Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isere 20th Jan (spoiler warning for Men's Downhill result)

Poster: A snowHead
Skied at Val d'Isere today and watched the men's Downhill. Snow conditions are pretty good considering the general doom and gloom around the Alps. Snow cover was good down as far as La Daille, with only one or two small patches where the pistebashers had broken through to ground. Lower slopes seem in a slightly better conditon than the equivalent slopes in Les Arcs (although this might be due to a more favourable aspect rather than more snowfall). Higher up conditions were pretty good, with great grippy snow and hardpack.

The weather is very warm today (currently 8° at 1800m), with lovely blue skies and no wind. The snow softened quickly, making the skiing even more enjoyable. A great day all round Smile If you're heading to Espace Killy in the next few days don't be misled by the doom-mongers in the press (and here on snowHeads) - conditions on piste are mostly OK and often good, and set to improve this week.

Early morning shot at Bellevarde

Looking across to a very tasty looking Grand Motte

The start of the OK race course

The Men's Downhill was very enjoyable (this race should have taken place in Chamonix-Les Houches but was moved to Val because of poor snow conditions). There was a great atmosphere in the finish area, and it was fun to see the racers up close (I travelled up the Funicular at the same time as Didier Cuche and Peter Fill). The crowd was a bit smaller than previous races I've seen at Val d'Isere, but what they lacked in numbers they made up in noise, with the usual range of cow bells, air horns, drum troupes, etc. The fact that there was a French winner, Pierre Dalcin with his first WC victory, ensured great celebrations from the French crowd. His fan club couldn't believe their guy was still in the lead as all the later running top names failed to beat his time. When Walchoffer, starting at 30, didn't beat Dalcin's time the crowd went bananas. Some photos of a great event:

The finish area as the crowd begins to gather

Herman Maier being interviewed after course inspection

A louder than average Fan Club!

Celebrating a French victory

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 20-01-07 15:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, er it's the 20th...?

Now I'll go and read your post!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that Rob, nice pics too! God knows why it wasn't on Eurosport. I understood they had all the races except Austrian ones Puzzled .
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great pics!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, that doesn't look too shabby at all! snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar,

Manged to get over and see some of the race but didn't manage to bump into you.

Blagged our way into hospitality and enjoyed a few vino's & some tasty nibbles.

Some spetacular falls but hopefully all ok.

Planning on watching the SC tomorrow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
eng_ch wrote:
rob@rar, er it's the 20th...?

Now I'll go and read your post!

Embarassed title corrected and watch brought up to date. Good thing you pointed that out otherwise I might have missed my flight home...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stewart woodward wrote:
rob@rar,

Manged to get over and see some of the race but didn't manage to bump into you.

I was standing by the Dalcin fan club - they were the noisy, flag waving bunch!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
maggi wrote:
Thanks for that Rob, nice pics too! God knows why it wasn't on Eurosport. I understood they had all the races except Austrian ones Puzzled .

Really? The big screen at the finish area was showing Eurosport and it looked like it was a live broadcast (it followed on directly from the Women's DH in Cortina - 2 for the price of 1).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
laundryman wrote:
rob@rar, that doesn't look too shabby at all! snowHead

Nope, pretty good really Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
maggi wrote:

Really? The big screen at the finish area was showing Eurosport and it looked like it was a live broadcast (it followed on directly from the Women's DH in Cortina - 2 for the price of 1).

I think they were showing the womens racing because a French woman (possibly a local of Val D'Isere) was leading - I don't know if she won.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
maggi, It was on Eurosport.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs, What time????
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maggi, It followed on after the Cortina race at 11:25.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I missed it Evil or Very Mad . It was scheduled at 12.45pm. It can't have been on for long though as I kept flicking channels just in case. On the other had I did get to see both runs of the University men's slalom on Eurosport 2. It was very good but snow conditions were terrible!
ski holidays
what time does the mens combined start tomorrow might head up
snow report
skinutter wrote:
what time does the mens combined start tomorrow might head up

The downhill is at 11.00am. Not sure about the slalom.
snow report
Just watched some of the race, really pleased for P-E Dalcin, his form has been improving this season. Guess there will be bit of a party in Val C tonight. Shame i'm not there for a couple of weeks.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy