Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski advice for a snowblader

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys -

Could do with some advice ski wise - first, here's a potted background..

Started skiing when I was 10, went for yearly trips with family + group for 3 years - had very little confidence, could parralell turn reasonably well. Went again at 17 with a group again, took snowblades as I thought they'd be fun and less hassle to carry around. Had a nightmare trying to skid and slide around the mountain. Didn't enjoy myself. Perservered at 18 with another trip with 1 friend rather than a big group, still on snowblades, who was considerably better and way more confident than me. With the option of drive my friend crazy or just quit messing around and go for it, I managed the latter and by the end of the week finished up skiing a lot more aggressively, carving and basically improved a lot.

Going out for an 8 week trip this season (1 in Fernie then 6+ in the Alps, fwiw) and after spending every day at work reading ski forums, managed to peer-pressure myself into ditching the "gayblades" (though I still like them!), I decided I really want to transition to full length skis. What I'm wondering is -

What kind of skis should I look at demoing? I'll either buy in Fernie or Morzine, but thinking about it I really want something I can play about on (jump, off piste, riding switch) so a pair of twintips seems the way forwards - but I'm concerned that their lack of sidecut compared to dedicated carvers will leave me struggling. So - am I better going for something carvey or something twin tipped?

My shortlist of "stuff to test" is:
Scott Missions
Salomon Foils
Volkl Karmas
K2 PE's
Fischer RX8s

Other thing I'm not sure of - since I found my feet on snowblades, I can't really objectively test full length skis until I get to a level of competence that there's a noticable difference.. and I'm not sure when it's best to buy skis - france or canada? As Canada is only a weeks holiday I don't really want to be trapsing back and forth to the ski shop, but it's money saved on rentals.. swings and roundabouts!

Anyone have any advice for me? Smile

Sorry about the length! I tend to overthink these kind of things a lot Smile

Dave
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
toiletduckuk, I would spend the 1st week on a pair of piste skis just to acclimatise to the extra length, then demo the shortlist. Good luck.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
toiletduckuk, start with short skis, and I wouldn't start with any of the ones you mention. They're all relatively stiff. If you went from blade to those, you'd never turn them. I would wean yourself in gradually by starting with a mini ski at around 130 or 140 and then move on as you feel comfortable. Using blades for a while, you'll have lost a lot of your turning skills too, so you'll probably need some lessons to help you along.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski, thanks for that. It was what I was trying to say but you put it much more eloquently.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy