small ones, epoxy a patch in for large ones.

The generic glue gun & ptex stick approach tends not to work very well even if the ptex stick is completely melted, because there isn't enough heat applied to the base for a really good bond.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not sure if a generic glue gun will get hot enough to melt the ptex. A good ptex gun also heats the base http://www.kandie-imports.com/kandietec350se.html (not cheap) . It uses a harder ptex candle. You might be able to melt one with a flame. As spyderjon is away I know Bartletts in Hillingdon sell them.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex, where do I get metalgrip ribbon from? I've done the usual web searches but no UK hits.

I think I'll try the glue gun route, not much to lose really just the cost of the ptex stick. I assume Kandie Imports can supply if they sell the guns - cheers gsb
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rich - you'll be wanting spyderjon for metalgrip - he's just sent some to me in France.

gsb - you're right that a generic glue gun isn't hot enough to melt ptex.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rich, ah, yes, unfortunate that your local FK/SKS distributor is in France. Check with Kandie for Item #3390/#3391 as shown here.

(that takes a lot more heat than a regular ptex stick, a mini blow torch with a largeish soldering iron tip is more like it & don't for get to press out the bubbles with a large cold heatsink afterwards)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex, my glue gun is gas type and is adjustable so has a good chance of melting this stuff, it can smoke regular glue sticks. If not, there's always a way Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy