Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

.gdb files (GPS ROUTE FILES)....

Poster: A snowHead
....Is it possible to upload .gdb files (Garmin GPS) for snowHeads to view on a thread....?

...or can the be only viewed by using a link......?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go for the link.....much easier!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
........ thanks Elizabeth B,

.......just got to find, or set up a 'place' on-line to rest the file

Do you know if there is any section of the Media Zone capable of holding .gdb files ....?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BernardC, you need to talk to Yoda about that - currently I think it only supports specified file types and .gdb isn't one of them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Hoppo, ...... will ask the Master .......

...we did a day tour in St. Foy the other week and I have managed to capture the route for posterity

....even 'eeeeeeeeelaines Snow Bridge Too Far' can be pin-pointed ..... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BernardC, I'm not familiar with the garmin files - how do you view a .gdb file? Do you need garmin software? Is it possible for you to "print" the map/route as an image and upload that instead? .gdb is also a type of database file extension so I'm wary of allowing file types which I know nothing about to be uploaded.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yoda, ......thanks..... I remembered where I saw one - on Leelau's website;

I hope leelau, won't mind if I highlight the gps route details.

I will check on the files/extensions and software aspects.

edit;

Brainwave Idea In fact I shall ask Leelau,
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
He seems to have loaded it as a jpg, so I guess you should be able to do that too?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Isn't there a plug-in thingy to stick the files in Google Earth as well so people can look at the routes in 3D?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think you need the paid version of Google Earth for the general GPS link, but you can get programs to convert tracks to KML format which standard Google Earth reads. JPG would be nice because then anyone could see it...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you have your tracks in .gpx format then they are more likely to be readable in different software I believe, otherwise gpsbabel will be needed to be used to convert between the different formats.

You can load a couple of different format into gpsvisualizer I think, but the .gpx format defiantly works, and it will either create a jpg of your track or will convert it to a .kml that you can load into Google Earth or as a Google Maps overlay.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Here are a couple of my tracks from days skiing in Meribel-Mottaret last week converted to Google Earth .kmz format using gpsvisualiser:

one
two
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bernard - those were generated by a friend of mine who then did a screen capture of the tracks and uploaded it as jpg. Most Garmins can do that from what I recall. I've asked him for some details on what software he used but I think they were the standard Garmin software bundled with the GPS
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
........ thanks all .... definitely trying to keep it as simple as possible....

LeeLau, - when you get the details from your friend, perhaps you will post them here....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spideog, those are nice - and I see the imagery around VT has improved since I last looked...
snow conditions
LeeLau wrote:
Bernard - those were generated by a friend of mine who then did a screen capture of the tracks and uploaded it as jpg. Most Garmins can do that from what I recall. I've asked him for some details on what software he used but I think they were the standard Garmin software bundled with the GPS

Yes, those images do look as if they came from the Garmin Mapsource software which you can get direct from the Garmin site here. Of course you'd still be in need of the maps to go with that as well though.
ski holidays
Spideog, ....yes I have Garmin (Comp) Alpes 1:25,000 Topo maps & normally only use GPS for emergencies, but I had seen LeeLau,'s route file and decided to record an Eagle Day Tour at St. Foy on January 12th for posterity..! I can view in in all it's glory Toofy Grin on my PC and thought the others might like to have a copy....
ski holidays
BernardC, if you can see it on your screen then you can do a screen grab (Alt-Print Screen, puts the currently active window into the clipboard and you can then past it into Paint and save in a format of your choice) and post it as an image... No one would need special software to view it then...
ski holidays
Hoppo, ...... just done a test on your Method A - it works...!

...... not sure if it's as clear as previous examples but will experiment.....
ski holidays
OK - I just confirmed that it is the standard Garmin Mapsource software. It was also just a simple screen capture. Interesting toys
latest report
LeeLau, ..... thanks ... I have completed one and uploaded it on the snowheads Mediazone, but it isn't as clear as yours.

I will have to fiddle about and try some more..... snowHead
snow report
...... I am not very often a dimwit.....but in this case I will make an exception.....

.......my GPS offering is now a lot clearer ..... it did help to double click on the image to make it full size.... Embarassed
ski holidays
For the curious, here is a thumbnail to BernardC's trek:

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy